Powered by Outside

Can a tapered fork fit into a non-tapered headtube?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can a tapered fork fit into a non-tapered headtube?

Author Message
Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 12:12 Quote
I am struggling to find the answer to this question, so maybe you gurus can help me out. I have looked online and something about a zero stacked headset could be the answer however when looking to purchase one, zero results show up?

Can anyone help?

cheers, friends.

Dave Smile

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 12:31 Quote
https://youtu.be/To0IqA8G-Pw

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 13:16 Quote
If you have a 44mm head tube then yes. Older 1 1/8 head tube, no.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 0:44 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
If you have a 44mm head tube then yes. Older 1 1/8 head tube, no.
This.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 1:36 Quote
Thank you kindly, sirs.

I have been struggling with this for a while. The pinkbike gods are kind.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 1:49 Quote
And if you do have a 44mm headtube, then you'll need an EC44 headset (EC = external cup, 44 = 44mm internal diameter of the headtube) at the bottom, and you could go for a ZS44 at the top (ZS = zero stack, the cup holding the bearing doesn't poke out of the headtube like an EC44 would).

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 4:39 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
And if you do have a 44mm headtube, then you'll need an EC44 headset (EC = external cup, 44 = 44mm internal diameter of the headtube) at the bottom, and you could go for a ZS44 at the top (ZS = zero stack, the cup holding the bearing doesn't poke out of the headtube like an EC44 would).

Thank you, man. I'll have a look about.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 6:28 Quote
Have a look at my morewood. I did exactly that.
this is the one I used
http://firstcomponents.imb2b.com/sell/index.php?itemid=6965

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 6:21 Quote
DaveJohnston wrote:
I am struggling to find the answer to this question, so maybe you gurus can help me out. I have looked online and something about a zero stacked headset could be the answer however when looking to purchase one, zero results show up?

Can anyone help?

cheers, friends.

Dave Smile

The answer to this question is no as straight as you may think..
First we need measures and headset types to be able to get the right answer:

1- What type of headset does your bike have? Eg.:Traditional, integrated, integral..
2- What is the diameter of the lower headtube?
3- If you give bike manufacturer, model and year might also help

With this information we might be able to point you out to the right direction.. Some manufacturers like scott, cannondale, lapierre, etc have their own measures for headtubes..

Cheers,

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 13:16 Quote
Read through this:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/standardized-headset-identification-system

Should help you to understand the basic of the headset technology

Posted: Oct 23, 2016 at 16:30 Quote
I have a Specialized Rockhopper (not sure what year it is matte brown and black) it has a 1-1/8" head tube with I believe is a zero stack. Will tapered fork fit? Sorry I am new and trying to figure out everything. Thanks for any help!

FL
Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 5:15 Quote
hey guys i got iron horse warrior 5(2008 i think) the headtube steerer 1 1/8 is 130mm long in top and bottom diameters are 40mm would i be able to fit tapered fork?

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009854
Mobile Version of Website