working at a bike shop tips??

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
working at a bike shop tips??
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 15:22 Quote
Ill be working minimum wage wherever i go anyway, besides, im looking more for experience than money. I just want something so i can be more involved in the sport.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 15:24 Quote
act normal, and study your bikes. know how to do pretty much all repairs. but as mentioned don't say you know everything. but if you know nothing your probably not going to get hired.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
Thanks for all the help, im actually thinking of trying to apply sometime this weekend, esp if the chance comes around.

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 at 6:10 Quote
I have applyed for Halfords Bikehut!!! Smile

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 at 6:22 Quote
Im really thinking of trying to get a job at the local bike shop. I know how to true rims (To some extent), Fix Flats, Repack Cup and Cone Bearings, Lubricate stuff, Adjust V-Brakes, Remove and Replace Chains, Remove and Replace Cassetts, Remove and Replace Some Cranks, and a few other things. Do you thyink this is good enough to apply? Ive been riding for a couple years, and am 15.

Hehe.. ive got to get my Deraileur Adjustment to par... heh... thanks.[/Quote]

It's not really about what you can do, it's about your attitude. If you go in and just name off all the repairs you can do, your less likely to get a job then if you show them you want to learn and also that you can take criticism on your work because you WILL NOT always do a perfect job

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 at 7:01 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
It's not really about what you can do, it's about your attitude. If you go in and just name off all the repairs you can do, your less likely to get a job then if you show them you want to learn and also that you can take criticism on your work because you WILL NOT always do a perfect job

And listen to Skatejunkie. Coming from a shop owner, this may be the most important post in this thread.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 at 8:30 Quote
ask as much as possible, learn as much as posible, dont try to take over the shop(some guy tried this at the shop i work at and we throw any tool we have near us when he comes into the shop)

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 at 9:16 Quote
Learn where everything in the shop is!

Learn stuff about the parts that the shop stocks, I.E

The tyres for different conditions.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
Mtbdean wrote:
I have applyed for Halfords Bikehut!!! Smile

hey hey, i work at bikehut in taunton, which store u applied for??

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 4:09 Quote
if your applying for bikehut, prepare for misery. i've just got a new job after working at the local one for the past three years. you will have to contend with everything mentioned prior, plus a complete disdain for you and your colleagues from everyone on the other departments. the worst thing to look out for is managers going over your head, the majority of the times we got any complaints, we'd be told to hold fast on the company line, so we'd take a load of abuse off the customer, and then the moment they ask to see the manager he'd just cave on the matter so he'd not have to deal with any abuse. don't get me wrong, working there is still great experience, and the fact that we were looked down on by the other departments meant there was even more camaraderie, but it's not like working in any other bike shop. your in the most accessible place for any serf to get there bike fixed or bought, so that's who your gonna be dealing with most of the time, joe public, who knows and cares little about bikes in the way you do.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 11:17 Quote
there too crap to even send a reply

Posted: May 27, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
privateiron wrote:
if your applying for bikehut, prepare for misery. i've just got a new job after working at the local one for the past three years. you will have to contend with everything mentioned prior, plus a complete disdain for you and your colleagues from everyone on the other departments. the worst thing to look out for is managers going over your head, the majority of the times we got any complaints, we'd be told to hold fast on the company line, so we'd take a load of abuse off the customer, and then the moment they ask to see the manager he'd just cave on the matter so he'd not have to deal with any abuse. don't get me wrong, working there is still great experience, and the fact that we were looked down on by the other departments meant there was even more camaraderie, but it's not like working in any other bike shop. your in the most accessible place for any serf to get there bike fixed or bought, so that's who your gonna be dealing with most of the time, joe public, who knows and cares little about bikes in the way you do.
dam it joe its right crap now youre gone-sundays are rubbish and i have got nobody left who is into dj/park/streetCry

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 5:47 Quote
Thanks for all the tips guys! I know this is an old thread, but today is my first day working at my local shop and I am pumped. Great tips to keep front of mind today. Cheers!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014849
Mobile Version of Website