Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 23:12 Quote
I just picked up a 2011 Demo 8 one, looking at swapping the worn out vivid r2c for a cane creek double barrel coil. Is there anything special about the rear eyelet mount where it slides into the yoke? Do I save the little silver offset piece that was in the eyelet of the vivid and reuse it instead of the cane creek bushing?

This is my first demo, or downhill bike for that matter, so I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2018 at 6:32 Quote
Hi,

I have a 2016 Demo Alloy and am looking at sticking a CaneCreek DB Coil on to replace the stock Fox Van RC (basicly I'm getting a good deal on the CaneCreek so it seems like its worth it).

The shock sizing is 240 mm x 76 mm (9.5 in x 3 in) eye-to-eye, with a 450lb spring.

I havent seen anyone else using one of these shocks on the new version of the Demo, and was jsut wondering if there is a good reason for this? Are there any reasons the shock wont fit/work etc?

I am also considering sticking a set of EThirteen TRSr alloy cranks (with a 30mm spindel) on the bike, but am slightly confised by all the chat abou the demos rather specific BB arrangment... Would a regualr EThirteen PF30 BB fit in the frame (with the correct spacers of course) and then would there be any problems installing the cranks in to this, or would they fit in the existing BB?

Many thanks!!!

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 at 9:14 Quote
CaneCreek DB coil is a really similar size to the Ohlins so I don't see it not fitting.

I'm pretty sure you will need BB30 bottom bracket as opposed to the PF30 which comes with the plastic sleeve as far as I am aware.
But I am not 100% I always just use the SRAM BB30.

https://www.merlincycles.com/sram-bb30-or-pf30-bearing-assembly-60253.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Bike+Bottom+Brackets+%26+Cups&ucpo=15204&gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcVrGmiB1ZEFfkExgQejXTMddRy7tn-1M9pCHoyrwS0ts2-MjOOvHRxoCL3oQAvD_BwE

You can see the difference between the 2 here.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 7:43 Quote
I have a 2017 demo , bike shop told me a 475 / 3.00 spring wont fit ,says it is the wrong size , does anyone agree with this? Ordered from fox 3inch stroke and this is what they sent. I don't agree with the shop ,am I wrong ?

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 8:03 Quote
chickendog wrote:
I have a 2017 demo , bike shop told me a 475 / 3.00 spring wont fit ,says it is the wrong size , does anyone agree with this? Ordered from fox 3inch stroke and this is what they sent. I don't agree with the shop ,am I wrong ?

It's the stroke length 3" which in this case is correct but also the Inner Diameter (ID) of the spring has to be 36.5mm.

If you have a 36mm ID spring it won't fit.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
It is a Fox spring claiming compatibility with all fox shocks , in this case the stock van rc

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 8:39 Quote
Oh sorry I thought you where putting it on a Ohlins shock.

Then if you have the right stroke length which I believe is 3" you should be good to go.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 17:32 Quote
chickendog wrote:

This is the exact spring rate and stroke that came on my fox van rc on my 2016 demo. Look in my buy and sell, it should work fine.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
littleman22 wrote:
chickendog wrote:

This is the exact spring rate and stroke that came on my fox van rc on my 2016 demo. Look in my buy and sell, it should work fine.
My LBS rarely or never deals with coil as I am the only DH bike rider in southern WV apparently , they do well with air suspension and hardtails , I was fairly confident I was right , just checking to see if I was missing something

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
Can anyone help me shed some light on crank axle widths.

I have installed the pressfit bearings into a 2016-17 demo. As they have no external cups like a threaded bb, do I need to buy a crank to suit a 68/73 bb shell? as its looks as the cranks to suit 83mm bb the axle will be too long

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
leth wrote:

I have installed the pressfit bearings into a 2016-17 demo. As they have no external cups like a threaded bb, do I need to buy a crank to suit a 68/73 bb shell? as its looks as the cranks to suit 83mm bb the axle will be too long

My 16 demo takes a 83mm bb with 165mm arms if that helps any

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 12:56 Quote
littleman22 wrote:
leth wrote:

My 16 demo takes a 83mm bb with 165mm arms if that helps any

Thanks for the reply but its not quite what I'm after. I need to know the length of the axle the crank arms attached to.
83mm bb with external cups will measure 111mm
Pressfit bearings in the demo bb83 bottom bracket = 85/90mm. The axle on a crank to suit bb83 would be too long.

I am assuming from this I need cranks to suit a 68/73bb as this would have a spacing of 96 mm if it had external bearings

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 14:42 Quote
The Demo is a BB30 and uses Cranks that are for a 83mm BB shell. Keep in mind that you will need cranks for a 135/142mm chain line. (Not a 150mm) That is one of the reasons I did not use my e13's

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 14:43 Quote
Has nothing to do with 68/73mm BB, don't "assume".

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 15:35 Quote
I've got the same issue. Installed my bearings, and now I've put my cranks on, they seem much too wide. I'm thinking i'll need to use different cranks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011837
Mobile Version of Website