Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
smaller chainrings will also negatively affect suspension characteristics. It will introduce more pedal kickback, on some single pivot designs this can make it like a jackhammer.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 3:35 Quote
Eek kickback doesn't sound good. 34T sounds like a good choice then.

Got around to looking at the wheel, Here's the broken axle (Snapped off right at the cassette) Eek
photo

The axle that goes through the drop outs is fine tho, but not worth the risk in riding anymore (can't really ride it like that anyway lol 'makes a horrible klunk sound)

The pawls on the hub were all gunky that's probably why it was skipping sometimes. The actual hub spins freely tho so the bearings are fine.

Jailbreak New wheel time !

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 3:54 Quote
Good news is the demo has minimal pedal kickback due to the Horst pivot. But something to think about. The faster you go the less pedal kickback there is Smile

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
Here's an interesting thing I thought of. Does anyone have a rear end of a carbon demo or s works demo that they'd be willing to sell me? Not sure if it would work. but if im not wrong, shouldn't the alloy demo 8 and carbon demo 8 share the same dimensions? Would there be anything wrong with taking the front triangle of a demo 8 alloy and pairing it with a carbon rear end? Also speaking of frames. I'm 5'11" legs and arms off a person that's 6'2" though. Should i go with a size L or XL demo?

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Here's an interesting thing I thought of. Does anyone have a rear end of a carbon demo or s works demo that they'd be willing to sell me? Not sure if it would work. but if im not wrong, shouldn't the alloy demo 8 and carbon demo 8 share the same dimensions? Would there be anything wrong with taking the front triangle of a demo 8 alloy and pairing it with a carbon rear end? Also speaking of frames. I'm 5'11" legs and arms off a person that's 6'2" though. Should i go with a size L or XL demo?

You can combine any rear frame with any main frame. It doesn't matter if carbon or aluminum. The normal carbon model and the alloy have the same rear triangle, only the S-Works has carbon chainstays and the Progressive Link.

Do you have an extra main frame? Would love to get one.

With your size definitely XL!

Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
kolja wrote:
Yes that’s correct. The rear mount has two rubber washers/spacers that leave a small gap on both sides. Looks like they were worried about flex in the linkage that could restrict suspension movement.

I’m new here and just purchased an Sworks Demo 8 and I have this issue with the small side to side play. Is this something that needs to be corrected or is this meant to be this way?

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
Anyone riding carbon renthal 35mm bars coupled with aluminium renthal stem?
I want to upgrade my handlebars and people say that carbon bars reduce arm pump so I think about giving it a try.
The thing that bothers me is if the carbon bars are "tougher" than aluminium and if they can fail. I mean I already snapped an aluminium nukeproof bars in half after a crash but I wonder if they can just snap after bad jump/drop.
I am currently running 31.8 Sixpack Millenium and its pretty harsh on my hands.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
justjumpinit wrote:
kolja wrote:
Yes that’s correct. The rear mount has two rubber washers/spacers that leave a small gap on both sides. Looks like they were worried about flex in the linkage that could restrict suspension movement.

I’m new here and just purchased an Sworks Demo 8 and I have this issue with the small side to side play. Is this something that needs to be corrected or is this meant to be this way?

Yeah it's normal for the shock to have some twist in it, but not side to side play, should not be able to move it directly side ways, only should rotate slightly.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 0:29 Quote
simov49 wrote:
I want to upgrade my handlebars and people say that carbon bars reduce arm pump so I think about giving it a try.
The thing that bothers me is if the carbon bars are "tougher" than aluminium and if they can fail. I mean I already snapped an aluminium nukeproof bars in half after a crash but I wonder if they can just snap after bad jump/drop.

As far as I know aluminum handlebars are more flexible than carbon and therefore more arm-friendly to ride or not?

I would not want to ride a carbon handlebar and crank too little advantage for too much bucks and risk.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 0:32 Quote
I find my renthal carbon bars pretty harsh. I did crash and rip an inch off one of the ends a couple years ago and rode for a further 4 days on it. Carbon is fine for strength, it’s just the layup can make them feel overly stiff. I hear the OneUp carbon bars are the best for compliance

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 2:27 Quote
dh-corn wrote:
simov49 wrote:

As far as I know aluminum handlebars are more flexible than carbon and therefore more arm-friendly to ride or not?

I would not want to ride a carbon handlebar and crank too little advantage for too much bucks and risk.

The carbon ones are stiffer than aluminium but people say that carbon has more dampening characteristics than aluminium

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
All depends on the bar really, there are overly stiff bars in both alloy and carbon, some carbon bars claim to have a bit of forgiveness designed into them.
I don't run carbon bars my self as your bars hit the floor quite often in a crash or simple slide off.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
Hey there, newly Demo 8 Carbon Owner. Anyone messed with the drivetrain to make this bike more "climbable." Where I am (Santa Cruz) unless I shuttle, I have to climb like 1000+ feet in one mile maybe 2. This 7 speed aint gonna cut it.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
BeamorG wrote:
Hey there, newly Demo 8 Carbon Owner. Anyone messed with the drivetrain to make this bike more "climbable." Where I am (Santa Cruz) unless I shuttle, I have to climb like 1000+ feet in one mile maybe 2. This 7 speed aint gonna cut it.

11-36 10spd. or go with a 34 ring. Hell though. I wouldn't want to climb a dh more than 50ft though

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015442
Mobile Version of Website