Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
Thank you CarolineHix for the useful information.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
tup Bearings changed again ! Mission complete !! Eek

Just thought i would post a vid of the rear triangle and what it looks like when your bearing's are trashed.
The demo is actually very elegant under the hood Eek

And merry christmas ya filthy animals lol Beer

Also might as well post a video of how stuff goes back together Beer (Taken earlier this year, before i knew de wey)
Note - As recommended by littleman22, you should really do this with your bike in a clamp or upside down. If the main pivot arm does drop down you can legit jam your finger's and not in a funny way Eek

Hope it help's someone now or in the future. It can be intimidating if you've never taken a bike apart before. tup

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 16:35 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
tup Bearings changed again ! Mission complete !! Eek

Just thought i would post a vid of the rear triangle and what it looks like when your bearing's are trashed.
The demo is actually very elegant under the hood Eek

And merry christmas ya filthy animals lol Beer

Also might as well post a video of how stuff goes back together Beer (Taken earlier this year, before i knew de wey)
Note - As recommended by littleman22, you should really do this with your bike in a clamp or upside down. If the main pivot arm does drop down you can legit jam your finger's and not in a funny way Eek

Hope it help's someone now or in the future. It can be intimidating if you've never taken a bike apart before. tup

Glade I was able to help you out carolineHix. Cant believe how muddy you bike is though, Must be good riding out in the UK.

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 2:05 Quote
Swapping bearings on a dirty frame, way to introduce grit from the start Big Grin

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 2:44 Quote
Razz Cleaned it off-camera. tyvm xD

Edit - Ye it can be fun riding in the swamp's but as you can tell it's bad if you wanna look after your bike ._.
It's mostly clay/mud/sand here.

What kind of trails do you guy's usually ride ? and what condition's

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 2:59 Quote
Ah good good Smile

Really appreciate all the vids and picks you put up by the way, will make it easier when I sort my bike out Salute

Regarding the trails I ride lately...

Swamps, bogs and quick sand, been so shitty lately that I've only been digging for the past 3 weekends with no riding.
CarolineHix wrote:
:P Cleaned it off-camera. tyvm xD

Edit - Ye it can be fun riding in the swamp's but as you can tell it's bad if you wanna look after your bike ._.
It's mostly clay/mud/sand here.

What kind of trails do you guy's usually ride ? and what condition's

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
The trails we have in Ontario is mostly clay and dirt. But my local bike pick closes in the rain being clay based. So I get mostly sunny riding with lots of dust.

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
kolja wrote:
photo

Yay! Finally acquired the progressive link! Quite difficult to get one in Australia, to say the least.

Interestingly all four bearings in the link that mount to the seat stays are all gritty and notchy!
Seems strange to be replacing bearings on a new part, but lucky its an easy spot to swap them.

Hey Kolja do you know if this link fits the alloy demo ( 2018 )? Cheers

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
jarrahdavies wrote:
kolja wrote:
photo

Yay! Finally acquired the progressive link! Quite difficult to get one in Australia, to say the least.

Interestingly all four bearings in the link that mount to the seat stays are all gritty and notchy!
Seems strange to be replacing bearings on a new part, but lucky its an easy spot to swap them.

Hey Kolja do you know if this link fits the alloy demo ( 2018 )? Cheers

I dont think these fit alloy bikes from what ive read. Thats why im considering the new Cane Creek progressive coil for my alloy Demo

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 6:25 Quote
Just last week (January 2020) we installed a progressive link on an alloy Demo (a 2019, which is the same as an 18, 17, etc.) and it works great, noticeably more progressive, bike feels better.

HOWEVER, you may need to figure something out for the lower shock eyelet mount (where you attache the shock to the new link). The stock lower eyelet on the Fox Van shock (which came with the bike) has a relatively common 22ish mm set of reducers and spacers. It'll probably be a pair of yellowish teflon reducers that go into the eyelet, plus a pair of black nylon spacers. That's what slots into the link and connects link and shock. That configuration is much too wide to fit in the 14-ish mm slot in the progressive link.

We looked through a box of old suspension (mainly Fox) parts at the local bike shop and found a teflon-lined sleeve that fit the shock eyelet perfectly, same width so it was flush, not extending from the shock eyelet. With that sleeve we were able to use a pair of the sliver reducers that came with the progressive link.

I spoke to another rider/mechanic who installed a prog link and they machined something to deal with this.

So I guess the real answer is yes, the prog link definitely works with the alloy Demos. All of the specs that involve mounting the link into the frame are fine (comes with bearings already pressed in so installing it in the frame is pretty easy, and you get fresh bearings at the same time). You just have to figure out how to connect the lower eyelet of the shock to the prog link.

If this is too confusing, I can try to take some pics.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 14:48 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
Just last week (January 2020) we installed a progressive link on an alloy Demo (a 2019, which is the same as an 18, 17, etc.) and it works great, noticeably more progressive, bike feels better.

HOWEVER, you may need to figure something out for the lower shock eyelet mount (where you attache the shock to the new link). The stock lower eyelet on the Fox Van shock (which came with the bike) has a relatively common 22ish mm set of reducers and spacers. It'll probably be a pair of yellowish teflon reducers that go into the eyelet, plus a pair of black nylon spacers. That's what slots into the link and connects link and shock. That configuration is much too wide to fit in the 14-ish mm slot in the progressive link.

We looked through a box of old suspension (mainly Fox) parts at the local bike shop and found a teflon-lined sleeve that fit the shock eyelet perfectly, same width so it was flush, not extending from the shock eyelet. With that sleeve we were able to use a pair of the sliver reducers that came with the progressive link.

I spoke to another rider/mechanic who installed a prog link and they machined something to deal with this.

So I guess the real answer is yes, the prog link definitely works with the alloy Demos. All of the specs that involve mounting the link into the frame are fine (comes with bearings already pressed in so installing it in the frame is pretty easy, and you get fresh bearings at the same time). You just have to figure out how to connect the lower eyelet of the shock to the prog link.

If this is too confusing, I can try to take some pics.

I would imagine you can call most suspension shops for a bushing recommendation. People put aftermarket shocks on the sworks demos all the time (x2 dhx2 etc) I may need to look into this

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 16:59 Quote
hello! wanting to install new boxxer select forks on my 2017 demo 8 carbon.i thought the frames had a tapered tube for the steerer tube on forks/crown? DOES THE boxxer rc have a tapered steerer tube? sorry,have not had one apart. i just know my 2017 boxxers are a 48mm offset.just wanna make sure that another select fork from another bike will fit besides the offset? are any of the boxxer's tube tapered? are any of the boxer's straight tubed? anyone have any experience with upgrading boxxer's?
cheers!

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 23:09 Quote
All my boxxers have been straight 1 1/8th.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tapered steertube on a triple crown fork.

You’re going to have to unbolt your boxxer to fit the new one, why not just undo the 4 bolts that would be necessary to do that and see if your steertube is straight. I expect that it is.

I expect your new boxxer would also be straight 1 1/8 just like your old one. You’ll just need to fit the race from the old one onto the new one and everything should be good to go.

I’m not 100% on any of this. Most of my bikes are old. I have had 5 or 6 boxxers in my life though and I’m pretty sure they’ve all been straight 1 1/8th.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 23:45 Quote
mmoon wrote:
All my boxxers have been straight 1 1/8th.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tapered steertube on a triple crown fork.

You’re going to have to unbolt your boxxer to fit the new one, why not just undo the 4 bolts that would be necessary to do that and see if your steertube is straight. I expect that it is.

I expect your new boxxer would also be straight 1 1/8 just like your old one. You’ll just need to fit the race from the old one onto the new one and everything should be good to go.

I’m not 100% on any of this. Most of my bikes are old. I have had 5 or 6 boxxers in my life though and I’m pretty sure they’ve all been straight 1 1/8th.

I´m with you! It should fit you just have to replace the fork. I don't want to offend you, but if you don´t know which head tube your fork has and which one you need you should have it done by a professional.

Most of the Marzocchi 380s had a tapered steertube but thats not the point here.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015073
Mobile Version of Website