Avid brakes Compalint.

PB Forum :: SRAM
Avid brakes Compalint.
Mod
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 17:47 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
I like 1 finger to have full control. My Avid can't deliver that, It takes a perfect position of brake lever to get the feel that is just right and with other companies this will work but with avid and their 'modulation' my perfect point means the brake will hit the bars, so i have to extend the lever and make my grip feel crappy, and even sometimes when i get used to that, the brake randomly loses pad contact. Yet with my Hayes I can get that perfect point and have a powerful enough brake to 1 finger.

I guarantee my brake bleed is not the problem.

exact same problem for me - they tell me to move the lever out - but if I do that then my hands get worked because the lever is to far out from the bar. I hate my avids - they get hot way to fast and lose all the power and you got to pump them back up. The factory bleed on them was aweful (black floatie things in the fluid). I miss the quality feeling of my hayes. They've been bled well several times and the crappyu performance still stays.

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 at 21:51 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:
dhpete93 wrote:
I like 1 finger to have full control. My Avid can't deliver that, It takes a perfect position of brake lever to get the feel that is just right and with other companies this will work but with avid and their 'modulation' my perfect point means the brake will hit the bars, so i have to extend the lever and make my grip feel crappy, and even sometimes when i get used to that, the brake randomly loses pad contact. Yet with my Hayes I can get that perfect point and have a powerful enough brake to 1 finger.

I guarantee my brake bleed is not the problem.

exact same problem for me - they tell me to move the lever out - but if I do that then my hands get worked because the lever is to far out from the bar. I hate my avids - they get hot way to fast and lose all the power and you got to pump them back up. The factory bleed on them was aweful (black floatie things in the fluid). I miss the quality feeling of my hayes. They've been bled well several times and the crappyu performance still stays.
Same for me too!!! Whate i hate de most, is the lever feel.... its much to soft... and compressible. And when i ride, the lever can be really hard for 15 min, and it can reach the handlebar in another moment. It's never the same. I had hayes. I know they are a bit less powerful. But when you bleed them, and get a proper lever "stifness", they will keep that "stiffness" for a while before to change.

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 at 14:51 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
Even if i did, which i highly expect. I will never get another avid brake, SRAM wouldn't help me and refused to take it back under warranty. With customer service like that they don't deserve customers.

Instead i will be buying one of the offerings from Formula of Magura.

Cool, Just do you a Favour ......BUY EXTRA BRAKE PAD'S!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to yell, but I recently ( last weekend ) had an awesome time riding with some new buddy's at KHMR and afterwards went for a beer where i was introduced to their other friend who was not riding due to having problems finding brake pads for his MAgura's... what a shame to not be riding cause you are outa brake pad's..

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
jondurham wrote:
You must suck at setting up Avids... I've had BB5's, Juicy 5s, 7's and they have all worked perfectly as long as they are set up correctly

I've been running factory bled Fives and have had nothing but good things to same about em.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 1:53 Quote
I've read that avid are supplying really crappy hoses with their brakes. I can believe that as my rear code is still dying half way down a run after a bleed. I can actually see the hose flex when I squeeze the lever hard.

Front Code - best break I have ever used

Rear Code - worst break I have ever used

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 1:55 Quote
joshwozere wrote:
I've read that avid are supplying really crappy hoses with their brakes. I can believe that as my rear code is still dying half way down a run after a bleed. I can actually see the hose flex when I squeeze the lever hard.

That's probably not Avid's fault. Rolleyes

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 1:59 Quote
mine sort of does that after a heavy dh road ride on my way home,but i put it down to glazing,take out your pads and rough them up same as your disc.

and why are you watching your hose on a dh run,you would be faster if you watched where your going.Eek

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 2:53 Quote
marquis wrote:
mine sort of does that after a heavy dh road ride on my way home,but i put it down to glazing,take out your pads and rough them up same as your disc.

and why are you watching your hose on a dh run,you would be faster if you watched where your going.Eek

lol. Yeah i did mean i checked it when the bike was still

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 2:54 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
joshwozere wrote:

Dude how is that not Avid's fault!!?? They supplied the hoses!

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 3:19 Quote
joshwozere wrote:
vinceliberatore wrote:
joshwozere wrote:

Yet you think the front is the best you've ever owned, its the same hose.....

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 3:30 Quote
bomb446 wrote:
joshwozere wrote:
vinceliberatore wrote:

Yet you think the front is the best you've ever owned, its the same hose.....

Weird hey. Possibly the reason the rear is dying and the front is not is that the front is a shorter hose, hence less expansion.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 3:44 Quote
Everyone that complains about their brakes just never have them setup properly or are just retards at using them, brakes go through massive testing to make sure they work good and 95% of the population using them have no worries at all

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 3:56 Quote
try the anti glazing bit first and retry them.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 4:34 Quote
joshwozere wrote:
I can actually see the hose flex when I squeeze the lever hard.
Because that is a defect.... Rolleyes

Think about it, the fluid is being compressed in the hose which will make the hose try to straighten out. In no way is that a problem or a defect.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 5:31 Quote
chalky wrote:
Everyone that complains about their brakes just never have them setup properly or are just retards at using them, brakes go through massive testing to make sure they work good and 95% of the population using them have no worries at all

First of all hydraulic brakes are very tempromental so although they may work perfectly during testing, they are liable to loose performance unless they are regularly serviced. Secondly, how can you use a break wrong? I think we have identified the retard mate. Lastly this is totally of topic! Why can't people stick to the forum TOPIC and not just have a go.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019504
Mobile Version of Website