beginner needs advice

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 14:04 Quote
Hey guys

I'm new in All Mountain biking and i need advice on pedals...

1st flat pedals cheap,efficient with a ton of grip. what would you suggest?

2nd clip pedals what should be the greatest advantage to own them?
And is it a must? (by the way i'm not looking to start a war here)

thx

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 15:03 Quote
It depends what kind of riding your doing if its just casual around town on the trails. Then there are definitely benefits to learning and riding on flats skill wise. I run clipless on my xc bike just for the marginal efficiency but on my am bike i run flats, flats can be more fun, easier and less scary if you are a beginner.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 18:14 Quote
Flat pedals are great for learning skills on and many riders choose to stay on them for comfort and feel. Clipless pedals are used for a perceived efficiency increase and being directly connected to your bike.
They both offer different types of mobility: flats allow greater motion of your feet about pedals which translates into more rotation of the body and overall movement, clips attach the bike directly to the rider's feet which allows greater control over rough and technical terrain. Most professional riders choose clips for increased control, but there are still plenty of ridiculously fast riders on flats (Sam Hill Drool )
I would really reccomend picking up a pair of flats so that you learn skills well and then transfer to clips if you'd like. Get used to riding your bike first and then watch as many skills videos as you can so you learn to ride right early on. Buy a pair of DMR Vaults (don't even bother with anything else, they are the best and worth it) and Five Ten flat pedal specific shoes. Read reviews on the shoes to make sure you don't get any unreliable pairs.
Best of luck and have fun!

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 23:54 Quote
I ride flats exclusively, DMR vaults and Five ten freerider shoes. Have never felt the need to try clips.

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 at 14:20 Quote
Benelli5150 wrote:
Hey guys

I'm new in All Mountain biking and i need advice on pedals...

1st flat pedals cheap,efficient with a ton of grip. what would you suggest?

2nd clip pedals what should be the greatest advantage to own them?
And is it a must? (by the way i'm not looking to start a war here)

thx

1)Any good flat pedals (i use HT for flat and clip) T1 and AE06.For shoes i think that 5-10 for flat are the best and for clip i use Northwave but when they die i will go for other brand because i have large feet and their top shoes are up to 46 size.

2)I ride both (60% clip 40% flat) so i think i can tell something.First of all about grip it's not true that flat won't hold you on trail because good flat shoes and pedals with pin will hold you very nice.Second part is that from riding both i can only tell that all that more power for clip pedals and other stuff is just bull crap.What best is that when you get realy tired you don't need to think that your feet will fall off (rare but can happen if you are beat up on end of ride).Second part is that it's easier to climb on clip (at least for me) and sprint.

When i will ride a trail where i have alot of interval/training i will go for clip pedals.When i want to have fun (like jumping/wheeling and stuff like that) i go flat.Also i want to point out that i mainly focus on racing so i use clip more because i just feel better at races with them.Most noticing part when i swap them is that mine legs need to get used to them because different part of muscles work while pedalin in clip and flats.

If you just started i woudl go for flats they just teach you basic stuff that you need to learn and if you can try/borrow clipless for month (that's the time i think people need to get used to them) you may judge by yourself.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
If you're just starting out, you're probably going to beat the hell out of your first set of flat pedals. I'd try out something like the RaceFace Chesters to start, and then decide where you want to go from there.

There is a lot of truth in saying that you will learn more and faster on flats than with clips. Clips let you get away with rider errors that would crucify you on flats--which is great in a racing scenario, but can be a challenge for polishing technique. Again where you're just starting out, those first few months will really set your technique in ways that will be hard to reverse later on. With that in mind, I'd go for flats, at least at first. After a while I really think that it's up to your personal preference, terrain, and riding style.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022859
Mobile Version of Website