Shimano XT M8000 vs SLX M7000

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Shimano XT M8000 vs SLX M7000
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 8:17 Quote
So this is an age old question. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to as about this but here we go.

I own a 2016 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. Rode it all last summer and I'm ready for upgrades. First it was the pedals, next will be the Race Face low riser handlebar, then a big one for me-brakes. So the question stands. The money difference seems to be only $40, so not a big deal. But I'm wondering if the XTs are really that much better. Is the cotter pin vs retaining bolt worth it? Or the dimples on the lever? I don't know. If you had this same dilemma before, or you just went with one over the other, please give me your opinions and reviews.
Oh and I mostly ride flowy trails, and some relatively tame singletrack, with some XC. I'm strictly looking for your opinions and experiences, not necessarily specs as I already know those.
Thanks guys

FL
Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
I wrench for a living and unless you really like tinkering with your brake setup the slx will suit you just fine. That's what I ride. They aren't as adjustable, but if you run the finned pads and some type of heat disipating rotor like the ice techs they will perform every bit as well from a base line perspective.

FL
Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 9:12 Quote
Take a bit more of a look into brakes before you drop any cash on a set in regards to users experience. I've owned a set of XTR M985, XTR M9000 and XT M8000 and all three have been plagued with shifting bite points

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 11:19 Quote
Honestly man, go for the SLX brakes. The only difference between them and the XTs is a better lever (meaning just the piece your finger touches, not the hydraulic actuation), free stroke adjustment, finned pads, and the pad axle.

I have the XTs on my bike FS currently, and SLXs on my single speed. The free stroke adjustment is a non-issue. Have you ever met someone who's like "I wish I had more play in my lever before it bites"? Yeah me neither. All you end up doing is setting the free stroke screw all the way in (default setting, and the same as the SLX counterpart) and never touching it again. If you bleed your SLXs correctly, they have an indistinguishable feel from the XT brake with the free stroke all the way in. So that's not really an advantage.

The metal finned pads are, admittedly, a big advantage on the long descents. However, they also fit in the SLX brakes so...again, no advantage. You can buy them up front as an instant upgrade, or just wear out the regular ones and replace them with finned when its time.

Lastly: the SLX calipers (the 2016 models, at least) are actually threaded on the outside of the cotter pin slot--because it's the same caliper as the XT model. The difference is really in the levers. What that means is that you can go on CRC or Jenson and order some pad axles and L-clips for like $5 and BOOM--you have an XT caliper configuration. (Edit: I've done this on my single speed and it was quick, easy, and cheap)

Just get the SLXs and use the $40 for a bleed kit or some replacement pads.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2017 at 23:17 Quote
The best brakes I have ever had are sram guides. Slx heat up easily and Have heard that xt have an inconsistent bite point, I have never used xt though so I can not confirm.

Posted: Jan 19, 2017 at 23:37 Quote
ayyjayy wrote:
Take a bit more of a look into brakes before you drop any cash on a set in regards to users experience. I've owned a set of XTR M985, XTR M9000 and XT M8000 and all three have been plagued with shifting bite points

the shifting is from the pads wearing down?

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 3:06 Quote
@chickenrunz no the shifting bite point is due to an error in the piston design, so I am lead to believe. Also had the seals in the master cylinder disintegrate on me with the Xtr m9000's during a brake bleed which was a very strange thing to witness. Suffice to say I'm now looking to replace with a set of hope tech 3 e4's when budget allows

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 5:07 Quote
ayyjayy wrote:
@chickenrunz no the shifting bite point is due to an error in the piston design, so I am lead to believe. Also had the seals in the master cylinder disintegrate on me with the Xtr m9000's during a brake bleed which was a very strange thing to witness. Suffice to say I'm now looking to replace with a set of hope tech 3 e4's when budget allows

I know few of m8000 users here in Poland who had this issue also, but since september i think, all of them sent brakes to shimano on warranty, and got them replaced. no issues since then. M8000 that i have received with new Reign 2017 are performing well and i hope i got the fixed ones.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 13:01 Quote
wow and people keep saying XT brakes are the bomb ... surely Sram Guides would easily be better then?

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 16:03 Quote
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go with the SLX M7000, and they just came in the mail. Can’t wait to test them out this weekend.

Cheers.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 20:18 Quote
Jackola wrote:
So this is an age old question. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to as about this but here we go.

I own a 2016 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. Rode it all last summer and I'm ready for upgrades. First it was the pedals, next will be the Race Face low riser handlebar, then a big one for me-brakes. So the question stands. The money difference seems to be only $40, so not a big deal. But I'm wondering if the XTs are really that much better. Is the cotter pin vs retaining bolt worth it? Or the dimples on the lever? I don't know. If you had this same dilemma before, or you just went with one over the other, please give me your opinions and reviews.
Oh and I mostly ride flowy trails, and some relatively tame singletrack, with some XC. I'm strictly looking for your opinions and experiences, not necessarily specs as I already know those.
Thanks guys

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 20:21 Quote
I don't notice a difference. I have 8000s on my 27.5 and 7000s on my 9r. Great brakes!

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 20:45 Quote
SLX is the work horse that will get the job done, no one ever brags about slx. I have GUIDE RS breaks and they're heavenly

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 1:02 Quote
hnemeth wrote:
SLX is the work horse that will get the job done, no one ever brags about slx. I have GUIDE RS breaks and they're heavenly

can you say why you say that about the Guide RS? thanks.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 13:16 Quote
Hi. Just to put a seed in your brain. I've been using a set of XT m785 for almost 2 years. I shortened the hoses , when installing them but have never needed to bleed them, never had a problem with them, and they bring my 102 kilo to a stop very quickly with no problems. So when i built a new bike i thought about XT M8000 , but not wanting a 50/50 chance of getting a dud. I sourced a new set of XT M785 for my Codeine 650b, and I'm pleased I did.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034829
Mobile Version of Website