Powered by Outside

Hope Pro ii freehub 'collapse'.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hope Pro ii freehub 'collapse'.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 12:15 Quote
Hi,
Out on my bike the other day the freehub pawls suddenly stopped biting..
I walked a bit Frown then got back on to coast down a hill and they worked again fine..
However this wheel came off a bike I barely use (total under 1000k since new),
it's a spare the wife uses and various mates borrow when they're staying use.
I'd noticed that for a Hope it's very quiet, infact you cant hear the pawls at all.
When I stripped it to check it the freehub body has two cracks running from the other edge right to the inner one, so the freehub body could be taken off by prising the body open.
I've sent things back to Hope before, and they always replace without any comment..(I completely banjoed a Stans Flow, the rim split and several spokes popped out...nipples and all..)
Is this a reasonable manufacturer defect, or should I just buy another body?

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 1:14 Quote
See with Hope anyway, even if a new free wheel body isn't that expensive, they might just change it. Could ahve been a faulty series, or just down to bad luck ...

I've seen and had bearings "explode" in the Pro2 hubs, and I think I remember seeing once or twice a body cracked in half, but that was pretty rare.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 11:12 Quote
Sadoldsamurai wrote:
Hi,
Out on my bike the other day the freehub pawls suddenly stopped biting..
I walked a bit Frown then got back on to coast down a hill and they worked again fine..
However this wheel came off a bike I barely use (total under 1000k since new),
it's a spare the wife uses and various mates borrow when they're staying use.
I'd noticed that for a Hope it's very quiet, infact you cant hear the pawls at all.
When I stripped it to check it the freehub body has two cracks running from the other edge right to the inner one, so the freehub body could be taken off by prising the body open.
I've sent things back to Hope before, and they always replace without any comment..(I completely banjoed a Stans Flow, the rim split and several spokes popped out...nipples and all..)
Is this a reasonable manufacturer defect, or should I just buy another body?
ive cracked a hope freehub body,sent it back to hope,got it replaced with a steel one,no cost,no fuss.these things sometimes happen,no big deal.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 11:23 Quote
sounds like the lubricant in the freehub mechanism is just getting crudded up and sticky. I bet if you take it apart, clean it, lube it, and put it back together it will resolve your problem. It's unlikely that there's actually anything wrong with the freehub apart from that.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 22:40 Quote
SirChomps-a-Lot wrote:
sounds like the lubricant in the freehub mechanism is just getting crudded up and sticky. I bet if you take it apart, clean it, lube it, and put it back together it will resolve your problem. It's unlikely that there's actually anything wrong with the freehub apart from that.

Ummm, he said, and I quote " freehub body has two cracks running from the other edge right to the inner one, so the freehub body could be taken off by prising the body open." That sounds like something more than a quick clean and grease will fix.

Posted: Jan 31, 2017 at 12:07 Quote
Kiwiplague wrote:
SirChomps-a-Lot wrote:

Ummm, he said, and I quote " freehub body has two cracks running from the other edge right to the inner one, so the freehub body could be taken off by prising the body open." That sounds like something more than a quick clean and grease will fix.

Haha, true. I skimmed and read 'cracked' as 'took apart', not literally cracked. My mistake.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008376
Mobile Version of Website