27.5+ as your daily driver

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
27.5+ as your daily driver
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
Hey all,

Who's currently riding a 27.5+ as their everyday ride? Thoughts? Impressions? I've read reviews about single demos but never from anyone who frequently rides one.

My local shop has some 2017 enduro comps set up as 6fattie and I have been wondering whether to go with the 29 setup and buy a 6fattie set up later down the road or do the opposite?

I don't race, not concerned about strava, just like getting out and ripping for fun on the gnarliest of trails

Posted: Mar 1, 2017 at 10:03 Quote
Go with 27.5+, you always can swap out to narrower tires with no ill effect. If you absolutely don't like it, you probably could sell 27.5+ setup for more money than you could sell your 29 setup for.

Posted: Mar 1, 2017 at 12:58 Quote
EPICBYTES wrote:
Go with 27.5+, you always can swap out to narrower tires with no ill effect. If you absolutely don't like it, you probably could sell 27.5+ setup for more money than you could sell your 29 setup for.

thats a good point, thanks for the info. Do you ride 27.5+?

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 7:17 Quote
I just bought a scott genius lt plus as my daily driver. I'll let you know how it goes.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
I've been able to ride a Tallboy 3+, HighTower+ and a few different levels of Stumpy 6Fatties.
I loved riding them. Really fun, without much of the clown-like feel of a fat bike.
Once the PSI is dialed (1 psi makes a huge difference in these wider tires), the rest is cool.

Like others said already, you can always move to a 29" wheel for a more XC approach; but I don't see that happening.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
It's not everyday I see someone ride a 27.5 plus bike around town. Do what you like though, it's not like you're riding a 50lb DH rig around.

Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 8:57 Quote
Been riding a Banshee Phantom with Velocity Dually rims and 2.8 Maxxis Rekon for a couple of months now - Fork is a nonboost 150mm Yari (started out with 160mm, but 150 is spot on). Also switched to 170mm crank, due to frequently pedalstrikes (super low BB).

But this is about the most fun bike I ever owned!!
Fat tires = loads of grip and combined with the low BB this just rails corners like nobodys business.
Didn't started out as the biggest fan of the +size tires, but know I can't wait to try out the Minions 2.8.. (Rekon's have been really sweet though)

Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
When I switched from 26" I went 29" at first and because I was curious only a few months of riding 29" I converted the bike to 27+ and I haven't gone back. I now have since sold that bike and I am riding another converted 29er as a 27+. The plus tires are super fun and super grippy. Definitely fun for trail riding.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026758
Mobile Version of Website