Transition Patrol 4, Cube Fritzz, Commencal Meta or Giant Reign?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol 4, Cube Fritzz, Commencal Meta or Giant Reign?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 25, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
Hey guys, looking for a new bike and would like opinions regarding my potential choices and suggestions for better alternatives too Smile

So I'm getting rid of my Kona Stinky because it's just too heavy (19.1kg). I cannot justify having a pure DH rig anymore and would like a sort of all rounder bike. A rig to thrash DH, but also one capable for the occasional trail and something that can be carried up runs where necessary.

So I've found the following two bikes (EDIT TO ADD A COUPLE MORE) which IMO look pretty decent, but what's your thoughts?

Cube Fritzz 180 HPA 2017:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Fritzz-180-HPA-Race-27-5-Mountain-Bike-2017-Full-Suspension-MTB_97515.htm

Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Essential 2017:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/commencal-meta-am-v4-2-essential-bike-2017/rp-prod147107

Transition Patrol 4 2017:
http://www.highlandbikes.com/8075/products/transition-patrol-alloy-mountain-bike-complete-2017-stealth-black.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CJyn0ZD_xNMCFfcV0wod7ccE6g

Giant Reign 2017:
http://www.highlandbikes.com/1161/products/giant-reign-2-mountain-bike-2017-black-green.aspx

Cheers!
Grant

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 7:01 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
cube
Thanks for the reply! Any experience with this model of Cube; or Cube in general? I'd like to check the aforementioned model out in person but there are no stockists/dealers anywhere near me...

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 11:02 Quote
Any more opinions guys?

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 12:32 Quote
Try to demo the ones you can. If you can't I'd look more closely at the Transition Patrol and Meta AM 4.2.
The Cube is a weird one. Haven't ridden one but looked at them when I was shopping for an all mountain bike. Their geometry is a little uptight, upright and weird compared to most of the stuff coming out now. Plus you want to get away from so much suspension and do all mountain anyways, so for as good as the Cube might pedal for 180mm of suspension it still won't feel as good as the others.
The Commencal just won Enduro bike of the year for Bikeradar and has been getting praise everywhere. For the money they are great deals and come with all the bells and whistles, boost, metric shock sizing etc. Only drawback is it only aluminum and maybe a bit heavier to the other brands carbon offerings. But all reviewers say that it pedals well for all it's travel.
The Transition is a great all around big hitting bike too. Pedals very well, maintain speed well and is still lively. Not sure if they have the new standards though since I was looking to pick up one of their Scouts but the aluminum model did not have boost so I had to hold off on that.
The Giant Reign is a very good bike as well, my buddy has one and I have taken it out for a spin. It is fairly light feeling compared to my bike, Whyte G-160, but handles somewhat similar. Tracks well, eats up everything and is very stable.
Is quick coming out of corners, pumping terrain etc. Sizing is a little small though compared to the new longer, lower slacker bikes. My friends Reign is a size large and my small Whyte was just as big maybe even a bit bigger overall in geometry numbers.

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 12:45 Quote
jflucioguzman wrote:
Try to demo the ones you can. If you can't I'd look more closely at the Transition Patrol and Meta AM 4.2.
The Cube is a weird one. Haven't ridden one but looked at them when I was shopping for an all mountain bike. Their geometry is a little uptight, upright and weird compared to most of the stuff coming out now. Plus you want to get away from so much suspension and do all mountain anyways, so for as good as the Cube might pedal for 180mm of suspension it still won't feel as good as the others.
The Commencal just won Enduro bike of the year for Bikeradar and has been getting praise everywhere. For the money they are great deals and come with all the bells and whistles, boost, metric shock sizing etc. Only drawback is it only aluminum and maybe a bit heavier to the other brands carbon offerings. But all reviewers say that it pedals well for all it's travel.
The Transition is a great all around big hitting bike too. Pedals very well, maintain speed well and is still lively. Not sure if they have the new standards though since I was looking to pick up one of their Scouts but the aluminum model did not have boost so I had to hold off on that.
The Giant Reign is a very good bike as well, my buddy has one and I have taken it out for a spin. It is fairly light feeling compared to my bike, Whyte G-160, but handles somewhat similar. Tracks well, eats up everything and is very stable.
Is quick coming out of corners, pumping terrain etc. Sizing is a little small though compared to the new longer, lower slacker bikes. My friends Reign is a size large and my small Whyte was just as big maybe even a bit bigger overall in geometry numbers.
Many thanks for the replySmile

I went through to look at a couple of bikes today - got to see the Reign, Patrol and Cube (although it was a 160 HPA SL I think).

Patrol - looked and felt excellent and also had magic geometry. This is my favourite so far. Can I ask what you mean by lacking "boost" though? Sorry my tech knowledge is a little off...

Reign - also a decent bike, a friend has one and it does everything he needs and more. Although I don't want to be the guy who gets the same bike as a mate...

Cube - exactly as you've said! It's a very upright bike with a cramped feel and is just inviting me over the handlebars on ropey descents

Commencal - afraid I can't find a stockist anywhere near me and for this reason I'd be reluctant to shell out a lot of coin without actually "seeing one", regardless of the great reviews.

So as far as I stand, I'm very close to buying a Transition Patrol tonight Smile

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 14:01 Quote
I had the cube 180 and yeah it just didn't feel like a bike with 180mm of travel, I wanted like a mini dh out of it but I always felt like I was riding really high on top the bike rather than down in it. I've ridden a lot of modern enduro bikes with 160 that feel miles more comfortable on the steep and gnarly than the cube did. It really lacked personality, didn't pedal well at all and didn't keep up nearly as well in the park as it should have with 180mm of travel... real odd man out...

That being said you should look at the Radon Swoop 170, it's an unbelievable bike for the money and is winning accolades everywhere... starts off at like 2k euro for the base model and top model with full fox factory and sram eagle 1x12 for just 4k euro. I've test ridden one and it pedaled so well that I don't feel it'll be at all too much to earn my turns with... It's what I am most likely getting to replace the Cube with...
(also for the record when I sold the cube I bought Radon's swoop 200 which has also been outstanding in every way, and even with an actual dh bike I still feel like the swoop 170 rides good enough to justify having a 170mm enduro and a dh rig)...

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/mountainbike/fullsuspension/swoop-170/swoop-170-80/

P.S. also just a note that when I ordered the Fritzz it took Cube almost three months extra to get it to me... missed half the season waiting on it....

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 15:09 Quote
Boost, is referring to the size(width) of the axles on bikes. Most bikes out, or coming out now, have boost sizing axles. Front 110, rear 148. All you need up front to go boost is a fork with boost sizing, easy swap if not already boost. Out back what the bike comes with is what you are stuck with most of the time.
The Patrol is not boost, it is 142 rear. Though they do make a rear end linkage, triangle, that accepts boost and a metric shock that they let reviewers use. But it is not on their sales bikes. They might update the Patrol with the redesigned rear end for next model year.
I would also say take a look at the Radon Swoop. From everything thats been said about it, it is an extremely capable aggressive all mountain bike. I will also retract my statement about the Commencal Meta AM being Bikeradars Enduro bike of the year. It was actually the Radon Swoop that is this year's Enduro bike of the year. The Meta AM was right behind it though. The Commencal Meta Trail version won Bikeradars Trail bike of the year this year so I got a little mixed up. You also probably won't see a lot of people on the Radon Swoop since you don't like the idea of having a Reign like everyone else.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 14:56 Quote
Guys thanks very much for all the replies, it's much appreciated Smile

I'd like to let you know that I went for the Transition Patrol in the end. It seemed the best choice and given that I had no ready access to the Commencal or the Radon, I couldn't commit to a purchase of either.

Once again many thanks for your kind input!

Grant

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009392
Mobile Version of Website