Ride 9 new 2018 Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Ride 9 new 2018 Altitude
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 5:09 Quote
My 2018 Altitude ride9 is making me tear my hair out first time took at least 30 minutes of frustration the second time about 20 minutes of the same and this time after 50 minutes I'm giving up . The big problem seems to be lining the shock bolt hole up it is exceptionally tight in the mount its almost impossible swing it through any sort of arc, have ended up by dropping the bottom of the shock out and in the housing the metal is scored from the 2 inserts which sit between the shock pivot bearing and the mount sides almost as if there is no gap but metal on metal no wonder its so hard to move it . Am a bit cheesed off about actually , It's marketed as "only a few minutes " I'm not a mechanic but have some know how, for example I once dropped out my Mazda overhead cam engine and replaced all the Bearings and what not with out even having a manual , plus ran my own tipper . but change rid9 no! not a hope.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 22:42 Quote
gerryactive wrote:
My 2018 Altitude ride9 is making me tear my hair out first time took at least 30 minutes of frustration the second time about 20 minutes of the same and this time after 50 minutes I'm giving up . The big problem seems to be lining the shock bolt hole up it is exceptionally tight in the mount its almost impossible swing it through any sort of arc, have ended up by dropping the bottom of the shock out and in the housing the metal is scored from the 2 inserts which sit between the shock pivot bearing and the mount sides almost as if there is no gap but metal on metal no wonder its so hard to move it . Am a bit cheesed off about actually , It's marketed as "only a few minutes " I'm not a mechanic but have some know how, for example I once dropped out my Mazda overhead cam engine and replaced all the Bearings and what not with out even having a manual , plus ran my own tipper . but change rid9 no! not a hope.

Have you tried undoing the seat stay bolt? it pulls the swing link together so undoing this should give you enough play to get the shock mounted.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 12:16 Quote
I wonder if the adjustment is more difficult since RM moved Ride-9 to the rear of the shock instead of front. My 2014 takes about 5 minutes by myself, but less than 2 minutes if someone helps hold the shock/frame while I adjust and slide the bolt through. It also helps to stick a small Phillips screwdriver through the opposite side, then when pushing bolt in, back out the screwdriver. My shock fell down and left a mark on the frame once, so I now wrap a towel around the frame under the shock when I make adjustments. Hope this helps, but I remember being frustrated when I first tried adjusting my Ride-9, especially when the shock hit the frame. It is much easier with 2 people and a screw driver to line up the holes.....Don

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
[Quote]

Have you tried undoing the seat stay bolt? it pulls the swing link together so undoing this should give you enough play to get the shock mounted.[/Quote]

This is exactly what I did. I was so frustrated that I just left it in neutral position for now. Check out the other 2018 altitide thread https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=199107

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 7:59 Quote
Just spent 90 minutes sweating and swearing hunched over like a goon trying to adjust the ride 9 on my 2018 Altitude. I have had a 2017 Pipeline and Instinct, and those were easy to do - literally a few minutes. This is unreal. I can't even get the bike back together. Have tried unbolting upper shock mount, and other rocker arm mount, which gives more movement in general, but its the zero tolerance between lower shock mount and rocker arm. WTF!!! Have already taken paint off various parts of the ride 9. Very disappointed with the lack of tolerance, and the is no effing way this can be done trail side as advertised.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 8:09 Quote
dajibb wrote:
Just spent 90 minutes sweating and swearing hunched over like a goon trying to adjust the ride 9 on my 2018 Altitude. I have had a 2017 Pipeline and Instinct, and those were easy to do - literally a few minutes. This is unreal. I can't even get the bike back together. Have tried unbolting upper shock mount, and other rocker arm mount, which gives more movement in general, but its the zero tolerance between lower shock mount and rocker arm. WTF!!! Have already taken paint off various parts of the ride 9. Very disappointed with the lack of tolerance, and the is no effing way this can be done trail side as advertised.

Yeah definitely not trail side. At one point I needed a second person there to hold the frame in-line while I fiddled with the bolts and chip and then tightened everything up together. Awesome feature but pretty frustrating design.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 9:27 Quote
Yup - just had my neighbour come over to help. We laid the bike on its side, with one of us shaking it to wiggle the shock mount around, and the other to push in the ride 9 chips. With two people we got it done in 15 minutes - hooray.

I also greased the crap out of everything so the shock mount would slide around a bit better, as well as the ride 9 chips. It helped a bit, but will no doubt attract dirt.

Dear Rocky if you're listening: could you put micro chamfers on all the chips to help with location? Can you loosen the tolerances a bit? Its too tight for 2018. I will not be changing the ride 9 position again - it took me all morning!

map-guy wrote:
dajibb wrote:

Yeah definitely not trail side. At one point I needed a second person there to hold the frame in-line while I fiddled with the bolts and chip and then tightened everything up together. Awesome feature but pretty frustrating design.

Posted: Dec 16, 2017 at 14:18 Quote
After changing it a few times to see how each felt and a few good rides it seems to have "broken in" and could easily be done trailside now. When I first got the bike I had troubles similar to those list on the previous posts.

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2017 at 16:47 Quote
I had the problem also but if you lossen the pivot near the ride 9 system it workes in two minutes like advertised but it was still frustrating trying to do it before I discovered that trick.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 14:07 Quote
Hi guys - just got my new A50 and am trying to play around with the Ride 9 settings. Feeling pretty stupid at the moment, as I just can’t figure it out. I’ve taken out the screw on the non drive side (pic 1) and loosened the one on the drive side (pic 2) to flip the chip, but just can’t figure out how to get the bolt out. Do I push it out from the other side? I tried that but it’s not really budging. I’ve loosened the pivots closest the chip as well as someone pointed out earlier. Any suggestions and tips would be really appreciated! Thanks!
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 14:49 Quote
back off the bolt at shock head or remove shock completely - adds an extra 2-3 minutes but way easier to pop out the chips. Also, nip up the ride 9 first as that can be more difficult to liner up etc.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 18:32 Quote
When putting it back, I find it easier to push a small Phillips screwdriver though the hole first, then push the bolt through as you back out the screwdriver.

Also, wrap a towel around the frame so if the shock falls it doesn’t leave a scratch.

It is a one-man job, but definitely easier and faster with two.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 10:26 Quote
howie286 wrote:
back off the bolt at shock head or remove shock completely - adds an extra 2-3 minutes but way easier to pop out the chips. Also, nip up the ride 9 first as that can be more difficult to liner up etc.

Thanks for the tips! (btw, what do you mean by nip up the Ride 9?) Cheers!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
When putting it back, I find it easier to push a small Phillips screwdriver though the hole first, then push the bolt through as you back out the screwdriver.

Also, wrap a towel around the frame so if the shock falls it doesn’t leave a scratch.

It is a one-man job, but definitely easier and faster with two.

Thanks for the tips! Cheers

O+
Posted: May 31, 2018 at 20:14 Quote
I switched mine around for the first time earlier today.

The struggle is real. Cry

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010469
Mobile Version of Website