Backyard pump track/DJ's

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Backyard pump track/DJ's
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 4:57 Quote
Here is the deal. Just bought a house, I got the go-ahead from the Mrs. to build a pump track/jump section in roughly a 60x100'' ALMOST completely flat section of the yard. Now if it actually happens is another thing, but I am going to try. Being as though its in suburbia and there is a sewer line running underneath digging down for dirt really isn't an option. I will dig down A LITTLE, but that's just to get it nearly flat but I am in no way relying on that for dirt.

So here's the deal:
- Thinking of a figure 8 that could be ridding as an outside loop with fun roll-able features for my 5yo, or you could hip and/or shark fin into a middle line that would have 4-pack or 6-pack (4' tall, 8-10' maybe, nothing crazy).
- I was checking the municipality for permits/codes and I am allowed up to 25 cubic yards of 'fill' before I need to apply for a permit. How far will 25 yards go? My rough calculations says I will need 45-55 cubic yards.
- for those that have built back yard sections, have you experienced 'cranky neighbors' and/or municipality issues?
- for those that have built back yard sections, do you know how much of an area it occupies?
- I know a clay mix is optimal, but the only two descriptions I can find from suppliers around here is, gray clay for ponds, and screened or un-screened topsoil. Experiences with either?
- I have researched like crazy and read through pump track nation, but it seems like most information out there is either super small tight pump tracks, huge pump tracks, or DJ's in the woods. There really isn't much information on medium sized sections, unless 60x100 would fall under the 'super tight' category.

Any input or experiences you guys have feel free to share. I have been researching and would like to have all my bases covered before the dirt gets delivered.

Thanks for any input.

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 19:42 Quote
Sounds like you should pick up the full PDF version of Welcome to Pump Track Nation, by Lee McCormack.

He says:

How much dirt will you need?
yard. To estimate the amount, try this:
Length x Width x Average height / 27 = Cubic yards
Multiply cubic yards by 1.3 to account for soil compaction.
To get the average height, figure half the height of your rollers and berms.
For example:
150ft x 4ft x 1ft / 27 = 22 cubic yards
22 x 1.3 = 29 cubic yards
Get more than you think you’ll need; you can always make your berms taller

As far as jumps . . . then you have some other considerations, like how to get appropriate speed.

If you actually want to jump with only 100 feet space, then you basically need to build some kind of roll-in platform, structure, or ramp. (Wood is probably better). Check out this thread on roll-ins: http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/roll-ins.228191/

This drawing I did shows how many standard sized jumps fit in 100 feet.

photo

Even if a jump isn't tall, you're still talking 8 or 10 feet across the "gap" (even if it's filled in) like this roller-table:
photo

DJ, Pump Track Plans
http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/dj-pump-track-plans-402237.html

This kind of setup is probably around 100-ish feet (maybe a little more):
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/wood-transitions.190499/page-2

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009186
Mobile Version of Website