Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 7:02 Quote
What crank length do most of you run on your sentinels? I’m 6’2 and use an old set of XO cranks that are 175 but I keep getting pedal strikes. Is 165 too much of a change or can’t you feel it?

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
tbc wrote:
What crank length do most of you run on your sentinels? I’m 6’2 and use an old set of XO cranks that are 175 but I keep getting pedal strikes. Is 165 too much of a change or can’t you feel it?

I'm 6' on a Large Sentinel and ride 165 cranks. No downside really and you get used to it after one ride.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 7:44 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
tbc wrote:

I'm 6' on a Large Sentinel and ride 165 cranks. No downside really and you get used to it after one ride.

Similar here, I’m 6ft1 on a size L and swapped from 175 to 165 cranks. I also dropped my chain ring size from 32 to 30 to keep the gearing similar.

Felt weird for about 10 minutes and then I got used to it. Since then I’ve had exactly one pedal strike.

I say do it if you’re curious.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
tbc wrote:

I’m a bit of an outlier but I’m 6’7 and going to switch from the stock 170 to 175 here soon. I feel like I need a bit more leverage, will see if it introduces a ton of pedal strikes

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:32 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Any of you guys coming from a Stumpy Evo to a Sentinel? How do the two compare? In my head the Sentinel is going to be a little burlier on trail. I've got a Stumpy Evo and an Enduro but I'm looking to sell both and get a Sentinel.

Had a quick go on a stumpy Evo carbon base model with Fox performance suspension - it’s quite similar I guess. Would say the sentinel pedals a bit better - the carbon Evo was a chunk lighter than my alloy sentinel.

Haven’t gone full on full chat on a stumpy Evo to compare to my sentinel though. The sentinel is waaaaay more capable than me though - I went to Bike Park Wales in June and savages all my Strava pb times pretty much - and had the confidence on it to do some of the blacks which I’d never tried before.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
tbc wrote:

170mm X1 GXP cranks on my 2022 sentinel alloy. Don’t get many pedal strikes.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
tbc wrote:

Size L on 170 but only because I couldn’t get 165 cranks at the time. 170 is good to me though and the strikes I get are usually my own fault anyway!
But if I were to buy new ones, I would go 165

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 11:12 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone a heavier rider running the cascade link? I’m 250lbs and have been having some trouble with setup with my superdeluxe air. At 30% sag the back end feels too gooey with not enough support, and bobs a decent amount climbing. I bumped up the pressure which put me at about 26-27% sag which feels like it has more support but obviously comes at the expense of some off the top feel, and it still doesn’t seem to have as much support in berms as the stock link with a megneg can installed.

Reached out to a local suspension tuning shop who thinks the cascade link is exacerbating the lack of damping that’s already there for how heavy I am, and recommended going with a custom tune and the stock link. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts

I have the fox rear shock on my bike, the first thing I would recommend is loose any volume spacers in the air can. The cc ramps up the spring compression by 22% as the the bike goes through its travel so extra ramp up is not needed. I have my sag set at 19mm and any “mushiness “ is controlled with slow speed compression adjustment ( I assume you are talking about peddle bob). I started at zero clicks on long climb and added clicks until the peddle bob stopped. The bike feels bottomless and yet still snappy on the trail. I am around 230lbs….. hope that helps.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
mrutledge414 wrote:
Anyone else notice the price hike…

Unfortunately. Been checking the site for months waiting for a Sentinel GX Carbon to become available and seeing the dates keep getting shifted back. Finally called Transition and they mentioned they expect a few in the next month or so. One week later all the prices jumped.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
mustclime wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone a heavier rider running the cascade link? I’m 250lbs and have been having some trouble with setup with my superdeluxe air. At 30% sag the back end feels too gooey with not enough support, and bobs a decent amount climbing. I bumped up the pressure which put me at about 26-27% sag which feels like it has more support but obviously comes at the expense of some off the top feel, and it still doesn’t seem to have as much support in berms as the stock link with a megneg can installed.

Reached out to a local suspension tuning shop who thinks the cascade link is exacerbating the lack of damping that’s already there for how heavy I am, and recommended going with a custom tune and the stock link. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts

I have the fox rear shock on my bike, the first thing I would recommend is loose any volume spacers in the air can. The cc ramps up the spring compression by 22% as the the bike goes through its travel so extra ramp up is not needed. I have my sag set at 19mm and any “mushiness “ is controlled with slow speed compression adjustment ( I assume you are talking about peddle bob). I started at zero clicks on long climb and added clicks until the peddle bob stopped. The bike feels bottomless and yet still snappy on the trail. I am around 230lbs….. hope that helps.

Yea that’s what I ended up doing. How many clicks of LSC did you end up with? I’m at 5 out of 10 so far

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 12:36 Quote
mustclime wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

It's wild how settings/preferences differ so much between riders.

I'm 165LB with a CC and the Float X with max Spacer (1" for 57.5 stroke), running 27% sag and I still find bottom every ride on my local pedal trails (I had to add air for a park day). I've run LSC wide open and all the way closed without a massive noticeable difference. Pedal bob hasn't been an issue though either.

I've tried to like the Float X for awhile now, but just ordered a coil on sale to experiment with. I will likely go progressive spring or heavier linear spring.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
ernn wrote:
mustclime wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

I'm 165LB with a CC and the Float X with max Spacer (1" for 57.5 stroke), running 27% sag and I still find bottom every ride on my local pedal trails (I had to add air for a park day). I've run LSC wide open and all the way closed without a massive noticeable difference. Pedal bob hasn't been an issue though either.

I've tried to like the Float X for awhile now, but just ordered a coil on sale to experiment with. I will likely go progressive spring or heavier linear spring.

Have you tried not boosting every jump on said local trails?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 13:37 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
ernn wrote:
mustclime wrote:

Have you tried not boosting every jump on said local trails?

That made it even worse! Big Grin

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 18:33 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
mustclime wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

Yea that’s what I ended up doing. How many clicks of LSC did you end up with? I’m at 5 out of 10 so far

Looked at my notes…. Made some errors
1) my sag ended up at 17mm, 270psi and no volume spacers….. I run 4 clicks low speed compression, 1 click high speed compression when trail riding, 3-4 clicks at the park…. 4 clicks rebound….. hope that helps

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
Probably worth mentioning which version of the sentinel on all the above posts - I’m on the 2022 alloy and as I understand it they are 24% progression with the standard link and 30% with the cascade link.

On the standard float x with standard link at 175lbs (not kitted up) I found that bottoming wasn’t a problem at all. Ended up running about 24% sag to get the mid stroke support I wanted (which made small bump not so good) - but even at 30% sag I didn’t have any harsh bottoming out - although I lost the o-ring off the bottom of the shock a few times so couldn’t see exactly how much travel I used. Standard amount of tokens in the shock at that point.

On the cane creek Kitsuma coil, I’m now on a progressive spring and not used the last 10-12mm of travel according to the reverse components gauge I’m running. Feels a bit 2 stage - and wonder if I’m hitting the large bump stop and that has to compress for the last 10-12mm of travel to be used. Pretty sure I’ll get a cascade link in due course for the higher progression. Just means I need to shorten the shock stroke on my shock on the alloy frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011741
Mobile Version of Website