Is this the end? Dent in Specialized Stumpy

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is this the end? Dent in Specialized Stumpy
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 7:20 Quote
photo
photo
Considering how many hard falls I have taken since starting to mountain bike when I was a preteen, I would not think a quick low speed spill would result in any damage. But I found this dinger the other day and I don't really like the site of it. The bike is only a year old.

1st question: Is the frame toast? Would continuing to ride it be a risky move?

2nd Question: Given that I fell I don't think warranty applies but I do know that specialized offers a crash replacement program. Does anybody have any experience with this, I would hope I could just get another aluminum frame as there is no way I can drop $3500 and the carbon frame.

Thanks

Josh

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 8:13 Quote
I would ride it and not even think about it.

If you were to get replacement parts it would be just that. Part of the frame, not the whole thing. You might just be able to get the seat stay and replace that. Talk with your LBS.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 10:24 Quote
I've heard specialized warranty is pretty good, definitely check if they will get you a new rear triangle at least. Otherwise I would probably keep riding that if it was mine, and just keep an eye on it to make sure nothing looks like it is bending.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 22:19 Quote
I wouldn't be worried about that dent. Strength wise, the bike will be fine to keep riding.

Consider it like a scar, looks like a bad ass now.

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 7:12 Quote
Partout, its toast...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009099
Mobile Version of Website