Powered by Outside

Using 26" wheels in 27.5" frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Using 26" wheels in 27.5" frame
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 11:32 Quote
Has anybody ever used 26" wheels in a 27.5" frame? I know obviously that the frames weren't designed for that size wheel and and the bikes geometry won't be as intended, but I currently have a 26" bike that's far too small for me and really only enough money for a used frame.

Should I

A) buy an already outdated size L or XL 26" frame and swap everything over

B) Buy a 27.5 frame and use that with the small wheels so I have a bike that actually fits me until such a time when I can afford new forks and rims to then go 27.5

C) Do nothing until I can afford to do everything at once

Any advice is much appreciated

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 12:16 Quote
How much are you looking to spend? I still shred on a 26" 2008 Giant Trance. You should be able to find a decent used Full Sus bike for around $500-800

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 12:41 Quote
I was really looking to spend around £500. the bike I've got is of decent spec it's just too small for me so I'd rather just get a new (to me) frame than a complete new bike. I mainly just want to know if there would be any real issues In using wheels "too small" for the frame.

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 2:13 Quote
Geometry will be identical with only the BB height being lower. This may or may not be an issue depending how low it is with 27.5 wheels to start with. Will corner awesome, but potentially smash pedals regularly if it ends up too low.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 8:32 Quote
Get yourself a larger frame meant for 26" wheels.

If you where to go the other route, and put your 26" wheels on a frame meant 27.5" it would lower your bottom bracket 3/4" causing you to more than likely smash it a lot.

If you where to also swap your existing fork meant for 26" wheels onto a frame meant for 27.5" you would most likely be lowering the front of the bike by an extra 3/4" thus giving the bike a steeper head angle than you may want.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 22:44 Quote
DugS wrote:

If you where to also swap your existing fork meant for 26" wheels onto a frame meant for 27.5" you would most likely be lowering the front of the bike by an extra 3/4" thus giving the bike a steeper head angle than you may want.

^This
If you used a 27.5 frame and a 27.5 fork and put fatter tires on it you might be okay, but I wouldnt use a 26" fork.

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 at 14:25 Quote
I'm running 26" wheels and forks on a 27.5" On One DeeDar and it works pretty well. I have hit the pedals a few more times than normal but its still fun and a great way to use the spare wheel set up.

The outdated 26" bikes are getting cheap, my Yeti SB66 which is 4 years old was about a third of the original price.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009250
Mobile Version of Website