Powered by Outside

Scott Genius 720 rear pivot bolts broke

PB Forum :: Scott Bikes
Scott Genius 720 rear pivot bolts broke

Author Message
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 10:31 Quote
I purchase my new 2016 Scott Genius 720 in April. I absolutely love the bike. After riding it since late April I was getting a 'click' on the each pedal, the downstroke of my left leg (non-drive side). Checked pedals, cranks, seatpost and other items, and then realized it was time to clean out the pivots (which were quite dirty).

Using an appropriate torque wrench, I disassembled the rear triangle and cleaned all the pivots. Upon reassemble, everything went together properly with the exception of the two rear pivot bolts which broke with incredible ease (at far less than 10 NM, despite being clearly marked to torque to 15 NM) ... as if they were already broken.

Not sure if the source of the 'click' was a crack in these bolts or not. The did make a strange sound when I first loosened them. A pop I assumed was the locktight releasing but could have been something to do with the break.

The rear pivots are an axle bolt with one end being the 15 Nm marked 'axle' and the other a threaded bolt and with head. I reinstalled one and heard a strange crunch sound. Removed to find the 'head' had broken off. Tried the other and had the same result. As you can see in the photos, both 'heads' snapped right off.

LBS has ordered me replacements. Has this happened to anyone else?

Were they, perhaps, over torqued on first assembly? Was it a fatigue crack from riding? Did I do something wrong on install (I don't think so - I certainly didn't over torque)? Not sure what to make of all of this and bummed that I'm bike-less until the parts arrive. Also worried about reinstall when new parts arrive.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 8:58 Quote
Yep, I ran into this problem too. LBS was working on the bike and cracked one of them. They called Scott an inquired what was the deal. Scott told them that rear bolts were mislabeled with 15 Nm but were really spec'd 10 or 12 Nm (can't remember which). They never bothered to replace them in factory but sent replacements after the fact. Also, be aware that the rear pivot bolt aft of the rear shock has a tendency to bend after a while. It didn't affect my ability to ride but it may cause a creak over time if not corrected. I called the company to ask about replacement/s since this was a defective part and a local shop quoted the replacement at $30. A Scott representative tried to deflect the warranty and quality control issues but later admitted that the company was aware of the problem. I was eventually able to get him to send a couple of replacement bolts for free. This being said, quality control has been a problem for this bike. Not sure about the others but a $3000 bike should not have these issues. Don't even get me started with the stock tires.... Anyways, sorry for the wall text but thought I would share my thoughts.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
I have a 2016 Scott Genius 710 Plus and I have the same issue on one side. The bolt broke twice. Talked to my LBS and they gave me replacement bolts. I found that I could only torque it up to about 9 NM else it would start to crack. So far it has been fine and the bolt never come loose but I inspect it almost every ride just to be safe. I do jumps, rock gardens, short downhills, with no issue for almost a year now.

Good to know the root cause of the miss labelled torque spec. At the time I kept following up with my LBS (as Scott don't talk to consumers directly), and after they gave me the replacement bolts they started to ignore me. Will never go back to that bike shop again.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 21:53 Quote
Same issue with the axle pivot bolts. I now never torque them more than half (7.5NM).

Posted: May 27, 2018 at 18:45 Quote
Wow, this sucks as I have the same issue with my Genius. Is there anywhere to purchase the bolts online?

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 11:01 Quote
loop2kil wrote:
Wow, this sucks as I have the same issue with my Genius. Is there anywhere to purchase the bolts online?

Bike 24 (Germany) and Westbrook Cycles (UK) are the only places I could find online and unfortunately they only come as part of a complete suspension bearing / bushing package.

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009794
Mobile Version of Website