RaceFace Next SL Carbon Crank Wobble

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
RaceFace Next SL Carbon Crank Wobble
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 7:53 Quote
I have found a few threads discussing the issues with the pedal inserts and warranty claims but I have not been able to find any info on the issue I am having:

The non-drive side crank is wobbling out where the alu crank spindle meets the carbon crank arm.

This is the best diagram I can find of the cranks:
http://www.raceface.com/media/B10186-Cinch_System_Installation.pdf

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to remove the 16mm nut which I am assuming would reveal an 8mm that tightens onto the spindle?

I have emailed raceface to ask but thought i'd throw it up here as you guys might have some experience of this

Cheers

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 10:27 Quote
I think the adapter is supposed to convert your 8mm to a 16mm since most people wouldn't own an allen key that large. As far as I know there's not a hidden bolt behind there. But that definitely shouldn't be coming loose. Hopefully Raceface is helpful with this.

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 5:59 Quote
The 16-8mm nut and cap combo is a bit like the self extracting system of the previous cranksets (like the "old" Atlas with a 24mm spindle). The 16mm is supposed to be tight, and stay tight, and then use the 8mm to both extract the crank arm and tighten it back.

I would disassemble the whole thing and check the axle and crank interface. If you have ridden extensively with a loose crank arm, it could have damaged the interface .. The 8mm has to be cranked pretty hard, if you have a torque wrench that works in those torque ranges, it's a plus. An auto/truck mechanic shop should have one around 30-40Nm if you want.

16mm allen key is indeed pretty hard to find, managed to get one on the internet a while back (since I now run 2 Atlas cinch cranks on my bikes), but I believe some adapters are now sort of available.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007559
Mobile Version of Website