Can a box one push push shifter be used on a sram nx derailleur?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can a box one push push shifter be used on a sram nx derailleur?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
I want to go 1x. I am looking at the sram nx derailleur, but I love the concept of box’s push push shifter. I feel like that would fit my ergonomics perfectly. The thing is, The push push shifter is said only to be compatable with shimano derailleurs. Has anyone field tested this?

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 6:27 Quote
If it says its only Shimano compatible it won't work with SRAM. They have different cable pull ratios. If you want to use a Push Push shifter get a Box or a Shimano derailleur.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
If it says its only Shimano compatible it won't work with SRAM. They have different cable pull ratios. If you want to use a Push Push shifter get a Box or a Shimano derailleur.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 21:45 Quote
Beardmx9 wrote:
velo-suburbia wrote:

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

I’d double check, I believe Shimano updated their pull ratios to 1:1 just like sram recently . Just can’t remember where I read it

FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 4:32 Quote
So Shimano 11spd MTB pull 3.5mm of cable each shift and sram 11spd MTB pulls 3 48mm. You might actually get this to work but you will have a clunky shift or two in the middle that never actually mesh and find the teeth. This will cause it to jump to the next gear or just not shift. Why don't you just run the box or Shimano der? An slx der is comparable in price and of much nicer quality than a sram nx. It will carry the same 46t cog.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
I could, I just like the ergonomics of the sram shifters.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 7:31 Quote
Beardmx9 wrote:
I could, I just like the ergonomics of the sram shifters.

If you like the ergonomics of the sram shifter then why are you considering using a box shifter?

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 10:39 Quote
Ha. My bad. I I meant to say ergonomics of the box shifter, but the performance and feel of sram derailleurs

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 10:57 Quote
Beardmx9 wrote:
Ha. My bad. I I meant to say ergonomics of the box shifter, but the performance and feel of sram derailleurs

That makes more sense.

My $.02 , i find the feel of the shifting has way more to do with the quality of the shifter pods and less the actual derailleur.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 20:01 Quote
It'll work dude. If the pull difference is really only .02, then it works out to less than a mm difference across 11 gears.

I made a 10spd shimano zee derailleur shift fine across a 9 speed cassette with a Sram 9 speed shifter. There was actually a pretty big thread about this around here somewhere.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 8:05 Quote
skerby wrote:
It'll work dude. If the pull difference is really only .02, then it works out to less than a mm difference across 11 gears.

I made a 10spd shimano zee derailleur shift fine across a 9 speed cassette with a Sram 9 speed shifter. There was actually a pretty big thread about this around here somewhere.
It won't work .02 is a big difference. It will cause clunky shifts and you won't be able to get into certain cogs or if you do it'll jump around and not mesh well.
The reason you got 10 speed Shimano to work with 9 speed Sram is because Dynasys and 9 speed Sram pull exactly the same amount of cable

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 13:06 Quote
[/Quote] The reason you got 10 speed Shimano to work with 9 speed Sram is because Dynasys and 9 speed Sram pull exactly the same amount of cable[/Quote]

I had to machine a spacer to fit the part of the derraileur that the cable attaches to.

Also, .02mm is less than .001". Very small difference when you consider that the cable pulls 3.5mm per gear. I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or two gears skipped a little though.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 14:00 Quote
velo-suburbia wrote:
skerby wrote:

It won't work .02 is a big difference. It will cause clunky shifts and you won't be able to get into certain cogs or if you do it'll jump around and not mesh well.
The reason you got 10 speed Shimano to work with 9 speed Sram is because Dynasys and 9 speed Sram pull exactly the same amount of cable

The difference between 3.48mm and 3.5mm is less than 0.6% (so approx half of 1%). There's no way shifter tolerances are that tight. Cable stretch, shifter wear, derailer tension is all going to change by way more than that over the lifetime of your drivetrain.

Although a quick search makes it look like Shimano pull is 3.6mm not 3.5mm, it looks like you were correct about SRAM 11 speed being 3.48mm which results in a greater than 3% difference.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
It does work! I just got a used Box One rear derailleur and a Push Push 11speed shifter to replace my 1x11 GX setup. It turned out that the Box derailleur had a faulty clutch that wouldn’t hold tension. So, for the Hell of it, I put my GX derailleur back on, and it shifts perfectly.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
99% of people are going to tell you it doesn’t work because in the road world it doesn’t. Mtb components are different and all 11spd stuff is interchangeable but people are kinda just now figuring this out

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011233
Mobile Version of Website