Powered by Outside

Bontrager Duster Elite Freehub

PB Forum :: 29ers
Bontrager Duster Elite Freehub

Author Message
Posted: Mar 20, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
I have a 29er Bontrager Duster Elite rear wheel. This afternoon a tip snapped off one of the pawls during a climb.

This is the second time in the past year a pawl has broke.

Before I buy a replacement freehub body from Trek, are there other options?

Short of buying new wheelset or replacing the rear hub, is there a freehub body that is compatable with the Bontrager wheel?

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
There is a VERY good chance that you could find a freehub from another hub that would fit, but chances are ALSO equally good that the freehub in question will be the exact same item from the exact same supplier. Some companies make all the parts to a hub in-house, but they are very few and far between. Most are machining their own hubshells to fit existing bearings, freehubs and axles (which they buy from outside suppliers). There are companies you've never heard of that basically just make shit tons of different freehub designs for different customers in the industry. If you're wondering how I know this... I work in the bike industry as a wheel builder.

If you wanna pay a lot of money to a good machine shop I'm sure they could one-off you a high end freehub out of whatever kind of unobtanium you like, but unless that hub has sentimental value you're better off just going with the stock part or an completely different hub. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to find an aftermarket freehub upgrade.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 6:34 Quote
Same thing here, two snapped pawls.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
FredrikWestman wrote:
Same thing here, two snapped pawls.

I've never seen a DT star ratchet failure. I'm sure it happens, but it's gotta be pretty damn rare. If I was a big guy I'd only ride star ratchet hubs like DT350/240.

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008044
Mobile Version of Website