Single wall rear rims

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Single wall rear rims
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2018 at 18:00 Quote
What is with all the single wall rear rims?
The hub on my rear rim is shot and i have been looking around for a replacement rear rim. It seems like the whole industry is going to single wall rims.
Every single wall rim i have ever owned was mangled easily.
Are the new single wall rims stronger than they used to be?

Posted: Apr 3, 2018 at 11:55 Quote
Yeah, sadly most trials rims are single wall now. Although street trials rims are still fairly beefy.

Truth be told though, trials just doesn't have the inertia to need crazy strong rims. That being said a lot of the single wall rims were just horrible designs.

Check out the Carthy signature double wall rim from trialtech, It's pretty awesome.

Some of the new rims have more of an i-beam or h cross section and help with some of the issues of single wall rims. (i.e. flexy sidewalls.)

Posted: Apr 4, 2018 at 8:05 Quote
cwtrials wrote:
Yeah, sadly most trials rims are single wall now. Although street trials rims are still fairly beefy.

Truth be told though, trials just doesn't have the inertia to need crazy strong rims. That being said a lot of the single wall rims were just horrible designs.

Check out the Carthy signature double wall rim from trialtech, It's pretty awesome.

Some of the new rims have more of an i-beam or h cross section and help with some of the issues of single wall rims. (i.e. flexy sidewalls.)

The Carthy is basically the only rim I could find that will work for what I want. It is what I am going to go with.

I just thought that it is weird that the industry is going towards single wall rims. especially when the price difference is only around 20 bucks per rim to go double wall

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 11:37 Quote
gperkins wrote:
cwtrials wrote:

The Carthy is basically the only rim I could find that will work for what I want. It is what I am going to go with.

I just thought that it is weird that the industry is going towards single wall rims. especially when the price difference is only around 20 bucks per rim to go double wall

Trials going to single wall has nothing to do with price.

Trials, especially pure trials, is an incredibly low inertia form of biking, even though there are lots of drops and jumps there is never an incredible amount of force behind them, compare it to a MTB hitting rocks and roots at 25+ mph downhill. So trials rims don't actually need to be as strong as you might think.

Also, trials rims are hugely wide, 45-47mm average for rear. So there is just a ton a material there. That combined with trials riders being weight weeines = single wall being the primary rim. For the most part the single wall rims out there are more than adequate for most riders.

Street trials riders, who do put a lot more inertia in, along with more spins tend to run sturdy double wall rims, like those from Spank.

While the new carthy rim is "double wall" you'll be suprised at how thing the inner wall actually is. To keep the rim in a comparable weight range they thinned the walls out, and the inner wall is literally about paper thin. It's main advantage isn't actually strength from impact compared to other single wall rims, but it has a stiffer sidewall for rim brake surfaces.

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 3:22 Quote
i figured the move to single wall rims was to encourage more regular purchase of parts, i get through a new rear rim every year, usually by buckling it over grinding it all away.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010100
Mobile Version of Website