Mid April east coast US recommendations

PB Forum :: USA - East
Mid April east coast US recommendations
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 6:12 Quote
So, I'm sick of the bad weather here in southern Ontario, spring just doesn't want to arrive this year, and very few trails up here currently rideable. Looking to pack up the bikes and drive south to find some trails to ride. Looking for recommendations on some good riding destinations within about a 9-10 hour drive from the Toronto area (NY, PA, WV, VA, etc.), that currently have open trails in good condition. Any ideas?

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
MD/VA trails are in great shape right now. Frederick Watershed and Gambrill State Park are rocky and fun. All of the stuff around Massanutten is great, as are all of the trails around Harrisonburg over by the Stokesville Campground and Ride Center or whatever we are calling it these days.

Stuff just north in Philly area is hit or miss as is Michaux. Snow hitting up there tonite.

mk

FL
Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 12:51 Quote
I think the storm (as of now) is tracking south of PA and most of MD. I know there's some shuttling going on at Mt. Penn tomorrow, so the trails must be rideable up there. Whether that's worth a 10 hour drive, I'm not sure...

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 12:59 Quote
If you're into downhill riding, Highland Mountain Bike Park is one of my favorite trails systems in New England. They open for the season April 26th, and as well have cross country trails adjacent to the bike park. As well, local trails in New Hampshire, Stratham Hill, and many others offer a hell of a fun ride with technical stuff, climbs, descents. In Mass, super technical stuff is Lynn woods, Harold Parker, and vietnam just to name a few. Other downhill parks include Killington bike park, and Thunder Mountain bike park!

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 13:05 Quote
The mountain biking group from work likes to go to the Trails at Jake's Rocks near Bradford, PA this time of year. But from feedback of popular MTB channels Highland Mountain Bike Park is awesome and that's in NH which wouldn't be too far from you.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
Thanks for all the great input! Would love to try out Highland, didn't realize it opened so early. Will probably be bringing trail bikes only on this trip though, not to say it still wouldn't be fun on a trail bike. I will look into all these suggestions and see what would be the best bang for the buck in terms of driving distance and quality of trails. Any other suggestions, keep'm coming!

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 18:21 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Thanks for all the great input! Would love to try out Highland, didn't realize it opened so early. Will probably be bringing trail bikes only on this trip though, not to say it still wouldn't be fun on a trail bike. I will look into all these suggestions and see what would be the best bang for the buck in terms of driving distance and quality of trails. Any other suggestions, keep'm coming!

I used to ride highland on my xc bike with 120mm of travel before I got my 150mm trail bike. The beauty of Highland especially early season is you have super smooth trails, with no braking bumps. As well, even an xc bike is capable there. I have seen people go off the 20ft pinkbike drop at highland on 150mm all mountain bikes. As well The youtuber skills with phil (or single track sampler, can't remember) hit a 15ft drop on a hardtail there! Best time to go is midweek. You get there first thing in the morning, and you take first chair, get to the bottom, and no line. By noon, you've gotten in so many runs, I already have dreaded arm pump (only late season with lots of braking bumps). Let us know where and when you ride, and if you come to my area and i'm free, i'll show you around if i'm available!

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
That's awesome, thanks alot. We're in the process of figuring out plans, so will let you know!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015653
Mobile Version of Website