Rear shock 2017 specialized stumpjumper

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rear shock 2017 specialized stumpjumper
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 2:52 Quote
I have a 6fattie 2017 specialized stumpjumper with 135mm of rear travel I was wondering if it would be good to put a coil that fits a stumpjumper for better traction and also increase the travel in the rear if possible to 140
Thanks

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
Yes, it would be a great idea. The Stumpjumper is reasonably progressive and plays well with a coil. However, it has a proprietary shock mount, so you'll need a shock that's compatible. As of this writing, I'm not aware of any coils that have the type of mount you need. BikeYoke makes an aftermarket frame piece that will fix this, but at EU$105 it's not cheap. However, it's worth having if you want more shock options.

It's also worth mentioning, that in order to get a little more travel (via a longer stroke), you have to use the BikeYoke. As stock, your Stumpy is 197x48. This 197mm eye to eye is basically only exists for Specialized, so there aren't any other stroke options available. However, by using the BikeYoke piece, you end up with a 190mm eye to eye, and then you have access to shocks with a 51mm stroke (like these) that will get you to about 140mm out back.

That said, you might consider a Specialized compatible piggyback air shock in place of a coil. You won't get longer travel this way, but if you're running an inline shock (no piggyback) then you'll be getting so much more performance that you'll feel like there is more travel out back than before. There are good offerings from RockShox and Ohlins in that regard, and they'll give you a great upgrade over any inline shock you might have. However, if you're going this route , I'd point you at the DVO Topaz. It's a very supple, very linear shock that comes with the proprietary stanchion mounting you'll need for Specialized bikes. I've been riding one on my Jeffsy for about 18 months and I'm no longer tempted by coils; it's truly that good.

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 6:31 Quote
Thanks the thing is i don’t thing a piggyback will fit because I have the swat system and I barely fits a in-line with a water bottle

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
The Ohlins will definitely allow you space for a water bottle. You could also run a smaller water bottle, something like a 12 oz. Unfortunately, tradeoffs are a big fact of life for mtb....

Oh! You could put a ziploc full of water in that SWAT box.....lol

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 9:56 Quote
Nice idea for the ziplock but I will consider the Öhlins or the bikeyoke and will probable put a rockshox coil with a grip remote lockout on the stumpy

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
Do you think it would work to put a 160 fork on the stumpy maybe like the new lyric rc2

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 14:02 Quote
I changed the air shaft in my Pike from 150mm to 160mm on my 2016 SJ Elite. Changes the geo sligthly, you get used to it within like 5 minutes of riding though.

I wouldn't say it's worth a new fork though. I did mine because I was servicing it, and the air shaft is easy to replace/ is only ~$30. Tbh the riding isn't much different.

I had more results/ different feel playing around with bottomless tokens.

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
Hello, I’m currently planning to upgrade my shock. Same 6fattie... mine came with an Ohlins stx22. Hopefully you went with something other than the Ohlins STX 22. I don’t recommend this air shock as mine has begun to lose air on every ride. I’m going to look a coil or at maybe a fox air shock. What did you end up deciding on?

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
Cmpmtb wrote:
Hello, I’m currently planning to upgrade my shock. Same 6fattie... mine came with an Ohlins stx22. Hopefully you went with something other than the Ohlins STX 22. I don’t recommend this air shock as mine has begun to lose air on every ride. I’m going to look a coil or at maybe a fox air shock. What did you end up deciding on?
In the same boat too. Found some options but they’re 500$ so I’m thinking of getting a shock yolk to reduce it to 190mm instead of 197. I tried an older enduro shock that was long (but it fit so I thought it would work) but not it didn’t... I just scratched the stancion and blew up the shock where the can screws into the base of the damper.. it also sounded like a pogo stick cause it hit my frame. Didn’t know if it would work and now I know haha. I’ll let you know if I find anything. What route did you take? Was thinking of getting a new frame/ bike tbh

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
Just to put in my .02, I have the same bike and upgraded to a Manitou McLeod and have been really pleased. I wish it had a biiiiit more of a lockout setting, but I run my suspension on the soft side so I think I'm doomed in that respect anyway. Huge difference from the stock Monarch that came on it, plus they were on sale so I think I got it for like $200 or something. Definitely worth it.

I initally wanted to put the Mara on there, but Manitou doesn't make it in a 190x50 which is what the replacement Bike Yoke calls for... and without the Bike Yoke the options are pretty limited.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Make sure you get the right size or you’ll blow up the shock lol. I sold my stump and got a capra

Posted: Jul 9, 2023 at 19:03 Quote
my rear shock is toast. i have the yoke. I was looking at the topaz but want to make sure I get right size. so closest I can find is a 190X 50 , will that work ??

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009391
Mobile Version of Website