Schwalbe Tire Casing - Snakeskin or Super gravity?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Schwalbe Tire Casing - Snakeskin or Super gravity?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 6:56 Quote
I am currently running Maxxis DHR II's front and rear (came stock on the bike), no complaints with the grip but they are heavy AF at nearly 1200g per tire. I would like to try a lighter tire and see if it will hold up to my local trails. I would prefer to pick up the SnakeSkin variety for weight savings but would like to hear if anyone has had poor experience using these tires for AM/Enduro mildly aggressive riding. Local trails are mostly hardpack or loose sand over hardpack, rocky but not typically sharp rocks. My current Maxxis have held up so well i dont even carry a pump on rides, but would be interested in shedding some rotational mass since the Schwables would save me nearly .7lb on my wheels. Looking at a Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf 29 rear, both 2.35 29er.

Thanks for the input.

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 7:36 Quote
Sg all the way! I run mm sg at the back of my jeffsy (winter) and for some reason, it holds better than any maxxis I've tried, durable with better feedback and cusionining than maxxis, thicker sidewalls offer better support and resistance to cuts at the same psi and rim does not get so much hits, same goes for rock razor(summer), it must be from the latest crop that knobs don't tear off and last a couple of rides, 2 seasons and still go strong, can't say the same for my buddy's maxxis dhr2 maxx grip though! It used to be the other way round in durability but somehow schwalbe got it right.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 8:27 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Sg all the way! I run mm sg at the back of my jeffsy (winter) and for some reason, it holds better than any maxxis I've tried, durable with better feedback and cusionining than maxxis, thicker sidewalls offer better support and resistance to cuts at the same psi and rim does not get so much hits, same goes for rock razor(summer), it must be from the latest crop that knobs don't tear off and last a couple of rides, 2 seasons and still go strong, can't say the same for my buddy's maxxis dhr2 maxx grip though! It used to be the other way round in durability but somehow schwalbe got it right.

Have you tried the Snakeskin? There is a big weight savings by using the SnakeSkin setup vs Supergravity, i am not terribly worried about the weight but would prefer to try a lighter tire if its a realistic option.

Thanks for the input

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 8:37 Quote
Nahh anything lower than a kg where I ride won't last more than a few yards!

Snake skin although lighter are weaker than maxxis exo

Sg is lighter than maxxis dh casing and superior riding caracteristics and thicker sidewalls

snakeskin,
did try it, and hike a bike down the trail ain't my thing!

It all depends where you ride, style and your weight, I am 225lbs plus kit atm, ride quite rocky hard packed dry rutty rooty and some more, so light tyres are not an option.

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 0:38 Quote
I put a magic Mary snake skin then sg, front on and a rock razor sg combo on for the ard rock enduro and my normal rocky rides.
The snake skin magic Mary was the least reliable tire ever. That thing would cut up going down a fire road and then wouldn't seal. Went in the bin after few rides. The sg MM weighed a ton and just didn't grip on dry hard pack loose. The nobs were to big. Went back to minions million times better. The MM is a awesome loose /mud tire but is crap on rocks/hard pack.
The rock razor sg was mostly hit and some miss. It was light it was amazingly grippy held it shape great with low pressure on corners, the sidewall was tough as they come. And unlike the MM would seal if it got a cut no problem.
Miss was it was the hardest tire on planet earth to get on the rim and then seat. The side lugs fell of after about 200 miles and it dragged like a b@#&*h on tarmac /fire roads. Those little Teeth nobs in the middle act like velcro.
Well that's my exp /2p

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 4:23 Quote
Avoid the snakeskins at all cost, I’m a diehard Schwalbe Magic Mary front and rear all year round user but it has to be super gravity casing, the super gravity is pretty much trouble free for me with a real mix of very rocky tracks and a copious amount of casing techy gaps. I tried the Maxxis exo and flatted both times I rode them so personally didn’t work for me. On the weight side of things Schwalbe say the super gravity addix magic is about 1100 gram for 650b it’s actually 1200 gram on the hanging scale so I’d say the 29 has a similar published slightly lighter weight than actual though they will be ultra reliable. On the wear rates I got a full 8months/800miles from the purple stripe super soft magic up front in fairness it was through winter and it was a super wet winter, the new front tyre looks to be wearing a bit quicker in the dry spell we are having but still much much better than Schwalbe of old. The orange stripe soft on the rear are lasting well, 2/3 months which is good for a rear tyre I’d say the orange stripe soft on the front would last a very very long time. Typically I run 21 psi front and 24 rear with 30mm rims. I’ve had 2 punctures in 2 years of running the super gravity casing previously in the vertstar compound before the new addix came along.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
I am currently running Maxxis DHR II's front and rear (came stock on the bike), no complaints with the grip but they are heavy AF at nearly 1200g per tire. I would like to try a lighter tire and see if it will hold up to my local trails. I would prefer to pick up the SnakeSkin variety for weight savings but would like to hear if anyone has had poor experience using these tires for AM/Enduro mildly aggressive riding. Local trails are mostly hardpack or loose sand over hardpack, rocky but not typically sharp rocks. My current Maxxis have held up so well i dont even carry a pump on rides, but would be interested in shedding some rotational mass since the Schwables would save me nearly .7lb on my wheels. Looking at a Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf 29 rear, both 2.35 29er.

Thanks for the input.

Maybe try an EXO Maxxis up front and see how it works for you? I can get away with EXO casing on my trail bike, we have a lot of dirt, roots and rocks here but not a lot of super sharp rocks and I don't ride that aggressively.

Snakeskin is a non-starter, tried it once and never again. SuperGravity is legit, I am running it on my DH bike right now (purple ultra soft MM up front, orange soft MM rear) and so far so good in Whistler... I do have to run a couple PSI more than a wire bead in the rear to keep the tire from burping on hard cornering/cases but oh well.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008896
Mobile Version of Website