commencal clash

PB Forum :: Commencal
commencal clash
O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 15:22 Quote
Found a German thread on the Clash:
https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/commencal-clash.874718/page-3

Paste the link in Google translate and you can read the translated webpage.

FL
Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
700Pirate wrote:
Nice bike. I wonder how it climbs.

You'll be able to hire one at Glencoe Mountain when the bike season starts:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpW19clBYkB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zvlt9cnm2s15

FL
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:08 Quote
Has anyone used Commencal’s spring calculator and then ordered a Clash? Can you comment on the accuracy??

I’ve ordered a clash frame with a 400lb spring going off tf tuned’s spring calculator. However commencals own spring calculator suggests a 500lb spring. Only found this out last night after my frame has been shipped!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 16:48 Quote
Little update, it climbs better than expected on climbs with the lockout on. The bike is an insane sender, almost as plush as a DH bike. Definitely do not regret buying one, cant wait for bikepark season.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 2:04 Quote
When is someone going to review this bike??

FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
Got my new Clash built up today.

Commencal Clash

Commencal Clash

Commencal Clash

Commencal Clash

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
antigit wrote:
Got my new Clash built up today.

Commencal Clash

Commencal Clash

Commencal Clash

Commencal Clash

Damn, that's sick

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
so how does it ride ??? Man come on, you can't just post some pics of your bike in some trails and not at least tell us your first impressions !!

FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
Charlotroy wrote:
so how does it ride ??? Man come on, you can't just post some pics of your bike in some trails and not at least tell us your first impressions !!

Well, in my opinion:

It's better at descending than the Capra CF I've ridden for the past year. I felt really dialed into my Capra and was worried I wouldn't gel with this. I rode it for the 3rd time yesterday, sessioning parts of one of my favourite tracks. I am 100% sure I rode the parts I sessioned quicker than I ever have. (I've ridden this dh trail 50-100 times this past year). It also felt less rowdy. This could be due to the shocks but I'm sure the frame is playing it's part. I'm really pleased with how it behaves on the downhills. I feel as though my riding has gone up a notch since yesterday, I think beacause it's less rowdy you are more inclined to think about the line you're on and where your weight is over the bike whilst you're pushing on. It's only 165mm rear travel but has a dh-bike feel of bottomless travel.

I can't overstate how good it feels so far on the descents. As I said it's only the 3rd time I've ridden it and I've only made adjustments since the 2nd ride so I'm sure this could be even further improved as I find my setup.

It pedals ok uphills. it has the split pivot on the back as well as lockout on the shock (if you have dhx2). However when I was pedaling in the trail (i.e. out of the saddle pedaling hard) I could tell it wasn't going forwards quite as efficiently as the Capra did (which also wasn't the most efficient thing). I haven't weighed it but it's also noticeably heavier than the Capra lifting it out of my car and over gates etc. This is to be expected I suppose.

The frame itself - the welds look ok, The chain interfered with the rubber seat stay guard (and even the frame weld nearest the smallest sprocket) whilst it was in the lowest sprocket, so I had to cut the guard and add some heli tape to the frame. I chose Shimano instead of Sram drivetrain, this could be part of the problem with spacing/chain widths/smaller sprokets - I'm not sure. (all of Commencals Clash's are specced with Sram drivetrain).

Another thing to note is none of the Clash's are specced with Chain guides. I chose A'la Carte (where you can spec your own bike but not buy every component) and chose an E13 TRS+ as listed in the a'la carte menu for the Clash. The frame has the ISCG tabs to attach the chain guide. I fitted it as per the instructions and it cleared the frame. What I didnt realise was that as the shock passes through the last inch or 2 of travel the upper chain guide move relative to the chain stay and actually interferes with the chainstay. I noticed last night after I got home that I had worn paint away from the frame. I'v now had to modify the chain guide and heli-tape the frame.

One thing about the Clash is that it's probably the best looking bike I've ever owned. The static geometry looks so perfect I think I'm always going to be excited to ride it, even if I had to ride it to the shop I'm still looking forward to throwing a leg over it.

I've bought the bike as an enduro race machine as well as a tool for the Megavalanche. I've got a feeling it might slow me down a little bit on the flatter parts of the enduro tracks but it might be able to make up for it on the descents. If I wanted a more focused enduro race machine I would have chosen the Meta. The Clash is a more dh-orientated enduro bike. The linkages and frame are noticeably bigger (and I think house larger bearings) so should be able to take more punishment. This is what appeals to me and why I bought it.

In terms of pedaling in between stages I'm honestly not worried about it wearing me out, the shock lockout and 75.5 deg seat angle means you can trundle along uphills ok.

Another thing to note is that if you fit your own rear brake make sure to follow Commencal's own guide to fitting the rear caliper to the Clash. It's mostly common sense but worth following to prevent hoses either going into spokes or being stretched.

I'm really happy with the purchase and excited about next weekends ride already.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
To me the Clash looks like the perfect Mini DH park bike on the weekends and rip around local xc during the week.

Seems like it should be a little more durable bashing through some rocky dh than the lightweight enduro/trail bikes that are popular right now but a little more poppy on jumps than a full on dh bike with a dual crown. Kind of like a modern specialized demo 7

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 19:31 Quote
What size frame did you end up getting and how tall are you if you dont mind me asking? The Clash looks so damn sexy btw.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
handynw522 wrote:
What size frame did you end up getting and how tall are you if you dont mind me asking? The Clash looks so damn sexy btw.
I got a size L on my clash. My height is 5'9"ish, and it fits a bit on the small side to be honest.

FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 1:33 Quote
handynw522 wrote:

5ft10, size L. Feels spot on.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
antigit wrote:
handynw522 wrote:

Awesome thanks!!

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
antigit wrote:
handynw522 wrote:

Noted. Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019025
Mobile Version of Website