Race Face Aeffect R 30 Rear Hub Ate Itself, Need some guidance

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Race Face Aeffect R 30 Rear Hub Ate Itself, Need some guidance
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 14:53 Quote
I bought an Ibis Mojo 3 who's build included Race Face Aeffect R 30 wheels. I noticed a bunch of odd clicking noises that seemed to be getting louder as my last ride went on, changing from clicking to popping. Get home, throw it in the stand, pull the rear axle and the freehub body/cassette just falls off the wheel. I nested the freehub pawls back in so i could use a chain whip to remove the cassette and saw that the axle that runs through the hub sheared off (and the freehub body is fubar'd too, pawls shot, etc). Really odd since its only been ridden for 6 months in dry weather.

I've been having a hell of a time getting the online retailer i bought the ibis from to deal with it as race face apparently wants the warranty stuff run through whoever sold it (I don't know how much of that is bs but i certainly haven't been able to get them to respond to me directly). They apparently finally responded and are sending the shop a new freehub body and axle. I got to tearing it down and what's left of the axle won't budge. I don't want to get nuts with a drift or anything since the bearings are still good, but do you guys have any idea? The threaded end cap was on the drive side on these particular hubs, so i'm assuming it comes out the non-drive side (but the last time I worked as a pro mechanic was the early 2000's so.........). This whole thing has been a pain in the ass, hopefully it doesn't drag out any further.

photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
Sorry for raising an old thread - I had pretty much exactly the same happen to me this week. How did you eventually resolve this? Was it covered under warranty?

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
Anybody? This exact same thing just happened to me????.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
+1 Just happend to mer as well. Frown

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 20:06 Quote
....and me. Looking for a replacement axle. Had the freehub eat itself once too.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 19:58 Quote
This happened to me to me twice in a row this past summer. The first time, raceface sent warranty replacement parts to my local bike shop and they fixed it in house. As soon as i got my bike back I went for a ride and it broke again in the exact same place. My whole freehub body got destroyed the second time because I tried to keep riding it, eventually the pedals spun freely with no drive train engagement, so I walked it the rest of the way back to my car. Took the bike back to the shop and raceface had them mail in my rear wheel that time. Three weeks later I pressured the shop tech to get me some sort of ETA. The tech called raceface, they said they were waiting on parts which would be another 3-4 weeks. The tech said that is not acceptable, and eventually convinced them to ship me a whole new rear wheel w/ freehub body on the house. Cant complain with that! I was stoked. I've been busy working and have only gone on one short mellow ride since then. Hoping it will hold together this time.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
Same issue here on the R30. Seems like a really crazy failure to me.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
Jage2 wrote:
This happened to me to me twice in a row this past summer.

Hoping it will hold together this time.

Keep us posted.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
Interesting, I have the same issue with a race face Vault hub on a set of Next R wheels.

EDIT- Race Face replaced the hub shell under warranty.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
Just opened up my Race Face DAeffect R 30 Rear Hub to find the same broken metal shaft. Might have a moan in twitter to them about their shoddy parts.

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
+1 more, Race Face Aefect R 30 running with an Xd driver.

Had a friend riding the bike last week, went to pull the rear wheel off for something else and the cassette fell off, axle broken right at the same spot. Got the bike used so not sure if RF will be any help on this, seems like a design flaw for sure.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 15:22 Quote
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I can't get the non-drive side half of the axle out. It's stuck on the bearing where it sheared. Anyone have any advice or find a solution?

If I can get the axle out, then I think I only need a new axle and freehub body.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
RaceFace support might be willing to help you out, definitely check in with them. Not the best hub, but their support was pretty good for me.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 9:02 Quote
This is nuts, same thing you've all just said happened to me. Took my rear wheel off and cassette fell of too. Anyone have an update on if a shop can get a warranty if you bough the bike used? Also how do you get the other hub piece out?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017272
Mobile Version of Website