How to avoid wet feet

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 5:16 Quote
Now that the weather in the UK has turned and we've got a few months of wet and muddy rides to look forward to for 6 months, I thought I'd see how people are avoiding/coping with wet feet.

For years I've been using Sealskin socks and Fiveten Impacts, but on a recent rainy ride my feet got soaked. I think the water must have been running down my legs into the socks, but because the socks are waterproof they just filled with water, as the water was unable to escape. I’m sure this was worse than if I was just wearing normal socks.

What is everyone else wearing on their feet in winter? Normal socks and waterproof shoes? Waterproof sock and normal shoes? Feet in plactic bags?

Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
Essentially by putting the bikes away till next April. MTB is a summer dry fun activity as far as I'm concerned.
I get zero fun from slopping around in the mud, rain & cold.
Thats how I cope anyway Big Grin (plus you dont ruin your bikes)

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
Sounds a bit boring, and restrictive living in the UK!

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 8:35 Quote
I've found wearing DH trousers can help a fair bit. Adds an extra layer of protection. Failing that, long waterproof trousers.

Neither are ideal for long rides though!

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
I wear merino wool socks and continue to ride with wet feet, have yet to die doing so.

Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
Waterproof shoes, waterproof socks for every ride if it's going to be wet.

A very low threshold for putting on waterproof trousers if it's raining significantly

I agree that if water gets inside the socks it can be a bit uncomfortable, although generally they stay warmer than non waterproof socks.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
mars-bar-man wrote:
I've found wearing DH trousers can help a fair bit. Adds an extra layer of protection. Failing that, long waterproof trousers.

Neither are ideal for long rides though!

I have actually got some trousers, but never wear them, as they are too long. May have to give that a go next rainy ride.

gnarnaimo wrote:
I wear merino wool socks and continue to ride with wet feet, have yet to die doing so.

Thanks, will give them a try, I know merino is good for keeping warm when it is wet!

BarneyStinson wrote:
Waterproof shoes, waterproof socks for every ride if it's going to be wet.

A very low threshold for putting on waterproof trousers if it's raining significantly

I agree that if water gets inside the socks it can be a bit uncomfortable, although generally they stay warmer than non waterproof socks.

On that last wet ride I was sure that normal socks would have let the water out and my feet would have been dry by the end of the ride. It felt like both my socks and shoes were waterlogged.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 19:25 Quote
I find waterproof stuff just doesn't breath well enough. Aside from a jacket I rock the typical gear just with merino wool shirts and socks...frigging love merino wool

FL
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
Just go with good wool socks. They stay warm when wet and they breath better than any "breathable" fabrics do. Waterproof socks are just stupid... all they do is keep the outside water out, but your feet get just as wet (and clammy and gross) from your own sweat because with a shoe on, they are horrible with breathability.

The bonus is wool socks are actually also the best at keeping your feet cool in the summer as well.

The newer generation of thinner mixed material merino wool socks are not your Dad's big ol itchy wool socks. These things are awesome. There are a bunch or great ones out there but I find the two I like the most are Darn Tough who have a LIFETIME, unconditional warranty. And Smartwool

Both products I just buy at my local MEC here in Canada... REI to those who live in the US... not sure about the UK... but I'm sure the websites can point you in the direction of suppliers. Or better yet, I'm sure there are probably local manufacturers doing the same thing in the UK.

Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
If you wear waterproof socks the long ones work better, especially with knee pads.

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 12:12 Quote
Cold and wet weather- neoprene socks,still get wet but feet are warm.
Warm and wet weather -who cares

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
I'm going to look out for some merino socks and see how they go.

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 18:33 Quote
I also use merino socks,I think he has a little effect.

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 at 6:13 Quote
Change your shoes – some GoreTex lines mid boots like these are ace to ride in in winter. Accept you are going to get wet, with any shoe, and buy a decent pair of merino socks as well.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010276
Mobile Version of Website