What aggresive hardtail should I buy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What aggresive hardtail should I buy?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 6:17 Quote
I am riding a 2017 Cannondale Trail 5 right now which is a complete POS. It is constantly creaking and I have tacoed both wheels. Overall it is just a super cheap and crappy bike.

I am wanting to replace it with something better before the end of the year (to avoid getting hit with the extra costs of the tariffs that are incoming). I should be able to get together about $1300. I'd like an aggressive hardtail that can run 27.5"+ wheels. My top choice is a Nukeproof Scout 275 Race (although I can't find any one selling a new ones right now so I don't know if they are all sold out for the year). What other bikes should I consider?

FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
Used transition trans am would be a good choice. Used Kona explosif would also be a good choice. NS bikes has some stuff in your price range. When you buy used just save some money for a fork rebuild, tune up, brake job etc.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 at 18:24 Quote
I would say try and find a good deal on a chromag hardtail. The stylus would be the most agressive.
I actually did some friendly enduro races on a stylus and it was unbelievable

Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 4:36 Quote
A Vitus Sentier from CRC might be worth a look but availability could be an issue as well.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 4:58 Quote
CAMERONN1303 wrote:
I would say try and find a good deal on a chromag hardtail. The stylus would be the most agressive.
I actually did some friendly enduro races on a stylus and it was unbelievable

I'd love to find a Chromag Stylus but I haven't seen any in my budget. I'll keep an eye out.

My biggest worry with buying used is that I figure I need to put aside more then $1300 or spend like $1000 and have an extra $300 for a fork rebuild and generally refreshing the bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 5:06 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
A Vitus Sentier from CRC might be worth a look but availability could be an issue as well.

Yeah the Sentier VR+ would be nice but it is sold out.

I figure they are reasonable components and I can slowly upgrade overtime and eventually upgrade the frame to either a Chromag Stylus or Sick Hacksaw Surgeon.

Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 5:29 Quote
Dartmoor Primal or Hornet are good price/performance bikes and can take a beating :-)

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 11:04 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Dartmoor Primal or Hornet are good price/performance bikes and can take a beating :-)

I had considered the Hornet but I wasn't sure about the RST Storm fork.

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 1:23 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
onyxss wrote:

I had considered the Hornet but I wasn't sure about the RST Storm fork.

Hornet Pro has better fork. Also consider Primal if you plan to use bike mainly for trail riding, Hornet is very DH/FR oriented.

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 23:26 Quote
Nukeproof scout

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 23:33 Quote
I absolutely love my 2018 Commencal Meta HT AM Origin. I got it for 1100 new and the build is great for the price. It's handled trails like the whole enchilada in Moab great and I'd recommend getting the 2019 or the Scout that's in the same price range.

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
toizzz wrote:
Nukeproof scout
Agree... that bike doesn't need an introduction

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 7:51 Quote
So I accidentally ended up with a Niner WFO9.

But I am planning on getting a Scout cause I want an aggressive hardtail still and I want something I can put on a trainer.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011616
Mobile Version of Website