Help me pick a good all-round 27.5 bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me pick a good all-round 27.5 bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 13:36 Quote
Hello,

I need some help picking a good mid travel (140-150) 27.5" bike. I'm looking for something playful, that doesn't need a lot of body language to be moved around, but still won't hold me back when things get rowdy. A good pedaling efficiency (steep seat angle or at least efficient linkage) is a must, since I do a lot of climbing too.

So far I narrowed my choices to:
Propain Tyee AM - my first choice, just waiting to see if Propain will offer framesets like previous years
Bird Aeris 145 - probably my second choice
Banshee Spitfire - the geometry is not up to date, but the KS Link is very efficient

Jeffsy would be an option too, but YT only offer their framesets in carbon and i'm on a budget.
I really like what Commencal did with the geometry of their 2019 META, but the changes are only for the 29ers.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 13:44 Quote
What's your budget?

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
What's your budget?

Something like 1500€ for the frame.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
Canton spectral or evil calling (I know the calling is 130mm but the delta linkage makes it feel bottomless. And you can run a 150mm fork)

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 14:47 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Canton spectral or evil calling (I know the calling is 130mm but the delta linkage makes it feel bottomless. And you can run a 150mm fork)

I don't like the geometry of the Spectral. Having an Evil would be a dream come true, but the frame is like 3200€... way over my budget.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 14:49 Quote
I found a website that has the 2017 frames for sale for 1800 usd. Kind of been saving it for myself. Pm me for the link as I don't want to give it all away.

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 9:36 Quote
Shameless bump. Big Grin

Jokes aside... has anyone tried more than one of the mentioned bikes?

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 14:37 Quote
Zayphod wrote:
Shameless bump. Big Grin

Jokes aside... has anyone tried more than one of the mentioned bikes?
I've ridden the Jeffsy. I would take it over any other bikes mentioned.

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 14:41 Quote
Zayphod wrote:
Hello,

I need some help picking a good mid travel (140-150) 27.5" bike. I'm looking for something playful, that doesn't need a lot of body language to be moved around, but still won't hold me back when things get rowdy. A good pedaling efficiency (steep seat angle or at least efficient linkage) is a must, since I do a lot of climbing too.

So far I narrowed my choices to:
Propain Tyee AM - my first choice, just waiting to see if Propain will offer framesets like previous years
Bird Aeris 145 - probably my second choice
Banshee Spitfire - the geometry is not up to date, but the KS Link is very efficient

Jeffsy would be an option too, but YT only offer their framesets in carbon and i'm on a budget.
I really like what Commencal did with the geometry of their 2019 META, but the changes are only for the 29ers.

Thanks in advance!

trance or reign, great climbing, bomber 'dh' abilities

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 4:06 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

I would if I could. No framesets other than carbon.

lifted-d wrote:
[trance or reign, great climbing, bomber 'dh' abilities

Trance's geometry is kinda outdated:
slack and long seat tube
steep HT angle
short reach which is compensated with longer stem
big stand over

Reign is a mini DH bike, just point it at anything and close your eyes. It's not exactly what i'm looking for.

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 4:11 Quote
Zayphod wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

I would if I could. No framesets other than carbon.

lifted-d wrote:
[trance or reign, great climbing, bomber 'dh' abilities

Trance's geometry is kinda outdated:
slack and long seat tube
steep HT angle
short reach which is compensated with longer stem
big stand over

Reign is a mini DH bike, just point it at anything and close your eyes. It's not exactly what i'm looking for.

reign is a great climbing, mini dh bike !!

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 5:20 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
reign is a great climbing, mini dh bike !!

According to Enduro Mag's review it's a sluggish and cumbersome climber with 2/5 stars for uphill.
I've read a lot about it a few months ago, since it's a very popular and well spec'd bike for the price. But most users opinions are close to what Enduro Mag said. It's excellent and stable for DH stuff, but not so fun when it comes to climbing.

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 1:53 Quote
The sc with coil rear wouldn’t be my choice for climbing to be honest. I would recommend some of the air sprung options for best climbing. And an actual test ride too. I rode the reign adv0 a season ago and it was amazing all rounder. Not an xc machine for certain but it didn’t hold me back. A friend of mine raced enduro a trance with fox 36 up front and it was stellar.

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 2:16 Quote
The Aeris145 is a massive bike for its travel, according to most people, it's more on the enduro side than the all-round trail bike.

I think you maybe should aim at the 120LT if you want a bike in the Bird line-up.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010950
Mobile Version of Website