MRP Ribbon vs DVO Diamond

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
MRP Ribbon vs DVO Diamond
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
Hello,

I need a fork for my new build and i'm torn between Diamond and Ribbon.
Both brands have great customer service and are user serviceable. Both offer great tunability, but honestly i'm not sure if I need it. I'm not an aggressive rider, nor I do big drops, so i'm mostly after the small bump compliance department. I know DVO are great in that regard with their OTT and the use of bladder.

Also the idea of something like Pike/Lyrik+Luftkappe (to improve small bumps) keeps creeping in my head. This probably will be the cheapest option. Also it gives me the future option to upgrade to Avy, although I think Avy in no longer being imported to Europe.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 15:29 Quote
Zayphod wrote:
Hello,

I need a fork for my new build and i'm torn between Diamond and Ribbon.
Both brands have great customer service and are user serviceable. Both offer great tunability, but honestly i'm not sure if I need it. I'm not an aggressive rider, nor I do big drops, so i'm mostly after the small bump compliance department. I know DVO are great in that regard with their OTT and the use of bladder.

Also the idea of something like Pike/Lyrik+Luftkappe (to improve small bumps) keeps creeping in my head. This probably will be the cheapest option. Also it gives me the future option to upgrade to Avy, although I think Avy in no longer being imported to Europe.

That's like comparing water and water. Such a difficult choice. The dvo is the heavier option k believe but I think it is more tuneable. The mrp comes with the benefit of MRPs ramp control cartridge.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 15:31 Quote
Have you also considered a Mattoc? User tuneable as well as easily serviceable.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 3:20 Quote
To be honest, the new debonair air spring in the 2019 Pike/Yari/Lyrik is so sensitive off the top I find it hard to see why you would need a Luftkappe kit. If it was an older Pike, fair enough.

If you're not too bothered about tunability, the 2019 Rockshox stuff is great for set and forget, the only thing I would maybe add is the MRP Ramp control IMO.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
That's like comparing water and water. Such a difficult choice. The dvo is the heavier option k believe but I think it is more tuneable. The mrp comes with the benefit of MRPs ramp control cartridge.

Yeah, actually both are fine choices. Indeed Diamond is one of the heaviest air forks in this class, but one of the plushiest at the same time. Plush is my jam! Also, i'm planning on using Topaz so there's that.

Actually i'm not that attracted to Ribbon, but from what i've read it appears to be a totally solid option. Great build quality and each fork is hand build and tested. Made in USA, as the saying goes. Although i've read some comments about the damper being mediocre?

brianl wrote:
Have you also considered a Mattoc? User tuneable as well as easily serviceable.

I've read a lot of positive things about the Mattoc, but when I asked my LBS for an opinion about Manitou, they told me to look for something else. X-Fusion (umm) in the same price point or spend some more for MRP.

AD4M wrote:
To be honest, the new debonair air spring in the 2019 Pike/Yari/Lyrik is so sensitive off the top I find it hard to see why you would need a Luftkappe kit. If it was an older Pike, fair enough.

If you're not too bothered about tunability, the 2019 Rockshox stuff is great for set and forget, the only thing I would maybe add is the MRP Ramp control IMO.

Yeah, i've read that RS increased the negative air chamber, which is what basically Luftkappe is doing.
One thing that everybody is mentioning about RS is that they're either plush and sensitive, but tend to dive and ride a bit lower in their travel compared to others. Or with a bit more psi you get the desired mid stroke support, but you lose the small bump sensitivity and get somewhat of a harsher ride.

FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
The MRP Ribbon Air has tune-able positive and negative air chambers. You want a Rockshox feel, keep both chambers the same. You want a Fox feel, add a little bit more to the negative chamber. You want uber supple small bump suppleness yet want to keep the support like a Fox Grip2, follow MRP's recommended settings (about 10 psi more in the negative chamber) and dial up the Ramp control some. You want a coil-like, glued to the ground feel yet still want more support than coil offers, add even more to the negative chamber and dial in even more ramp control. You riding a day of smooth camber-y fast berm-y goodness with big hits, and want tons of support to push through berms, put a little more in the positive chamber than the negative. This fork can do it all... and does it better with it's twin tube damper. After you try it... if you feel it's a little over damped, then just service it with a little lighter oil = issue solved.

Then there is the ramp control... to call it a better token system does it a dis-service. It's hard to explain how great it is, I actually think they don't do a very good job of explaining it. It almost works more like high speed compression and ramp control at the same time... but not... it's kinda like "support control" as you seem to gain support as well as ramp from the system, but then you can dial in suppleness with the negative chamber and you have low speed compression adjustment.

Ramp Control is available as an upgrade to Fox and Rockshox forks, but in the Ribbon it's built in, so it's lighter.

The Ribbon can be any fork you need it to be. You can even swap in the MRP coil conversion at some point if you like.

Being able to call them up and chat with an engineer about damping and oil and service etc is really nice as well. Also being able to order parts and seal kits through their website is even nicer.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
The MRP Ribbon Air has tune-able positive and negative air chambers. You want a Rockshox feel, keep both chambers the same. You want a Fox feel, add a little bit more to the negative chamber. You want uber supple small bump suppleness yet want to keep the support like a Fox Grip2, follow MRP's recommended settings (about 10 psi more in the negative chamber) and dial up the Ramp control some. You want a coil-like, glued to the ground feel yet still want more support than coil offers, add even more to the negative chamber and dial in even more ramp control. You riding a day of smooth camber-y fast berm-y goodness with big hits, and want tons of support to push through berms, put a little more in the positive chamber than the negative. This fork can do it all... and does it better with it's twin tube damper. After you try it... if you feel it's a little over damped, then just service it with a little lighter oil = issue solved.

Then there is the ramp control... to call it a better token system does it a dis-service. It's hard to explain how great it is, I actually think they don't do a very good job of explaining it. It almost works more like high speed compression and ramp control at the same time... but not... it's kinda like "support control" as you seem to gain support as well as ramp from the system, but then you can dial in suppleness with the negative chamber and you have low speed compression adjustment.

Ramp Control is available as an upgrade to Fox and Rockshox forks, but in the Ribbon it's built in, so it's lighter.

The Ribbon can be any fork you need it to be. You can even swap in the MRP coil conversion at some point if you like.

Being able to call them up and chat with an engineer about damping and oil and service etc is really nice as well. Also being able to order parts and seal kits through their website is even nicer.

I couldn't agree more. I have a Ribbon and absolutely love it. Easy to service, fun to ride, and durable.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 2:57 Quote
islandforlife wrote:

Reading all this almost made me hard!
Aaand now I have the sudden urge to tinker with my suspension... except I can't... thanks, Fox.

Well... DVO has about the same level of adjustability, but its quite a bit heavier. Though they offer 37mm offset and it will match the Topaz... decisions, decisions.

BTW, can MRP be serviced at home? I'm talking about full service, not just the lower legs.
I can't find any guides on their website.

FL
Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 8:45 Quote
[/Quote]

Reading all this almost made me hard!
Aaand now I have the sudden urge to tinker with my suspension... except I can't... thanks, Fox.

Well... DVO has about the same level of adjustability, but its quite a bit heavier. Though they offer 37mm offset and it will match the Topaz... decisions, decisions.

BTW, can MRP be serviced at home? I'm talking about full service, not just the lower legs.
I can't find any guides on their website.[/Quote]

I know lower legs can easily be serviced... you can also easily change the travel at home, similar to a lower leg service and spacers come in 5mm increments, you don't need a whole new air shaft.

I am unsure about full service... best thing to do is shoot them an email, they're pretty responsive. Or better yet, give them a call, they always seem to answer when I've called and are full of valuable info.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008818
Mobile Version of Website