Visiting NJ and NY

PB Forum :: USA - East
Visiting NJ and NY
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
I’ll be visiting NJ & NY for a couple of weeks and planning to get in a few days of riding. I’ll be based out of Englewood, NJ (mostly) and Yonkers. Does anyone know where I can rent a decent trail bike and point me in the direction of some sweet trails? Looking to ride Jungle Habitat if all else fails. Will return the favor if you’re anywhere in Malaysia or New Zealand.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
Try trail forks app I’m from upstate don’t really know any trails down in that area

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
Leubs387 wrote:
Try trail forks app I’m from upstate don’t really know any trails down in that area

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got the app— just trying to get some local knowledge into which trails to ride within the short time span that I’ve got. tup

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 1:31 Quote
pretty large area, and loose time frame. Give us some specifics

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
schofell84 wrote:
pretty large area, and loose time frame. Give us some specifics

Looking for riding spots (trail/AM) in northeastern NJ, preferably within an hours drive of Bergen county.

The one I can immediately think of is Jungle Habitat, maybe there are spots other than the ones on trailforks?

I hope the weather won’t be too bad in April so I can get a couple of solid days to ride.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
I work at the Trek store on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. If you're able to make the trip into the city, we have a demo fleet of Fuel EX 9.8s that we'd be happy to rent out to you for a couple of days.

As for trails, Jungle Habitat has always looked cool but I've never actually been out there. I'd shoot for some time in the Alpine Scout camp and Blauvelt State Park. Both have some fun trails, Alpine is pretty short downhills lapped with a fire road climb, Blauvelt is a longer trail network but not quite as fast/flowing.

On the Yonkers side, Sprain Ridge Park and Graham Hills Park are both fun singletrack areas. Blue Mountain in Peekskill is a popular one too, more technical than any of the others I've listed.

Depending on when exactly you're here, you should check in Mountain Creek Bike Park is open. Lift service downhill with a lot of fun trails that are totally doable on a trail bike as long as you're not throwing the big jumps.

All of these are on Trailforks for you to check out, although Blauvelt has quite a few "unofficial" trails that are more local knowledge than Trailforks can keep up with.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
From Englewood

Allaire, 1 hour, flat, not very technical at all. Different though, semi sandy, drains really well. Best bet for wet weather and usually does not have snow while north NJ may.

Ringwood, 35 minutes. Technical. Some steep parts. Diverse, with race course is easy to navigate.

Tourne, 35 minutes, small, easy to nav. Light tech.

Stephens/Allamuchy 45 minutes, tech, huge, good flow and some easier stuff mixed in.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
Thanks @Dedward2 and @blast-off

So much to do, so little time! Will definitely look into the spots that both of you have mentioned.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
Not sure how far you can drive/what you'll have access to, but Graham and Sprain are fun and make the most out of their limited area. If you can get up to blue mountain I would recommend it. Sprain is in yokers, and Graham is in pleasantville I think? Graham should be about ~20 min from Yonkers depending on where in yonkers you are. There are a bunch of smaller mtb bike shops in the westchester area but I am not sure if any of them rent.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
Windham is an hour and a half north of NYC. Do yourself the favor.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 16:37 Quote
Armalite wrote:

More like 2 1/2 if we're being realistic. Maybe 2 if he's starting across the bridge or at the norther part of Yonkers, but I'm not sure Windham will be open when he's around regardless. Their website says opening day is planned for May 25

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
Dedward2 wrote:
Armalite wrote:

More like 2 1/2 if we're being realistic. Maybe 2 if he's starting across the bridge or at the norther part of Yonkers, but I'm not sure Windham will be open when he's around regardless. Their website says opening day is planned for May 25

Touche. I live about 45 minutes away from Windham, so my perception is skewed.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 3:21 Quote
stonant wrote:
Not sure how far you can drive/what you'll have access to, but Graham and Sprain are fun and make the most out of their limited area. If you can get up to blue mountain I would recommend it. Sprain is in yokers, and Graham is in pleasantville I think? Graham should be about ~20 min from Yonkers depending on where in yonkers you are. There are a bunch of smaller mtb bike shops in the westchester area but I am not sure if any of them rent.

Yeah, I was thinking Sprain would be the closest and easiest to get to, but Graham looks like fun too, albeit a bit farther. Anyways, thanks for the tip!

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
Armalite wrote:
Dedward2 wrote:
Armalite wrote:

Touche. I live about 45 minutes away from Windham, so my perception is skewed.

Hey thanks guys! As much as I would like to give Windham a go, I don’t think I’ll be throwing a leg over a DH bike anytime soon, my knees aren’t just up to the task yet, but I’ll keep that in mind the next time I’m stateside!

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Sprain and Graham are both great, Sprain is more tech, while Graham is easier to do laps, as all the trails meet at the top, so you can just cruise up yellow, then have your pick of a number of descents.

My recommendation is to go to both.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013884
Mobile Version of Website