Help with deciding where to go for summer vacation in BC.

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Help with deciding where to go for summer vacation in BC.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 0:48 Quote
Hi All

Hoping I can get some advice on what to do for my summer holidays I am planning on spending in BC.

I am originally from the Vancouver area so am familiar with the region, however I havent been riding there since 2001. A lot has changed in that time.

I am in Dubai and plan to spend the 2 months of July and August back in BC and specifically the Vancouver area and will be with my 6 year old son.

Last year I took him to the french alps and spend 6 weeks there. It was great as I put him in a summer camp and got myself a Portes Solei pass for 270 euros and went biking everyday. This was my first time bike parking it and it was fun but I also prefer to have more of the BC type riding ie not necessarily lift access riding.

So what I am looking for is ideas of where to base myself. Whistler is an obvious choice. Although I am not sure on the costs for accommodation rentals. In Chatel we has a 1 bed apartment for 600 euros for the 6 weeks which was perfect.

I see the lift passes for the season at Whistler are crazy expensive.

Another consideration if anyone has advice is the availability of summer camp/day care for my son. I would like something he can learn about the outdoors etc if anyone has a line on this sort of thing.

Many thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
Check out Mtn Fun Basecamp in Squamish. Great riding in the area and probably not as expensive as Whistler would be. At least that's been my experience. And Whister is just a short drive if you wanted to go there and ride.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Check out Mtn Fun Basecamp in Squamish. Great riding in the area and probably not as expensive as Whistler would be. At least that's been my experience. And Whister is just a short drive if you wanted to go there and ride.

Thanks. I love Squamish so this maybe a great idea as I am not sure I dig the super business aspect plus I like the more pedally riding as opposed to strictly bike park.

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
The Okanagan has a ton of riding! If you decide to check us out PM me and I will show you around some of the lesser known trails. Hoodoo Adventures has kids programs.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
humangps wrote:
The Okanagan has a ton of riding! If you decide to check us out PM me and I will show you around some of the lesser known trails. Hoodoo Adventures has kids programs.

Sorry for the late reply. This is also an option for me.

What is the best option in terms of renting a small place for the summer and being able to ride?

Looking at whistler and it seems super expensive.

I will be with my 5 year old son so want to get him into a summer camp thing where he can do some interesting stuff he cant do here in the middle east and then I want to ride while he is there.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
bags1 wrote:

What options are there in Squamish to rent over the summer?

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 2:33 Quote
Honestly, I'm not really sure, Whistler is pricy for a stay like that, you'll be there longer than most vacationers and not as long as someone who wants to work there for a season or two, so you're in between getting a better deal on long term and not long enough to get a discounted rate. I would get in touch with that Base Mountain Fun Camp and see what they can do. I know they have cabins to rent spots to pitch a tent, or even park you're motor home. And the guy who runs the place is a stand up type person. I would get in touch with them and see if they can help you out. Either by staying there or by recommending some other options for you.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 2:56 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Honestly, I'm not really sure, Whistler is pricy for a stay like that, you'll be there longer than most vacationers and not as long as someone who wants to work there for a season or two, so you're in between getting a better deal on long term and not long enough to get a discounted rate. I would get in touch with that Base Mountain Fun Camp and see what they can do. I know they have cabins to rent spots to pitch a tent, or even park you're motor home. And the guy who runs the place is a stand up type person. I would get in touch with them and see if they can help you out. Either by staying there or by recommending some other options for you.

Awesome. Thanks mate.

I think a huge issue is the crazy housing market in Vancouver and by extension BC.

I mean I paid 750 euros all in for a one bed apartment for 6 weeks in Chatel France.

Whistler and even Squamish are looking like 2000 CAD per month.

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
It is the busy season but ceratinly won't be as expensive as Whistler. You sho
uld be able to check out prices on line.
SeniorBrucio wrote:
humangps wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. This is also an option for me.

What is the best option in terms of renting a small place for the summer and being able to ride?

Looking at whistler and it seems super expensive.

I will be with my 5 year old son so want to get him into a summer camp thing where he can do some interesting stuff he cant do here in the middle east and then I want to ride while he is there.

FL
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
Penticton (south Okanagan) is a great place. We have some really great riding, a family friendly pump track, and lots of other stuff to do for the family; beaches, rock climbing, wine/brewery tours, lots of festivals and events. Hoodoo Adventures has been mentioned and is awesome!

If you're curious on the riding here check out my YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/c/letsgoridebikes

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019123
Mobile Version of Website