Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
Posted: Nov 29, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
That is sweet! tup

New parts, old parts, it doesn't matter! it's all about getting it built and enjoying it! Big Grin

I look forward to seeing the end result!

Posted: Nov 29, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
suravida wrote:
Nice one! What's the frame weight? (Not that it matters, but it somehow looks both light and heavy )

ill have to weigh it tonight and get back to you. Feels lighter than I expected to be honest.

Posted: Nov 29, 2019 at 17:24 Quote
Oh thats gonna be a smoker!!!

Posted: Nov 29, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
suravida wrote:
Nice one! What's the frame weight? (Not that it matters, but it somehow looks both light and heavy )

With the shock, bottom bracket and rear axel it's 10.4 lbs.noy lightweight by any means but I'm no weight weenie and it's gonna be a blast down.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:13 Quote
photo

Well got it out on a snowy ride and it feels so good. Unfortunately it was on a road a short single track due to time limitations. I am hoping that I can get out this weekend if time permits for a proper ride. One of my usual quick loops, connector and Rocky screech in the Crawford riding area in Kelowna.

It's one that I know quite well and will be able to get a good feel coming off an older giant reign x 26er.

Built it up on as much of a budget as possible as I originally wasn't planing on buying a whole new frame set from Ferrum but it was too good of a deal. So the rest of the parts are about as budget as you can get. Had to pretty mich beg, borrow and steal parts off the old bike to get it completed. But it rides super nice and can't wait to get it out on a proper trail.

Weight as it stands is 37 lbs of steel and AL goodness.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
Looking good. Bet you are looking forward to the first proper ride.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:42 Quote
russellherman wrote:
photo

Well got it out on a snowy ride and it feels so good. Unfortunately it was on a road a short single track due to time limitations. I am hoping that I can get out this weekend if time permits for a proper ride. One of my usual quick loops, connector and Rocky screech in the Crawford riding area in Kelowna.

It's one that I know quite well and will be able to get a good feel coming off an older giant reign x 26er.

Built it up on as much of a budget as possible as I originally wasn't planing on buying a whole new frame set from Ferrum but it was too good of a deal. So the rest of the parts are about as budget as you can get. Had to pretty mich beg, borrow and steal parts off the old bike to get it completed. But it rides super nice and can't wait to get it out on a proper trail.

Weight as it stands is 37 lbs of steel and AL goodness.

Make sure you fill that DVO topaz with the volume spacers. You probably want ~4 in there to compensate for the lack of progression built into the single pivot Smile

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 8:07 Quote
I can't wait to get it out on my usual look and for a proper ride. I do have to set the suspension up and add spacers. But for now it still feels so much better going to more progressive geo from my old reign x.

I'll post more as I can but with the holidays being so busy and weather working against me it's pribdhly going to be a little harder.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
russellherman wrote:
I can't wait to get it out on my usual look and for a proper ride. I do have to set the suspension up and add spacers. But for now it still feels so much better going to more progressive geo from my old reign x.

I'll post more as I can but with the holidays being so busy and weather working against me it's pribdhly going to be a little harder.

I ordered a frameset yesterday. You get a lot for the money! Geometry looked good to me, too.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
Nictue wrote:
russellherman wrote:

I ordered a frameset yesterday. You get a lot for the money! Geometry looked good to me, too.

Ya that's why I bought it as well. I wanted a steel frame and to get everything the frameset came with it just made sense.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'm still not too sure when I'll be able to get out for a proper ride to get a good feel of it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Nictue wrote:

Isn't that the truth. For the around the same price as others charge for the frame a!one - you get the fork and dropper post also. Heck of a deal.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
So what we talking here ?

£2k for frame , fork & dropper?

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
So what we talking here ?

£2k for frame , fork & dropper?

$1299 for the frame. That's well reasonable.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Nictue wrote:

Isn't that the truth. For the around the same price as others charge for the frame a!one - you get the fork and dropper post also. Heck of a deal.

Absolutely. They are also great to deal with. They are putting a lot of thought into the frames and the quality, as far as my untrained eye can tell, is top notch. I highly recommend anyone in North America consider them as an option.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012779
Mobile Version of Website