O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 19:31 Quote
photo

My zerode for reference

FL
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
I tried to build my own

19 stumpy evo, S3 29'er
170mm Coil sprung fox 36 (Vorsprung smashpot)
57mm stroke Cane Creek IL coil up back (163mm travel)

It's fantastic on the downhill, but I also have a S-Works Demo..... when it comes to going down a hill as fast as possible the big bike wins every time. The Stumpy is 9/10ths as fast but way more fun to ride.

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
That stumpy is gorgeous. 10/10 would smash

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 20:00 Quote
Brasher wrote:
I tried to build my own

19 stumpy evo, S3 29'er
170mm Coil sprung fox 36 (Vorsprung smashpot)
57mm stroke Cane Creek IL coil up back (163mm travel)

It's fantastic on the downhill, but I also have a S-Works Demo..... when it comes to going down a hill as fast as possible the big bike wins every time. The Stumpy is 9/10ths as fast but way more fun to ride.

photo

only spesh that i like right there, hawtness, hows the smashpot?

FL
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
Thanks,

Haven't officially taken it offroad yet as I only installed the kit the other night, but the driveway test I give it the thumbs up in the plush department. Reminds me of my Boxxer Teams from my old Devinci. Absolutely no stiction.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
I'm thinking of getting a 27 Capra... I'm about 6'1 and I think I'd fit better on the XL? My buddies think I may struggle to climb though. I wouldn't mind the 29er but 27.5 matches my riding style better and the 27 capra is somewhat more aggressive.

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 3:40 Quote
Hi guys I have a canyon torque 2018 and it descends like a boss and climbs pretty good with the upgrade from sram GX 11- 42 to a BOX 2 extra wide 11-50 Tooth making it climb rather well for 180-175mm travel compared to my Transition Patrol it doesn’t climb as good but being designed off the Sender its DH orientated..
Was either Torque or Capra when I was buying.
Being from Australia we have a canyon shop in Melbourne so it’s easier to call than doing e mails if problems occur..
Like YT they are a real bang for buck bike...

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
I'll throw the Transition Patrol into the mix. A little less travel then the others, (170/160) but more than makes up for it in the geometry department. It's super steep seattube angle makes it climb better than a lot of the bikes in this category. Descends better than any downhill bike I have ever ridden, however I haven't had a modern downhill bike since 2015, and even then it wasn't a top spec race bike or anything.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 22:48 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
I'll throw the Transition Patrol into the mix. A little less travel then the others, (170/160) but more than makes up for it in the geometry department. It's super steep seattube angle makes it climb better than a lot of the bikes in this category. Descends better than any downhill bike I have ever ridden, however I haven't had a modern downhill bike since 2015, and even then it wasn't a top spec race bike or anything.

Oh yeah, I’d get the new patrol in a split second if I could, unfortunately, I only have about 3.5k and for a decent spec on the patrol costs a decent amount

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
Mondraker Dune. They call it their Super Enduro bike. Hands down best choice.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
kona-jon wrote:
No enduro bike will ever compare to a dh bike on the downs, they are completely different machines. I view the “superenduro” bikes as the ultimate compromise, they pedal just ok, and descend pretty good but leave a lot to be desired if you are used to a real DH bike. Think along the lines of a pair of workboots, you can take them anywhere and do anything, but there are probably things better suited for marathon running or a pickup soccer game.

This is why I own a Nomad, a Sight 29er and a Furious. Biking is really all I do, and I will not compromise is any area of my riding. Will a long travel enduro bike get you down a DH race course? Yes, but if you were on a real DH bike you will go faster, hence why they exist in the first place. Will a long travel enduro bike let you go out and pedal trails with your friends? Yes, but unless you are very fit, chances are they will smoke you on their shorter travel bikes

Anyone who tells you anything other than what I have is only trying to justify in their minds having one single bike. If you have the means, having something specifically suited is always the best option. This is just not a reasonable option for the majority of people, that is why the long travel enduro bikes are so popular outside of the strict enduro racers. My Nomad is such an awesome bike, but I do not ride it as much as the others since it is such a compromise on most terrain.

Smartest feedback on pinkbike that I've read today.

Anyone who thinks any enduro bike descends better than a DH bike surely hasn't ridden a DH bike on DH trails. I couldn't contemplate riding black or double black gnar or technical trails on an enduro bike - it'd beat you to pieces in a day, and wouldn't be fun. If you only ride blue trails there fine, but that's not DH. The stability, forgiveness, and ability of true DH bike is the reason 95% of people at Whistler are on DH rigs.

I own a 17 Demo, 16 Intense Tracer, and a 16 Spec Enduro. I say for everyone that can't have more time than one bike buy the bike for the trails you ride most often, and rent a DH bike when you go to the bike park. Longer travel AND MORE WEIGHT always means worse climbing. I hate climbing, and only ride for the downs, so I take the compromise and longer travel bikes. However my build on the Tracer means it weighs 25.5lbs, so it's not as bad as some.

Earlysport

FL
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
Got to agree with you Earlysport.

I have an 18 S-Works Demo (XL) and a 19 Stumpy Evo with Long travel (170/163) and you just cant compare the two on a proper DH track.

The stumpy is 85% as good on proper DH, but on a easier trail (downhill) I think it's actually faster with the 29 inch wheels and longer wheelbase. (yes the stumpy is longer!)

I think it's the triple clamp forks, the confidence you get from them just means you can jump into a rock garden or send it to flat without hesitation.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
Welp, just got my capra today actually, and sold the 2014 operator. We'll see how it goes. Obv I'd rather have a new DH bike for park rides but at this point its not very practical for me, probably will get a tues down the road if I enjoy the capra. Either way I'm ready to rip this thing at the park.

It is a lot of bike for trails that aren't that steep but eh, like you guys said its a compromise.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
Ive spent time on a carbon demo and I have beat every time on that bike with my supreme sx. Even my furious, AL sender and a 710 I have spent a month on. Maybe just me. 29s next.

As for the Nomad, Like a stick of celery. Built one up, got so bored of it, its hanging up in the loft.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 21:23 Quote
I went through the same thoughts as you, OP, and came up with what's below as another example of what can be done in this category. I eye'd the Capra for a while as well before going back to Commencal. I'll be honest, this is not a cheap build (especially at 33 lbs). Just starting to dial it in, but feels great so far--climbs well for what it is and sets up as a park thrasher in 10 minutes (swap wheels, chain ring/bash, seat/post).

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014184
Mobile Version of Website