Safe tire/fork clearance? ( pic inside )

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Safe tire/fork clearance? ( pic inside )
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
Damn, that’s bad that they mislabeled it and are being difficult, keep on em! Hopefully it wasn’t CRC, they got some clearance Boost(+) Manitou forks at the moment...Gotta luva Manitou!

Anyway, tire clearance wise, let the air out of the fork and check the clearance with the crown at full compression... that’s where things could go wrong. Next you’ll want your wheel trued and spokes tensioned well to minimize wheel flex.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 22:07 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Damn, that’s bad that they mislabeled it and are being difficult, keep on em! Hopefully it wasn’t CRC, they got some clearance Boost(+) Manitou forks at the moment...Gotta luva Manitou!

Anyway, tire clearance wise, let the air out of the fork and check the clearance with the crown at full compression... that’s where things could go wrong. Next you’ll want your wheel trued and spokes tensioned well to minimize wheel flex.

Agree with all this. The margin is pretty slim. You will have a lot of rocks get stuck in the treads and doing bad things that won't sound or feel right when they go past the bridge.

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
Heist30 wrote:

The side to side clearance ( hard to tell from the photo ) is pretty good, the only tight spot is the top of the tread and the lower arch.

It was CRC. They are not willing to send me a correct fork, or even a return shipping label. They claim the best they can do is I pay to return it, and send them an invoice for shipping. I debated with them on this, and suddenly they start claiming the fork is "our property" and demanding that I return it to them, which I would happily do if they could provide me with a shipping label and exchange/return.

Currently disputing it with my credit card ( since their ad, my receipt, shows that I paid for not only the 27.5+ version, but the pro version as well ) Hopefully they agree in my favor, and CRC exchanges for what they advertised, or just refunds me and i can sell this fork and buy a proper 27.5+ fork.

Worst case i'll be stuck with this fork, and am wondering if I can use it. The manual says 2.6 tires need a min of 8mm clearance, so kinda tempted to just buy a 2.6 for the front, new tires is way cheaper than a new fork.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 19:18 Quote
Let me know if CRC are still being DH’s. I’ve bought enough from them and have given plenty of good PR so pisses me off they ain’t making things right for you.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 19:26 Quote
Bummer to hear about such awful customer service. I've always dealt with Jenson because their shipping and customer service are as good as it gets.

I'm just supporting the existing advice to depressurize the spring and fully compress it. The lugs absolutely must clear the crown by a few millimeters for it to be safe. Manitou had a recall several years ago due to insufficient clearance. It's not a matter of simply buzzing your crown and removing the paint. If your lugs catch on the crown, your front wheel will stop dead and you might as well have hit a wall.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
Bummer, yeah I was about to say CRC has Boost+ Markhour for like $120(?)… nvm

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 20:36 Quote
How inflated is the tire in the pic? I'd test it at 30psi which will raise the height of the tire to check your clearance.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 0:49 Quote
Jixr wrote:
It was CRC. They are not willing to send me a correct fork, or even a return shipping label. They claim the best they can do is I pay to return it, and send them an invoice for shipping.

Am I missing something bud?
They're saying you can return it and they'll cover costs?
You have to pack it all up and take it the post office anyway regardless of whether they give you a shipping label.
Defo a bummer they can't give you a replacement.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010588
Mobile Version of Website