MegNeg

PB Forum :: SRAM
MegNeg
Posted: Feb 21, 2023 at 22:58 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
Megneg Newby here.....im currently running 28% sag with 2 bands and no token..... Shock feels great but Im only using 80% of travel, am I right in thinking that adding more bands = less pressure therefore I should use more travel.

Adding bands will most likely require more pressure for same sag. Zero bands is the largest negative volume, and therefore will require the least pressure for same sag.
But yes, if yu want to use more of the travel, add bands. This will require more pressure for sag, however it will not ramp up as much towards the end of the stroke (by reducing negative volume with bands you have increased the ratio of the positive volume vs negative volume), which will allow you to use more travel.

Think of it this way: Adding ngative bands (reducing negative volume) has a similar result as removing positive tokens (increasing positive volume). And vice versa.

Posted: Feb 21, 2023 at 23:00 Quote
Cpembo6 wrote:
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
Megneg Newby here.....im currently running 28% sag with 2 bands and no token..... Shock feels great but Im only using 80% of travel, am I right in thinking that adding more bands = less pressure therefore I should use more travel.

Adding bands will most likely require more pressure for same sag. Zero bands is the largest negative volume, and therefore will require the least pressure for same sag.
But yes, if yu want to use more of the travel, add bands. This will require more pressure for sag, however it will not ramp up as much towards the end of the stroke (by reducing negative volume with bands you have increased the ratio of the positive volume vs negative volume), which will allow you to use more travel.

Cheers for that.

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 7:09 Quote
[Quote="ifindoubtflatout"]Megneg Newby here.....im currently running 28% sag with 2 bands and no token..... Shock feels great but Im only using 80% of travel, am I right in thinking that adding more bands = less pressure therefore I should use more travel.[/Quote

If the shock “feels great” I would leave the negative bands for now. Sounds like your negative chamber tune may be spot on if you have a good balance of initial stroke compliance and progressive feel. I presume that is what you mean by it feels good.

If you want to use all the travel, I would run more sag/less pressure, then be prepared to add positive tokens if necessary.
Hope that is helpful.

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 8:23 Quote
[Quote="MT36"]
ifindoubtflatout wrote:
Megneg Newby here.....im currently running 28% sag with 2 bands and no token..... Shock feels great but Im only using 80% of travel, am I right in thinking that adding more bands = less pressure therefore I should use more travel.[/Quote

If the shock “feels great” I would leave the negative bands for now. Sounds like your negative chamber tune may be spot on if you have a good balance of initial stroke compliance and progressive feel. I presume that is what you mean by it feels good.

If you want to use all the travel, I would run more sag/less pressure, then be prepared to add positive tokens if necessary.
Hope that is helpful.

I thought about doing this also.... How do you find it with it sitting deep inti the stroke... Is it still poppy and plush?

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 8:44 Quote
Good question. Yes it does ride poppy and plush. It’s a good blend. I ride a V3 SC Bronson, which does seem to like to ride a bit deep; my sag is about 33%. Sounds like a lot, but it seems to work.

My approach with the Megneg has been to try to maximize the negative chamber as much as possible (by using as few negative spacers/bands as possible), and then build the tune around that. No sense in getting a Megneg if one just tunes it out by adding too many negative bands. To each their own though, of course.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 8:46 Quote
ifindoubtflatout wrote:

You are correct. I'd jump right to 4 bands, no tokens and drop the pressure a bit to see if you can use full travel.

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
Thanks for the responses..... Im going to try it with 4 bands at 30% sag and take it from there.

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 12:28 Quote
Hey everyone, I have been following along with this conversation because I just haven't been able to find the sweet spot with my MegNeg. I am on a Bronson V3 with a Cascade link, which changes the way the MegNeg plays. Does anyone else have experience with the MegNeg and Cascade link? I have tried a number of different settings and I had to run so much PSI to achieve the right sag that small bumps were pretty harsh. I have been told to try the MegNeg without the Cascade link installed or to just run the Cascade Link without the MegNeg, but I have both, so want to find the right spot for both. I took it to a suspension guy at my local shop and after some testing he suggested I just run the MegNeg empty with the Cascade link. No bands, no token. Any ideas or thoughts?

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 13:32 Quote
I have a v3 Bronson with the stock link. I run zero bands, 2 positive spacers. 260psi and I weigh about 210lbs, runs about 33% sag. Maybe that is helpful.

I have heard the cascade link works well with the Megneg. I know the Bronson is on the linear side, so I went maximum negative. I really like this setting.

When you say “right sag” what do you mean in terms of percentage or feel…?

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 16:05 Quote
I guess both. Experimented with sag between 28%~34%. Sometimes it just felt like the small bump was rough. To be honest I’m probably one of the worst at describing how it feels and definitely am not a suspension numbers guy. I just know it didn’t feel like I had hoped. That magic spot with enough pop and plushness.

Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 9:33 Quote
Hmmm… when was the last time you did a shock service? That has a huge impact on small bump, and a little impact on pop.

Also, I have heard a coil is very good paired with the cascade link, specifically for this bike. I’ve heard the progressive coils ride very well.

I think your mechanic also has a good suggestion with starting at zero positive and negative spacers. I would go to this and then tune pressure, compression and rebound around that setting. But if you get too much pogo like feedback/rebound, add a negative band until this characteristic stops

Zero negative bands is the maximum small bump and maximum pop setting, I set my Bronson there and then slowly added positive spacers as needed. This seems like a good way to approach it with a linear rear like the v3 Bronson has.

Posted: Jul 1, 2023 at 3:53 Quote
Hi all, was super happy with MegNeg on my 2020 Clash, but sold it. Now I have 2023 Canyon Spectral with 2023 super deluxe select+, does anyone now if it is possible to put MegNeg on new 2023 RS shocks?

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2023 at 15:29 Quote
Zmagas wrote:
Hi all, was super happy with MegNeg on my 2020 Clash, but sold it. Now I have 2023 Canyon Spectral with 2023 super deluxe select+, does anyone now if it is possible to put MegNeg on new 2023 RS shocks?

Yes. Look for the "progressive" air can. It doesn't quite add the same air volume as the MegNeg did, but it's better than nothing.

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 8:37 Quote
ThermalAttorney wrote:
Zmagas wrote:

Yes. Look for the "progressive" air can. It doesn't quite add the same air volume as the MegNeg did, but it's better than nothing.
That’s not a question about new updated cans. Does “old” MegNeg can work with new C1 Super Deluxe?

I was not able to find info it shouldn’t. Rockshox site says MegNeg compatible with Deluxe and Super Deluxe shocks (excluding Trek Thrushaft)

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 14:56 Quote
Zmagas wrote:
ThermalAttorney wrote:
Zmagas wrote:

That’s not a question about new updated cans. Does “old” MegNeg can work with new C1 Super Deluxe?

I was not able to find info it shouldn’t. Rockshox site says MegNeg compatible with Deluxe and Super Deluxe shocks (excluding Trek Thrushaft)

Looks like the product page for the Megneg hasn't been updated. You can't use it on the MY23+ shocks because they use the same design as the Trek Thrushaft models.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014465
Mobile Version of Website