Anyone in USA and Canada in the construction industry?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Anyone in USA and Canada in the construction industry?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Hi, any of you guys/gals over the pond work in the construction industry that could give me a few pointers about my possible emigration over there and finding work? I'm a 36 year old civil engineer Groundworks site foreman/machine operator and I'm keen to make the move over to your side but I would like to talk to some peeps who actually know it works out there. Basicly without blowing my own horn I'm a pretty good 360 excavator driver, not the type that just loads lorries all day, I do everything excavating services, levelling tarmac, digging complex foundations, landscaping etc the lot. I also run the site when on smaller sites, set out plans, survey and problem solve. I basicly became a civil engineer/groundworker after university to pay off student loans and ended up loving work on site and found I was a dab hand in the 14tonne 360 and we use the 360's for pretty much everything over here. I earn a pretty good wage to support a wife and child, pay the bills and mortgage on a house in an ok area and have enough money left to save, live comfortably and holiday to the states twice a year as well as numerous trips around the uk trails on the bike. Just wanted to know if it's worth having a look at trying to emigrate? Are the wages for someone similar to my profession enough over there to have the same sort of lifestyle? Do I need to get trained on any specific machinery as I read somewhere that usually machine operators need to be trained on lots of different types of machinery e.g. Bulldozers. I have a few different categories but we hardly use dozers here but if it's a requirement for most places over there then I would get trained for it over here. Obviously I love working in the digger as it's a reasonably stress free job but I have been offered a permanent management position in running the site but it is pretty stressful over here and for not that much more money than what I'm on at the moment. Obviously I would like to work in the machines over there and learn the differences before considering running sites. There's nothing worse than being told what to do by someone who hasn't got a clue so I'd hate to be that person. Where are the best and worst states for being in the construction industry? Any help is appreciated

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008059
Mobile Version of Website