Fox float x2 mounting hardware for 2019 trek slash 9.9

PB Forum :: Trek
Fox float x2 mounting hardware for 2019 trek slash 9.9
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 23, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
So I wanna pull the trigger on a float x2. But I cant find info anywhere on what mounting hardware I will need. Any help is greatly appreciated!

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
Last time I talked to fox you can get the hardware through them when you buy the shock. Otherwise sometimes trek will have it and they can send it to your local shop. Make sure you run the proper shock so you don’t void warranty or chip your frame like others do.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
You can get the offset bushings from Fox but need the 10mm mounting hardware from a 2017 slash.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
Chickenlamb wrote:
You can get the offset bushings from Fox but need the 10mm mounting hardware from a 2017 slash.

Fox don't make Offset Bushings, but we can produce mounting hardware for the slash.

Jeron @ Offsetbushings.com

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
https://www.probikesupply.com/a/s/products/2019-fox-float-x2-trek-slash-remedy-230-57-5-kashima-factory-metric-shock

Shock comes with bushings, but you will need bolts (it looks like your current setup is trunnion).

I think worldwide also was selling the 57.5 trek specific X2

Order bolts thru Trek. They should be 540755, but verify with be Trek online customer service for your model year (they are actually helpful). Ask for the exploded view parts diagram for your bike while you are at it.

I just did the same thing with my 2019 Remedy, but with the dpx2.

I wouldn't bother trying to have a shop figure it out.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 1:57 Quote
purplenurples wrote:
https://www.probikesupply.com/a/s/products/2019-fox-float-x2-trek-slash-remedy-230-57-5-kashima-factory-metric-shock

Shock comes with bushings, but you will need bolts (it looks like your current setup is trunnion).

I think worldwide also was selling the 57.5 trek specific X2

Order bolts thru Trek. They should be 540755, but verify with be Trek online customer service for your model year (they are actually helpful). Ask for the exploded view parts diagram for your bike while you are at it.

I just did the same thing with my 2019 Remedy, but with the dpx2.

I wouldn't bother trying to have a shop figure it out.

I want to mount a Float X2 in my 2019 Remedy. What Bolts did you order ?

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 16:50 Quote
I'm going to post up what worked for me. Note that this is a bit of a bodge/hack, so try it at your own risk.

I have a 2020 Fox Float X2 going into a 2018 Trek Slash 9.8 [2018, 2019 and 2020 Trek Slash frames all use the same hardware, as far as I can tell].
The X2 comes with 10mm diameter bushings. Mine came pre-installed. I mounted the shock with the adjustments and piggyback at the top.

The spacing for the upper shock mount is 59.5mm, so let's call that a tight [yo] 60mm.
The spacing for the lower shock mount is ~55mm.

You will need two [2] of the Trek part #540755 - Suspension Part Trek Upper Shock Mount Kit 2017 Black it's basically a pivot bolt set with some blue loctite on it.
You will need two [2] of the Trek part #524244 - Suspension Part Fox Rear Shock Hardware 50 mm x 10 mm [this consists of a steel shaft that goes through the shock bushings plus the offset spacers]
You will need extra spacers as well:
* 3 x 2.5mm thick spacers with ID of 10mm
* 1 x 5mm thick spacers with ID of 10mm

The bottom mount requires one 2.5mm spacer on each side of the 50mm steel shaft [2.5mm + 2.5mm + 50mm = 55mm] plus one of the upper shock mount kits.
I installed the upper mount with the short offset spacer and one 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side. The long offset and 5mm spacer are on the drive side. You will need to jimmy that 5mm spacer in there. Don't get mad when that little ****** doesn't want to go, much less line up with the pivot bolt hole. Just work it in, take your time.

You might be wondering why it's such a tight fit, given that the 50mm shaft + 5mm + 2.5mm = 57.5mm of hardware length, and the spacing is 59.5mm. Well, on the piggyback end of the shock, the spacers plus shock bushing combo is actually ~52.5mm wide, so it's snug with the 2.5mm and 5mm spacers in there.

It's worth mentioning that Katy Winton's Slash + X2 uses a different, narrower, shock eyelet bushing than the current X2. Maybe that's where the extra width comes from.
katy Winton s trek Slash

Regardless, this is what worked for me. YMMV.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
You will need two [2] of the Trek part #540755 - Suspension Part Trek Upper Shock Mount Kit 2017 Black it's basically a pivot bolt set with some blue loctite on it.

great info, thanks! It looks like the upper shock mount kit (#540755) is sold out everywhere. I'm currently looking for analternative bolt that fits, but no luck so far. does anyone know the dimensions of the original trek part?

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 13:27 Quote
Just purchased and installed the X2 on my 2019 Slash 9.9. You don't need to do anything janky to get it to work.

** This will work with EVERY 2017+ Carbon Trek Slash (Not sure about alloy, but would assume it's the same)

NEEDED PARTS: (everything is in stock as of 8/22/18 unless mentioned otherwise)

- FOX X2 (I went with 230mm x 60mm to get 156.5mm of rear travel, the OEM 57.5mm will be the exact same)

- 2x TREK Shock Mount Kit - TREK Part #: 540755 (These are needed due to changing from upper and lower trunnion mount, to the usual eyelet mounting. TREK has a seperate part number for upper and lower kits, but they are the exact same)

- Upper FOX shock mounting hardware - 10mm x 60mm - FOX Part #: 803-03-231 (This should come with the shock)

- Lower FOX shock mounting hardware - 10mm x 50mm (offset spacers) - FOX Part #: 803-03-228 or TREK Part #: 525244 (This can be ordered through a TREK dealer, however they are currently out of stock at TREK, but you can call FOX directly as they have them in stock)

INSTALLATION:

- Press the 10mm x 60mm shock hardware into the top (piggyback end) of the shock.

- Press the 10mm x 50mm shock hardware into the lower (air can end) of the shock. The shorter black spacer goes on the driveside, and longer on the non-drive.

- Mount lower end of the shock as I've found it easier to get the lower mounted before the upper. Use the same black lower shock bearing spacers that the OEM shock uses and mount the shock with the new bolt kit.

- Mount upper end of the shock. The upper won't require any of the OEM spacers, the 60mm FOX mounting hardware fits into the rocker link on its own.

- Congratulate yourself on ridding your bike of the ass OEM shock

I hope this was clear enough, feel free to DM if you have any questions.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
dcdavid12 wrote:
- Upper FOX shock mounting hardware - 10mm x 60mm - FOX Part #: 803-03-231 (This should come with the shock)

THAT is what I couldn't find. My X2 shipped with nothing but the bushings. Mad

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
dcdavid12 wrote:

I would give FOX a call. When I purchased mine, I put down what bike it was going on and they contacted me, asking if I wanted to purchase the mounting hardware through them, as it was out of stock everywhere.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
dcdavid12 wrote:
pinkrobe wrote:
dcdavid12 wrote:

I would give FOX a call. I see they are all out of stock everywhere online. However I bought my shock very recently, so I’d bet they’ve got them in stock directly.
I'll hassle the local rep. It took 2+ months to get the shock, and I'm a bit choked that they didn't include all the bits needed.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
I'll hassle the local rep. It took 2+ months to get the shock, and I'm a bit choked that they didn't include all the bits needed.[/Quote][/Quote]

This was the response from emailing them, and the reason they don’t send anything anymore.

“Soooooooooo, we make a Float x2 in 2019 that was specific for the slash and the hardware was included with the shock. In the 2020 model year, we continued the size but discontinued the included hardware kit as a variety of other bikes are now using the shock. Do you need the hardware specs?”

Give their service number a call or have your LBS call them and I betcha you’ll have it a day or two.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 22:11 Quote
What’s the verdict on the X2 over the stock rock Shox reactiv? I have a 2019 9.8, I pedal a lot, but wondering if there’s a more plush offering that isn’t coil sprung.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012239
Mobile Version of Website