PNW/BC road trip...help me plan it!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
PNW/BC road trip...help me plan it!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
TL;DR version: Should I just get Whistler/Squamish ASAP and skip the rest because that’s all that really matters?

I'm doing a 2 week solo MTB road trip from the SF bay area up to BC. Trying to sort out what areas to make sure I hit vs which to skip.

I’ve done Ashland, North Umpqua and Oakridge OR but that’s as far north as I’ve ridden.

Riding style-
Yes please: Technical, steep roots/rocks, high speed natural trails, drops (up to 4-5’) and generally playful stuff.
Not my thing: Big gaps (small ones fine) and giant features. No real interest in groomed flow trails either.

Potential riding locations:
Bend, Sandy Ridge, Surveyor’s ridge, Cold Creek (Thrillium), Duthie, Tiger Mountain, Raging River, Galbraith, North Shore, Sunshine Coast, Squamish and of course Whistler.

With somewhat limited time, which of the above are not to be missed vs which would you pass on in favor of others. Or...skip everything and just get to Whistler/Squamish?

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
If rocks, roots and technical terrain are favoured, you should definitely hit Tiger Mountain. I've only been to Galbraith once, but definitely want to go back. I've ridden the trails around Lost Lake at Whistler. Those can be fairly technical. I will be riding the park later this summer hopefully.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
Tiger mountain is a must if you like tech. Duthie is pretty sick too but doesn’t sound like it’s your style. Chuckanut in Bellingham is also worth a stop. Very solid tech there too

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
Have only done bend and Galbraith of the us ones. Will never go back to ride bend again. Galbraith is alright but I have never found a loop as good as anything around Vancouver area. I would just go for the gold up here in BC. Definitely spend a day on each of fromme, seymour and cypress then 5 days each in squamish and Whistler. You won't run out of world class trails.

Would be interested in what some of the other places are like though.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
If you are visiting the PNW/B.C. and you go right passed Fromme, Cypress and Seymore to go to Whistler or Squamish you are doing yourself a major disservice.

If I were you, personally I would bank more time for the North Shore/Squamish as you can spend weeks riding there and not hit up all the amazing trails..and they are some of the best technical steep trails out there! Also Pemberton should be added to your list as it has amazing rocky terrain.

Galbraith is also really worth a few days, great riding in Bellingham.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
Lord of the squirrels in Whistler is a pretty epic trail if you find the time!

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
sandy ridge is mostly flowy stuff with some rock gardens thrown in. I would definitely hit Cold Creek/Thrillium. Those are some of my favorite in this area. You get a good mix of terrain. Then in Washington Tiger is a must. Place is so fun.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
Will1848 wrote:

+1 IMHO also the Whistler valley trails are much better than the bike park trails.

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Will1848 wrote:

+1 IMHO also the Whistler valley trails are much better than the bike park trails.

Valley trails? Is that the stuff above the lake near the park or somewhere else?

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
Damn...this is gonna need to be a longer trip! Keep the tips coming, they’re great!

Looking like Cold Creek over Sandy Ridge.
Tiger Mountain over raging river and Duthie (don’t think it’s my style anyway). Maybe add a Galbraith day. Gotta at least squeeze some tracks in on Fromme, cypress or Seymour. Any one better than another? Can I get a good taste in a day? Any of it shuttle-able (many back to back days...not above getting a lift when it’s an option. LOTS looks like a blast but thought it was closed due to bear habitat? And no votes for Sunshine Coast? Falling off my list in 3...2...

Thinking of staying in Squamish (camp or Airbnb)...is this as sensible as anything?

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 20:15 Quote
Squamish is a possible hub but you will spend about an hour in transit each way to go ride somewhere else. Personally I would do three stops. Vancouver is incredible in that you can ride world class mountains and then find some stellar places to eat and sit on a beach and watch a sunset. Driving up to squamish is kinda stupid if you are just going to come back down the next day. Also each of the north shore mountains are quite different from the others, and none are really better. Fromme is the only one that can't be shuttled and Cypress is probably the best one to shuttle (many would say preferable). One day on each would give a taste but that's about it.

I agree with above to add a pemberton day and you would be fine to do this while based in Whistler. If you ride a few days in whistler but don't stay there - I think you are an idiot (no offense). Although very touristy, it is one of the most beautiful places in Canada. The "Valley trails" people speak of are like thrill me kill me, comfortably numb, microclimate, business time, daminal and so forth. LOTS is well worth a day but can be closed at anytime for any number of reasons. If you can't do it, there are lots of other trails to occupy your stay.

Now for food:
Vancouver - burgers = two rivers butcher, ice cream = earnest ice cream, donuts = lucky's (at 49th parallel coffee), pizza (too many good options), upscale = Anna lena and so much more

Squamish - haven't found a lot there. Backcountry brewing looks good (and their beer is good) but I haven't had their food. Others could weigh in here. There is plenty of "pretty good" but I have never found great.

Whistler - pizza = creekside flatbread, deserts = pure bread (an absolute must in whistler), upscale = alta bistro, carnivore = hunter gather.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 10:54 Quote
Sunshine Coast is awesome but there's a ~45minute ferry (each way) that costs $80CAD round trip so it adds a bunch of logistics. With limited time I would leave SSC/Vancouver Island for another trip, there's a lifetime of riding in both those places.

Galbraith is absolutely worth a day and it is directly off I-5 so no detour. For your style of riding check out Spacewolf, Cougar Ridge (bit of a slog to get to but awesome descent), Happy Hour and Irish Death.

North Shore is good, one day each at the three mountains as suggested is plenty. Cypress the easiest trails to shuttle are the east side (Mystery DH, Jersey Shore etc) they are DH track style, fast fall-line some jumps. The steep tech is stuff like Roach Clip/Tall Cans and 5th Horseman/Wild Cherry (hardest marked tech trails on the shore). Seymour and Fromme is mostly tech/wood stuff which you will like.

Squamish and Whistler have an insane amount of super good technical trails that you will love. I would spend the majority of your time there (even skipping the shore). Whistler valley trails especially, you could spend a week riding there easily, same with Squamish.

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
reed: I think you nailed by diet...perfect food recs!
gramboh: Will look further into north shore and maybe staying in Vancouver a night or two.

Pemberton looks great but that's gonna have to be another trip. One click too far north for me to make a quick return to the SF bay area.

And a crappy wrench to it all: I had a stupid little wreck riding yesterday and came down on my fingers weird. Legit three finger sprain. Hoping it heals quickly and doesn't kill my trip.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008928
Mobile Version of Website