What bike parts do you think will die in the next few years?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What bike parts do you think will die in the next few years?
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
wellgo pedals must leave
and bikhut brakes

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
How long do you think mechanical gears have left on proper mountain bikes, before hydraulic systems take over?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
fortbill wrote:
How long do you think mechanical gears have left on proper mountain bikes, before hydraulic systems take over?

i think when the 5rot hydraulic gear system goes in stock and is a part of stocksaled bikes.
i think in the next 10 years. but i think the mechanical gearshifting stays like the machanical discbrakes for low budget bikes...

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 12:03 Quote
I hope the following parts die soon:

- QR 9mm
It's stupid and flexy, and not as safe as proper thru-axles. I think it will be replaced entirely by QR 20mm axles for DH, FR, AM, etc. (I think the bolt-on 20mm axles will also dissappear), and 15mm QR axles will be used for the really light XC bikes.

- V-Brakes & V-Brake Rims
Mechanical discs are the same price as Vs these days and they offer much better performance overall compared to a V-Brake. They're old technology and should not be found on good bikes anymore (and on most they aren't). And if V-Brakes go, there will be no need for the matching rims for them.

- IS Brake Mounts
Post style mounts are stronger, lighter, and lesss fiddly with fewer mounting brackets required compared to the IS standard. The IS mount should stay on the rear however because it's not causing any problems and I don't think any other solutions have been found to replace it.

- 25.4mm Handlebars and all those stupid seatpost sizes
31.8mm handlebars should be used throughout, as they are stiffer and safermm bars. They're not very popular on good bikes anyway. And all those stupid seatpost sizes should die and only 2 or 3 sizes should remain to give frame manufacturers some flexibilty.

- Tubed Tyres & Rims
I think many people are moving to Tubless (UST) setups for their numerous advantages, and slowly there will be no need for tubed tyres any more. UST is lighter and eliminates pinch flats compared to tubed tyres.

- Standard Grips
I think standard grips will be replaced by lock-ons, which are much easier to work with, are safer, and not much more expensive than standard grips.

And later on I believe that all derailler-shifting bikes will be replaced by G-Boxx bikes, when the G-Boxx becomes lighter, cheaper and more and more refined.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
schiestel wrote:
30jon30 wrote:
schiestel wrote:
i think bmx bikes might disapear too.......................i hope ...............dirt street mountain bikes will kill them off
whoaaaa, thats goin too far, dont forget that bmx is still progressing just as much as mtbs
yea i guess you are right but it depends where you live and what style you like
not going to happen.
watch a bmx vid compared to a mtb video.
like nwd 8.
jeff lenosky's section.
where he rides street. she does a hop to manual, to hop up bench to 180 gap to the next bench to half cab off.
now a bmx'r would hop to manual. to hop manual onto the bench to 180 onto the next to halfcab off and throw the bars once or twice.
the levels are on a completely different level.
mtb will never replace bmx for street.
just from riding my bike to my friends bmx i can feel that bmx is a lot more practical.
it works better for the tight trannies.
it also won't replace it in dirt jumping.
bmx is just too easy to throw around. and not in park either. again the tight trannies become a problem for big wheels, and although you can overcome it you can get them even better on a bmx.
mtb won't replace bmx in any of their main 4(that i can think of) aspects, street, park, dirt and racing.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 12:24 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
I hope the following parts die soon:

- QR 9mm
It's stupid and flexy, and not as safe as proper thru-axles. I think it will be replaced entirely by QR 20mm axles for DH, FR, AM, etc. (I think the bolt-on 20mm axles will also dissappear), and 15mm QR axles will be used for the really light XC bikes.

- V-Brakes & V-Brake Rims
Mechanical discs are the same price as Vs these days and they offer much better performance overall compared to a V-Brake. They're old technology and should not be found on good bikes anymore (and on most they aren't). And if V-Brakes go, there will be no need for the matching rims for them.

- IS Brake Mounts
Post style mounts are stronger, lighter, and lesss fiddly with fewer mounting brackets required compared to the IS standard. The IS mount should stay on the rear however because it's not causing any problems and I don't think any other solutions have been found to replace it.

- 25.4mm Handlebars and all those stupid seatpost sizes
31.8mm handlebars should be used throughout, as they are stiffer and safermm bars. They're not very popular on good bikes anyway. And all those stupid seatpost sizes should die and only 2 or 3 sizes should remain to give frame manufacturers some flexibilty.

- Tubed Tyres & Rims
I think many people are moving to Tubless (UST) setups for their numerous advantages, and slowly there will be no need for tubed tyres any more. UST is lighter and eliminates pinch flats compared to tubed tyres.

- Standard Grips
I think standard grips will be replaced by lock-ons, which are much easier to work with, are safer, and not much more expensive than standard grips.

And later on I believe that all derailler-shifting bikes will be replaced by G-Boxx bikes, when the G-Boxx becomes lighter, cheaper and more and more refined.

I agree with all of those on better-quality bikes. Cost is what's holding them back on cheaper bikes.

I think the non-standard wheel sizes are going to be long gone. Weird ones like 650b ...

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
schiestel wrote:
i think bmx bikes might disapear too.......................i hope ...............dirt street mountain bikes will kill them off

NO i cant see that happening, bmx has just become an olympic sport

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 17:25 Quote
fortbill wrote:
schiestel wrote:

NO i cant see that happening, bmx has just become an olympic sport

yeah, there is more people on BMX then MTB, so it would be the opposite if anything. BMX is also more popular and more known.

standard grips for sure are gone. Lock-ons will replace them eventually, since you can pick up a pair of lock-ons now for the same price as standard.

single pivots will probably disappear soon. it seems now that Horst/FSR/IRS, whatever you want to call it has become pretty much the standard for full-suspension bikes.

lastly i think MORE DH bikes will drop bellow the 40 pound mark. most of them come standard at around 40 and Trek and Norco really showed off that a bike can come stock at weighs like 37 pounds even with a fox 40 fork.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 17:34 Quote
Wheel reflectors, I know its a safety thing, but I bust em off everytime I get a new bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
konaracer19991 wrote:
marzochi forks

Confused Bad experience?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
I think Cannondale might die out because with all of their overly-innovative/reinvent-the-wheel kind of stuff like the Lefty or their proposed new bb standard. It's just too much that ISN'T standard and will cost way too much and take too long to become standardized for what it's worth.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
odin333 wrote:
single pivots will probably disappear soon. it seems now that Horst/FSR/IRS, whatever you want to call it has become pretty much the standard for full-suspension bikes.

I have to disagree with this statement, single pivots are still going strong with many different companies still use them throughout their lineups. Plus they are extremely fun to ride.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 17:47 Quote
fortbill wrote:
when did threadless headsets start to take over from threaded headsets?

1990 or so, I think.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
mtb-crzd47 wrote:
I think Cannondale might die out because with all of their overly-innovative/reinvent-the-wheel kind of stuff like the Lefty or their proposed new bb standard. It's just too much that ISN'T standard and will cost way too much and take too long to become standardized for what it's worth.

Cannondale has made a business of doing non-standard stuff, and they do it well (if it's even possible to do well).

They are getting better - IIRC their steer tubes are now 1.5", they can coincide new BB sizes with BB30, only Lefty hubs are proprietary. Lots of other companies do it too - Specialized does it in mountain and road.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016674
Mobile Version of Website