Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
Kona increased the chain stay clearance in 2020 on the CR's. Probably the same for the AL's

I'd guess they went even larger for 2021

Anything 2019 & older 2.4's out back are going to be snug.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 14:58 Quote
eshew wrote:
Kona increased the chain stay clearance in 2020 on the CR's. Probably the same for the AL's

I'd guess they went even larger for 2021

Anything 2019 & older 2.4's out back are going to be snug.

Thats not completely true. I am running a DHF WT 2.5 in the rear on a 30mm ID E*13 wheel and I have zero rub, zero clearance issues.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
Wonder if the 29's are tighter fit than the 27.5"?

On my CR 29'r a 2.4 would be a tight fit, on the 2020 29'rs they moved the seat stay bridge into a more vertical position allowing for more room. I'm guessing that's why the did 2.3's on 19 & youger & 2.4's after that stock.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 16:20 Quote
I have a 2018 27.5 and I have run DHF 2.5 and aggressor 2.5 on 32mm internal rims with no rubbing and room to spare. Could probably fit a 2.6 but I haven’t tried it yet.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
My 2019 27.5, Minion DHF 2.5 WT in the rear, plenty of room on a 30mm rim, definitely could fit a 2.6.

photo

photo

photo

photo

PS: Got some custom ZEB Ultimate decals from SLIK Graphics...love the matte stealth.

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 4:34 Quote
Thats one clean bike Simann! Must clean it with a toothbrush after every ride, not a speck of dirt to be seen!

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
wcantwel wrote:
Thats one clean bike Simann! Must clean it with a toothbrush after every ride, not a speck of dirt to be seen!

"A clean bike is a fast bike."

But in all honesty, I only have 5 full rides on it. Ha. But I am a neat freak when it comes to my expensive toys. I ultrasonically clean derailleurs, chains, and any other greasy part multiple times a year, re-pack bearings when they are serviceable. Call me crazy, but I can feel when the roundy round bits are dirty.

I do keep most parts easy to clean by using automotive spray on speed wax over the frame, wheels and cockpit. You would be amazed how great of a barrier it provides against dust and dirt accumulation. Mud and muck just slide ride off, especially when hit with some water.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
Simann wrote:
wcantwel wrote:

"A clean bike is a fast bike."

But in all honesty, I only have 5 full rides on it. Ha. But I am a neat freak when it comes to my expensive toys. I ultrasonically clean derailleurs, chains, and any other greasy part multiple times a year, re-pack bearings when they are serviceable. Call me crazy, but I can feel when the roundy round bits are dirty.

I do keep most parts easy to clean by using automotive spray on speed wax over the frame, wheels and cockpit. You would be amazed how great of a barrier it provides against dust and dirt accumulation. Mud and muck just slide ride off, especially when hit with some water.

Ultrasonically clean? What do you use?

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 8:48 Quote
mwolpin wrote:

Ultrasonically clean? What do you use?

Can get them anywhere really, sometimes at Walmart or Harbor Freight, usually less than $100. I have a few of them, the smaller one gets the most use, cost me like $60 at Harbor Freight, 2 years old and going strong!
I use Simple Green cleaner, there are more powerful degreasers out there but sometimes they can react with softer metals like Aluminum. Either way, they are great for chains, chainrings, cassettes, derailleurs.... significantly increases service life of those components if you keep them clean.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
I’m currently using a 29er process 2018 with stock Yaris. I’m looking at rockshox lyrik ultimates but wondered which size of offset to get ?

I am wanting to go up to 170mm from 160 and current fork is 51mm offset.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
A yari is a Lyrik you just need the upgraded damper. I'd keep offset the same as the shorter offsets usually go on bikes with slacker head angles.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
eshew wrote:
A yari is a Lyrik you just need the upgraded damper. I'd keep offset the same as the shorter offsets usually go on bikes with slacker head angles.

Yeah I’m aware they just have the charger damper. I’m planning on using yari on hardtail though and fancy the upgraded red colour too haha: I thought maybe it would balance out if the fork is going up 10mm in travel as that would increase wheelbase? Then shorter offset would reduce it again

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
You don't want to balance it back with short offset, honestly. 170 rides great

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 15:37 Quote
okidou wrote:
You don't want to balance it back with short offset, honestly. 170 rides great

Extending the fork length (by travel) will decrease the HTA and increase the wheelbase. Typically its reduced 0.5 degrees per 10mm of fork travel increase. As well, the wheelbase increases a bit, based on geometry, around 5mm, so going up to 170 and decreasing offset would essentially preserve his wheelbase, slack the HTA to 65-65.5. Not going to "unbalance" his bike at all. If anything, it would allow him to put a little more weight over the front end for traction, the Process was, and still is, a long reach frame.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
It's a question of preference. I put a 170 aur spring in my yari and prefer it that way... all is not about number but about the feel you get, and what one prefer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014131
Mobile Version of Website