Small DIY carbon frame modification - would you ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Small DIY carbon frame modification - would you ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
If you had a carbon bike you loved, that was perfect, except you wished the seat could go down an extra 2" would you consider cutting 2" off the seat tube and re shaping the cut to accept a seat post clamp ?

or sell your old bike and spend $$$$s on the new bike ......

Big Grin

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
If you are considering.... https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/long-wheelbase-mtb-why-i-cut-the-seat-tube-on-my-3400-frame

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 16:09 Quote
nmiodice wrote:
If you are considering.... https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/long-wheelbase-mtb-why-i-cut-the-seat-tube-on-my-3400-frame

oh man I had not thought of using another seat post clamp ? that makes things waaaaaay easier, !!!! you may just have saved me making some horrible mistakes Smile

not keeping a bike I love and modifying the seat post a little + a nice perspective on how to achieve the result I want,

THANK YOU.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
There are also dropper posts with shorter stack heights (I believe One Up is pretty short) and seats with lower stack heights.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
I would strongly advise against that. It might be fine, but most likely the layup is not designed to deal with the clamping or lower insertion length and you might ruin your perfect bike.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 6:12 Quote
Good points again I had not thought of. thank you

SleepingAwake wrote:
I would strongly advise against that. It might be fine, but most likely the layup is not designed to deal with the clamping or lower insertion length and you might ruin your perfect bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
60ndown wrote:
nmiodice wrote:

oh man I had not thought of using another seat post clamp ? that makes things waaaaaay easier, !!!! you may just have saved me making some horrible mistakes Smile

not keeping a bike I love and modifying the seat post a little + a nice perspective on how to achieve the result I want,

THANK YOU.

Hah! I was trying to sway you against it. Seems like a massive risk to take on your carbon frame.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
yep decided against it

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
Do it anyway bud. I work in aerospace with carbon fiber everyday, I don't think you will compromise the laminate at all. Im guessing layup is the same along similar diameter length of seattube, jsut stay out of the gusset region if you can help it.

Also 2" is 51mm, do you really need that much more space? That's over a third of the travel of most droppers, I think something along the lines of 10mm would make a very noticeable difference.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012631
Mobile Version of Website