Disc rotor cleaning

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Disc rotor cleaning
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 14:24 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Maverick-dm wrote:
So do people routinely clean their rotors?
I only clean them if say, something gets dragged in to the caliper like a green leaf or maybe tyre sealant etc.
Other than that, I never touch them.
I clean them only when changing pads to be sure that they are grease free. Otherwise if they work, why bother cleaning them? Big Grin

I second that brother!

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
It's definitely worth cleaning the rotors if you change pad compound.

[ ... ]

a very rough piece of sandpaper

This is true, but it's not really "cleaning", it's more "resurfacing". I recommend taking more time with finer sandpaper than less time with coarse sandpaper.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 23:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Heywood165 wrote:
It's definitely worth cleaning the rotors if you change pad compound.

[ ... ]

a very rough piece of sandpaper

This is true, but it's not really "cleaning", it's more "resurfacing". I recommend taking more time with finer sandpaper than less time with coarse sandpaper.

100%

I use a large flat sanding block and place the rotor on a flat surface. Rub in the opposite direction to the running surface.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 2:02 Quote
Best to use Emery Cloth, made for metal, vs sand paper is meant for wood type materials.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 22:33 Quote
Is it ok to use %99.9 isopropyl alcohol on rotors, levers and pads when cleaning them? I am told that 99.9 ipa is corrosive on painted surfaces like calipers and brake levers. I am running Guide RS with 200/180 rotors and planning to change the pad material from organic to sintered.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 22:43 Quote
EkinOzan wrote:
Is it ok to use %99.9 isopropyl alcohol on rotors, levers and pads when cleaning them? I am told that 99.9 ipa is corrosive on painted surfaces like calipers and brake levers. I am running Guide RS with 200/180 rotors and planning to change the pad material from organic to sintered.

Yes, though acetone works even better on pads and rotors. Can be okay on paint, but test it on a small, inconspicuous spot first, or just use the alcohol on painted parts.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011694
Mobile Version of Website