Powered by Outside

Bronson V2 or Nomad V4?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Bronson V2 or Nomad V4?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:07 Quote
First post on pb but I want to get y’all’s expertise.
I have a 2017 bronson v2 and I have a chance to change out the frame (only) to a 2018 nomad v4 for only a few hundred bucks. Have any of you had both?
I ride park as much as I can but don’t get super crazy. When I can’t get to the bike park I ride the local trails up and down. I am the type who enjoys Down much more than up but don’t shy away from climbing. My buddy who I ride with has a nomad v4 and is sure I would love it over my bronson. I’m not so sure. Am I going to be sucking wind bad on the climbs compared to the bronson? Am I going to be bored on the local trails?
Thanks for the expertise!

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
I have not had a Bronson of any version but do have a Nomad V4 and a few thoughts.

Try your buddies bike. Even if the size is a little off you will get a feel for it.

I'm like you and prefer the DH more than the climb but will climb for it if I need to.

I have the S build with the Fox Performance fork and low end RS shock so no lockouts or select switches or anything beyond PSI and rebound. I am actually very surprised that the rear end feels as good as it does without being able to fine tune it. Climbing feels fairly efficient and it doesn't bob or dip horribly. I run it in the low 64.6 deg setting all the time.
DH runs are fun, as fun as my old freeride/mini DH bike. If the trail gets too boring or easy you can look for rocks and roots and walls to jib off of.

I am usually very picky about things I buy and almost always buyers remorse but not this time. I'm having a hell of a time on the bike and don't mind climbing so much I have picked several climbs to clean before summer.

I'm in the SW and most of our trails are rocks with rocks and some decomposed granite over rocks,.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
Sweet thanks for the feedback. That is what I was thinking I can do when I get bored, just find something to huck off or practice manualing or something. I am going to try my friend's bike tomorrow. Cheers!

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
So I tried my friends v4 and holy crap that thing is amazing! It actual climbs better than my bronson! Down hill on it made my bronson seem harsh and that’s without even setting the susp right. Wow! I’m going for it.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
@jeshnwebs right on. Glad you got a chance to ride your bud's. You are not the first person to have said the Nomad V4 climbs better than previous Bronsons. What build are you going with?

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
I found a good deal on a v4 frame so I am going to swap over my bronson comps and increase the travel on my DVO fork. I will send some pics when I start the build. Thanks for the input dude!

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
@jeshnewbs right on! I just read today that the 230X65 shock also works instead of the stock 230x60. It was a post by a rear link manufacturer but I have no other data. Thought I'd share for your build.

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Nice! thanks I will keep that in mind. My frame came with the RS SD so I just run that for now. Here are some pics of her:
photo
photo

I still need to take the spacer out of the fork to make it 170mm and I am changing out the hbar and brakes and possibly the rear tire then she should be a complete beast!

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
jeshnewbs wrote:
Nice! thanks I will keep that in mind. My frame came with the RS SD so I just run that for now. Here are some pics of her:
photo
photo

I still need to take the spacer out of the fork to make it 170mm and I am changing out the hbar and brakes and possibly the rear tire then she should be a complete beast!

Yeah that's pretty. I like that color.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
To the OP -

How's to Nomad working out for you?

I'm thinking about moving to the V4 from a 2015 Spec Enduro, seeing the nomad frame for a decent price and my rig is getting old (2015). Similar riding to what you stated & have the getting bored concern with the nomad on all but my favorite descents, realistically a few 15 minute descents are generally the highlight of the 3 or 4 hour ride either way. I also ride an XC bike a bit so where it's mellow the Nomad will get a rest. The other bike on my radar is the newest bronson but it's an extra $1k for me and i've been stepping up my descending (at least trying).

Cheers

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
I have not ridden the new Bronson v3 just the v2 that being said Go for the nomad!!! It will really step up your descending game. I find mine plenty playful and never boring. It can pop and hop all you want and can plow as well. It will push you to do more and have fun doing it. Surprisingly it climbs really well in high mode and in my opinion there is no need for the Bronson unless you like climbing as much as descending. I put my seat all the way forward and that helps even more on the climbing. I find the bike amazing because it a super fun lift bike but is just as fun as a trail bike.
Go for it you won’t regret it!

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
jeshnewbs wrote:
in my opinion there is no need for the Bronson unless you like climbing as much as descending.
Some of us don't have a choice but to climb for most of our descents lol. That is definitely one of the reasons I went with a Bronson.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 23:12 Quote
True if you almost never lift ride or shuttle than a Bronson might be better. I like the nomad because of the tiny bit of extra pain climbing for the extra shred power descending is worth it to me. If you can get the nomad for cheaper than the Bronson it would do it.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
Ordered, sounds like a couple weeks out till i have it ready for a rip but excited of course. Went for the Zeb fork so will see what that's all about

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
Zeb fork eh? Nice!! Should be loads of fun. Post some pics when you get it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014491
Mobile Version of Website