Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 2:26 Quote
I know that this topic has been discussed many times before. But it is the only thing that bothers me about my trek slash....

the loudness of the rear derailleur / chain slap?
I have already tried everything. It's not chain slap/rattle in that sense. Rather, the beating of the rear derailleur at root carpets, gaps / jumps. Clearly with an enduro you can not completely avoid it. But when I compare other bikes on the same trail in the same conditions / speed in the same section ... with others you hear only damping, grip of the wheels and the hub. With me you hear rather the damn annoying banging of the rear derailleur.

my setup: 30er chainring with a 10-51 cassette. everything xt

-I have adjusted the rear derailleur
-stfu tried, no change
-put the clutch tighter, but not too tight ( a little better).
- e*thirteen LG1 Plus chain guide ( a little better)
- on all free places of the rear slappertabe attached (where the chains could hit)

could the xt rear derailleur with shorter cage and the 10-45 ratio make less noise? I really try everything at the moment. Because I realize even when I do not hear my bike I feel more comfortable and can ride much better / safer ( I know that's not the reality Big Grin )

sry for the long post and my bad english

photo

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 3:03 Quote
Robinho2412 wrote:
I know that this topic has been discussed many times before. But it is the only thing that bothers me about my trek slash....

I have already tried everything. It's not chain slap/rattle in that sense. Rather, the beating of the rear derailleur at root carpets, gaps / jumps. Clearly with an enduro you can not completely avoid it. But when I compare other bikes on the same trail in the same conditions / speed in the same section ... with others you hear only damping, grip of the wheels and the hub. With me you hear rather the damn annoying banging of the rear derailleur.

-stfu tried, no change
- on all free places of the rear slappertabe attached (where the chains could hit)

could the xt rear derailleur with shorter cage and the 10-45 ratio make less noise? I really try everything at the moment. Because I realize even when I do not hear my bike I feel more comfortable and can ride much better / safer ( I know that's not the reality Big Grin )

photo

I know what sound you talk about, it was present on my Remedy with X01 derailleur, it is present on my Slash with both SLX and GX derailleur. Tried "hall-locking" the RD, tried the stronger clutch, have MRP guide, but still that "clap" noise on bigger hits or rooty section. Hope someone has the solution to this Smile

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 3:12 Quote
yea, i also did the " homemade Hall-Lock ". I think shortening the chain also does nothing. It has enough tension through the chain guide.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 6:49 Quote
have you tried removing the chainguide?

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 7:52 Quote
taskmgr wrote:

wym? like removing the whole thing? naked chainring only?

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 8:16 Quote
trialstars wrote:
We had a broken spoke in a Bontrager line comp 30 29 today, rear drive side, does anybody know the spoke length and gauge or any other info please, the wheel was came on a 21 Slash 8.
Find the wheel on Trek's website, there is a section that lists the parts the wheel is made off which includes spoke length.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 8:52 Quote
Robinho2412 wrote:
taskmgr wrote:

thats how i roll. Tiny 30tooth chainring has never seen a hit. I have an alloy slash 8. Also never dropped a chain

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 9:04 Quote
Robinho2412 wrote:

-stfu tried, no change

My trick - just ride with earbuds in. Solves it instantly Wink

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 9:04 Quote
taskmgr wrote:
Robinho2412 wrote:
taskmgr wrote:

thats how i roll. Tiny 30tooth chainring has never seen a hit. I have an alloy slash 8. Also never dropped a chain

thats why i bought it Big Grin lost the chain several times at big drops or stepdowns.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 9:10 Quote
samty wrote:
Robinho2412 wrote:

-stfu tried, no change

My trick - just ride with earbuds in. Solves it instantly Wink

naaaa, i want that mtb asmr BUT without the derailleur noise Big Grin

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 9:26 Quote
Robinho2412 wrote:
taskmgr wrote:
Robinho2412 wrote:

thats why i bought it Big Grin lost the chain several times at big drops or stepdowns.
then you definitely have an issue. Too much chain, worn drivetrain or drivetrain issues.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 9:34 Quote
pqbb wrote:
trialstars wrote:
We had a broken spoke in a Bontrager line comp 30 29 today, rear drive side, does anybody know the spoke length and gauge or any other info please, the wheel was came on a 21 Slash 8.
Find the wheel on Trek's website, there is a section that lists the parts the wheel is made off which includes spoke length.

Thanks, I ended up with some 281mm Sapim 2mm 14g with brass nipps, they look identical.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 10:08 Quote
taskmgr wrote:
Robinho2412 wrote:
taskmgr wrote:

then you definitely have an issue. Too much chain, worn drivetrain or drivetrain issues.

how long is your chain? need to test that later/tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 24, 2023 at 12:55 Quote
Robinho2412 wrote:
taskmgr wrote:
Robinho2412 wrote:

how long is your chain? need to test that later/tomorrow.
i don't know.

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2023 at 23:31 Quote
I just inherited my sons trek slash 7 since he decided my Canyon Sender is now his. I have not read through this massive thread so my issues and solutions have probably been shared since before.
To start with it had a squeaking noise somewhere from linkage. My friend with a Slash 8 had the same noise and thought it was the BB. However it turned out to be the bolt for the main pivot and it was quick to fix with some grease. I told my friend and his noise was fixed as well.

Now when that sound was gone another sound could be heard. A rattling sound somewhere from the mid/rear of the bike. I checked all bolts without finding the problem. But at last, by chance, I found out it was the tool to undo the rear wheel that rattled. When I pulled it out the sound was gone.

Then another tip. I just purchased the Slash specific super deluxe through shaft shock from bike24. At 210 euro its not much more expensive than a full service for a shock which seems like a good deal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013041
Mobile Version of Website