Rimpact tire inserts. Should everyone have these?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rimpact tire inserts. Should everyone have these?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 3:05 Quote
I just bought a set of carbon wheels and have been looking at tire inserts for at least the rear wheel. Rimpact inserts are only 90g for the 29er version. Seems like a small weight penalty that the side effects of the added weight will be hardly noticeable but with the added protection and potential traction gains. Has anyone tried these?

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
I use Nukeproof ARD, gives a lot more protection than rimpact, especially in carbon wheels.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
dhrideruk wrote:
I use Nukeproof ARD, gives a lot more protection than rimpact, especially in carbon wheels.

What makes you say this? Both appear to be on par in terms of protection.

I've heard the ARD inserts rattle around inside the tires. I used Huck Norris for a while and it rattled around and drove me nuts. Why I decided on Rimpact instead of ARD. Haven't installed the rimpacts yet, but they look and feel good. And they're light. Was planning on getting the thicker pro version for my DH wheels.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
dhrideruk wrote:

What makes you say this? Both appear to be on par in terms of protection.

I've heard the ARD inserts rattle around inside the tires. I used Huck Norris for a while and it rattled around and drove me nuts. Why I decided on Rimpact instead of ARD. Haven't installed the rimpacts yet, but they look and feel good. And they're light. Was planning on getting the thicker pro version for my DH wheels.

Are you running then with carbon wheels? Please let me know what you think about them once you get a few rides on them

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
Yes, carbon wheels. I won't be able to get to try them for a month or so since we're still buried under snow here.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
I've rode with Cushcore for the last couple of years, and the rolling weight penalty is too great. I'm going to try to ride without inserts at all after the Moab trip. I do ride with carbon rims, and I do hate flats...

I haven't tried the Rimpact yet. Have you ridden with Cushcore?

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
funboi-parisi wrote:
I've rode with Cushcore for the last couple of years, and the rolling weight penalty is too great. I'm going to try to ride without inserts at all after the Moab trip. I do ride with carbon rims, and I do hate flats...

I haven't tried the Rimpact yet. Have you ridden with Cushcore?

No I haven't tried any kind of tire inserts. There is a certain section on my local trails that I ride that is a rim destroyer. I ride with about 25-27 psi in the back and I'm 195lbs. Maybe my pressures are too low but this is the only place I have put dents to my wheels. So I'm nervous about the carbon wheels taking a direct hit to a sharp edge rock. My bike is a trail bike but more like an Enduro bike so I want to keep it as light and nimble as I can. Which is why I’m interested in the Rimpact inserts

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
it looks like they are getting lighter and lighter but alot of what i read is that they show most benefit on super low psi, which i dont run. maybe one day ill try em, but for now imma pass

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
countshreddy wrote:
it looks like they are getting lighter and lighter but alot of what i read is that they show most benefit on super low psi, which i dont run. maybe one day ill try em, but for now imma pass

What is keeping you from running lower tire pressure

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
harder tire pressure is nice sometimes, super gnarly, I drop it, but if it's only like an intermediate trail, harder tires feel more responsive, and make me bunny hop higher Smile
really only works well if your suspension is set up good

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
countshreddy wrote:

basically what was stated above, i dont feel the need for it. we have some rock and root but for the most part alot of the smooth trail feels better with slightly higher pressure. i usually run like 24/28 and weight 155lb

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 14:18 Quote
countshreddy wrote:
countshreddy wrote:

basically what was stated above, i dont feel the need for it. we have some rock and root but for the most part alot of the smooth trail feels better with slightly higher pressure. i usually run like 24/28 and weight 155lb
is your bike 27.5 or 29er??

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
I just bought a set of carbon wheels and have been looking at tire inserts for at least the rear wheel. Rimpact inserts are only 90g for the 29er version. Seems like a small weight penalty that the side effects of the added weight will be hardly noticeable but with the added protection and potential traction gains. Has anyone tried these?

I just removed mine after a year from installing them. I have the pro version on the rear and the original up front. On the rear, the extra layer of the foam came completely off. I am very disappointed since now I would have to try and find a way to glue them back together or just use the part that is the same as the original version. Really that would be my only complaint because I have not dented a rim since getting them but I have no idea as to how the extra layer on the Pro version came off while inside the tire.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 14:01 Quote
rickmike wrote:

I just removed mine after a year from installing them. I have the pro version on the rear and the original up front. On the rear, the extra layer of the foam came completely off. I am very disappointed since now I would have to try and find a way to glue them back together or just use the part that is the same as the original version. Really that would be my only complaint because I have not dented a rim since getting them but I have no idea as to how the extra layer on the Pro version came off while inside the tire.

I had to replace tires during the season and I noticed my Rimpact Original inserts had stretched out and no longer fit my wheels. I could actually hear them moving around inside my tires when they were still installed. I contacted them and they asked for pics and then sent me two brand new inserts. They’re customer service is good so I’m sure they’ll send you out another insert or both.

Now I’m running Rimpact original in the front and Tannus tubeless insert in the rear. No complaints so far.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 at 3:25 Quote
Hopefully this will save someone a couple doll hairs. I had the same issue as above, insert stretched so much it was rattling around inside the tire. I managed to cut a piece out and reglue it using the following steps.
1. Cut about an inch out of the insert
2. TRY THE METHOD WITH THE PIECE YOU CUT OUT FIRST SO YOU DONT SCREW UP ON THE INSERT!!
3. I used a chunk of 1/8 steel clamped in a bench vise but any piece of metal larger than the cross sectional area of the insert will work.
4. Heat the plate with a torch. Doesn't need to be red hot but needs to be hot enough to melt the insert (try it on the piece first).
5. Push the ends of the tire insert against the sides of the plate.
6. Once you hear a sizzle slide the insert off and push the ends together.
7. Hold until cool.
Apparently it's polyethylene foam and as far as I know there is no appropriate glue. They're all fused in a similar fashion.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013408
Mobile Version of Website