Thinking of going clipless

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thinking of going clipless
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
Ok so im pondering the idea of going clipless for my trail bike (DH bike is definitely staying platform haha). I was hoping to get some input on the different mechanisms and their pro's and cons (don't know much about clipless). As someone thats been on platforms my whole life, i just don't much about clipless mechanisms.

I'm pretty sure i want a clipless platform style and pull most of the pegs out that way there is no resistance on exiting and on crazy trails i still have a platform to land on if i can't get clipped back in quickly while I'm still learning and getting the muscle memory going.

A little background. between ages 16-21 i rode all-mountain freeride, park, and city free ride almost everyday, so even with my 9 year hiatus from the sport, i can still handle a bike fairly well and the fundamentals are still ingrained in me. i only add this info because I've read that some people feel clipless can create bad habits. Currently i have a Trance and ride single tracks that focus more on the aggressive side.

Current pedal I'm looking at are (but not limited to, if anyone has other suggestions) Time Special 8, CB Mallet, SHIMANO XT PD-M8120, LOOK X-TRACK RAGE+

thanks for any input!

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 22:45 Quote
Cheap ones.. And cheap shoes so its ok when you hate them...

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 23:50 Quote
englertracing wrote:
Cheap ones.. And cheap shoes so its ok when you hate them...

haha i did think about that...figured if i didn't like them than id just sell for cheap on the classifieds

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 0:59 Quote
Shimano pedals at the budget of you choosing.
Specialized shoes at the budget of your choosing.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 1:09 Quote
Tom's advice is solid. I haven't been let down by the M530 Shimano's for the last several years, other than a slight weight drop you don't gain much by buying XT's instead.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 1:52 Quote
riish wrote:
Tom's advice is solid. I haven't been let down by the M530 Shimano's for the last several years, other than a slight weight drop you don't gain much by buying XT's instead.

i appreciate the real world advice on going into it cheaply. the one thing that still has me looking at the other models i had listed, it that being so new to clipless...i like the fact they still have a larger platform incase things get a little crazy i can just stand on it like a platform and keep going and not have to slow down to a snails pace trying to clip in.

i think I'm narrowing it down to the Shimano Saints (i can get them for $50+/- at REI with my current dividend amount) or the Time Speciale 8 since they are only $98 on Amazon and seem to have a mechanism that is a hybrid between SPD and CB that takes the best from both worlds.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 2:54 Quote
Yeah, that's a fair point! The saints would be my pick from those two.

FL
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
I’m a huge fan of the shimano DX pedal. I use them for dh and commuting. For my trail bike, ss as well as road I use the m530. They are damn near indestructible and cheap as well.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
I bought ht pedals which have a system that looks half shimano half crank brothers
Then i bought shimano shoes which were really nice shoes.....
couldn't get used to them,
coming full blast into loose flat corners and waiting for the front to tell you its about to wash is just not comfortable with clips for me i cant commit......
sold them
275$ experiment....
well i got more than half back
like you I have been into bikes of all types for 20+ years
will remain on flats...... forever....

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
englertracing wrote:
I bought ht pedals which have a system that looks half shimano half crank brothers
Then i bought shimano shoes which were really nice shoes.....
couldn't get used to them,
coming full blast into loose flat corners and waiting for the front to tell you its about to wash is just not comfortable with clips for me i cant commit......
sold them
275$ experiment....
well i got more than half back
like you I have been into bikes of all types for 20+ years
will remain on flats...... forever....

That’s good to know and I’m ready to make this a $200 experiment too. Money is not really a topic for me since Biking is one of my main passions during the alaskan summer. I did read that HT lock you in very strongly and hence why I removed the HT x2 from my list. I’m hoping some people have some more input on the SPD vs ATAC mechanisms.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
If i were to go again id do crank bros mallets.....

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
englertracing wrote:
If i were to go again id do crank bros mallets.....

Can you go into a little more detail why? And what style trails and riding you do

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
the ht and im assuming shimano really locks your feet in position like, you cant adjust toe in or out and it really annoyed me
the crank brothers lets you float a bit more and is easier to clip into.

I ride everything.....
trail, enduro, dh, park, and MX and SM too
experiment was on the trail bike
wouldn't dare on the DH lol.
I used to ride bmx park and dirt jump but nowdays 20" bikes feel absolutely alien......

First real ride on the clips i beat my best time on a 50 min climb by 4 mins which is great, but having to back corner entry down 10% on the down................. that is a real drag.......... wasn't worth it to me.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
There is a little float with shimano pedals, not a massive amount but enough to not totally lock you into place.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
My favorite is going one side clip. For jumping I like flats but for everything elso i like clips so i bought the funn mamba pedals that are flat on one side and clip on one side theyre amazzing

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010365
Mobile Version of Website