Interior BC Trip Suggestions

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Interior BC Trip Suggestions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
Hey All, given that everyone is locked down, I am trying to plan a next trip (whenever that may be) and just looking for input on interior BC stuff. Hypothetically my route is below - this is based on reviews, trails etc. but I know nothing is as good as first hand accounts which is where you fine people come in.

Suggestions, making fun of stuff, bashing stuff etc is all welcomed as itll help plan a better trip for me.

Generally thinking between 10-14 days making a big lollipop loop from Spokane.

Fernie - 2 days
Invermere/Panorama -1 day but this could be cut out
Golden - 2-3 days
Revelstoke - 3 days
Nelson - 2 days
Rossland - 1-2 days

Thanks in advance

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
You can't go wrong with any of those places!

My advice is to cut out Pano and add a day to Fernie. Amazing network of trails there.

Hopefully things open so this trip can happen this year.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
Good to know, thank you! Yeah we are planning hypothetical stuff right now but it could all be booked pretty quick if stuff starts opening up soonish. Cheers.

Zachattack54 wrote:
You can't go wrong with any of those places!

My advice is to cut out Pano and add a day to Fernie. Amazing network of trails there.

Hopefully things open so this trip can happen this year.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
Yeah, Fernie is amazing, and offers lift service during the summer, which can be a nice change for your legs if you're pedaling everywhere else.

Bootleg Mountain at Kimberly is shuttlable and amazing - definitely worth a look.

You could also spend a solid week in Nelson with zero boredom - SO much to do there. Be sure to book Travis for a half-day or full-day guided tour to get the most out of their trail network: https://www.kootenaymountainbiking.com/about

Golden and Nelson are great, but a bit of a drive from the southern areas you've listed. It all depends on how much driving you want to do.

Enjoy!

Posted: Apr 24, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
Hitting several locations to get a "lay of the land" is a good idea. But, despite some great riding in Fernie, the town you are gonna want to both ride and hang around in is Revy. It has awesome hike a bike/ heli-drop options and a good variety of pedaling/ shuttles.

Despite Nelson having an urban- homeless shelter kinda vibe, there are a couple destination trails there. But it's no Revy.

I wouldn't stop in Invermere or Golden unless it is stretch your legs, or to ride T4 at Kicking Horse Mountain.

But all these destinations really depend on the type of riding you're looking for as well. FWIW

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
billybilly wrote:
Hitting several locations to get a "lay of the land" is a good idea. But, despite some great riding in Fernie, the town you are gonna want to both ride and hang around in is Revy. It has awesome hike a bike/ heli-drop options and a good variety of pedaling/ shuttles.

Despite Nelson having an urban- homeless shelter kinda vibe, there are a couple destination trails there. But it's no Revy.

I wouldn't stop in Invermere or Golden unless it is stretch your legs, or to ride T4 at Kicking Horse Mountain.

But all these destinations really depend on the type of riding you're looking for as well. FWIW

It would probably help to tell us whattype of riding you want to do. I would offer the almost opposite advice to this. I'm not interested in heli drops or lifts so Nelson and rossland have more to offer me. Make sure you hit the pedal and tap in Kimberley. Also, the modern bakery in revelsoke.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
I'd do three spots tops in that amount of time. So hard to go wrong in that area.

Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
By your profile pic it looks like you're more of a downhill rider, but maybe you like x-country too, so I'll praise Golden here.

I have only ridden Revy and Golden x-country trails. Great trails around Revy, somewhat limited choice. I have not ridden the newer x-country alpine trail on Frisby Ridge, sounds awesome (snow until June/July).

I only discovered the Golden trails last year (been living in Canmore several years - great and scenic x-country here), and I was very impressed. The network of trails is huge, with Moonraker and Kicking Horse lift-access trails on the west side of the valley - Supreme fast smooth x-country rollercoasters at Moonraker and CBT trails. East side of the valley has Mount Seven trails, more amazing x-country trails, with nicely-graded climbs. But Mount Seven is originally known for it's single and double-black descent trails, done with a gravel-road shuttle. 1150m (3500 ft) of descent! Same with the moderate trails, you can climb and descend the entire 1150m, I don't know of that much vertical anywhere else.

The trail map is inspiring, the Red-Star trails are the smoothest and fastest:
https://www.tourismgolden.com/plan-trip/bike-trail-map

Enjoy an epic trip!

O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
Great post, did a search (in the forum section of PB) to find some nice places to ride in the interior. Have Banff, Golden, and Revelstoke on the list, trying to stay on the Trans Canada. Added Revelstoke to the list, thanks!

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
Note that Banff has somewhat limited trails. One of the best x-country trails, Lake Minnewanka, is closed to bikes from mid-June to mid-Sept due to bear restrictions. For the best trail network head to nearby Canmore at the Nordic Centre. Downloadable map from their website. My favorite blue trails are EKG and Long Road To Ruin. Also excellent in Canmore is Montane Traverse on the east side of the valley.
Other nearby advanced trails are Prospector, and Yates Mt/Jewell Pass, check TrailForks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009856
Mobile Version of Website