Haven't raced in 39 years so...I have some questions...

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Haven't raced in 39 years so...I have some questions...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
Yeah, you read that right...I'm 52 and haven't raced since I was 13...grew up in Central Cal (CA-6) back in the day and primarily raced at a local, non-ABA or NBL affiliated track in Ivanhoe, CA. Started with a Schwinn Black Phantom (mag wheels and a coaster brake) and moved onto a PK Ripper (but kept the steel Schwinn forks because I couldn't afford Landing Gears...until my brother handed me down his Bottema's)...when my brother and I signed up with the ABA, we were #941 and #942, respectively...to give you an idea of how popular BMX was back in the early 80s...ok, I lied about the 39 years...I did race a few times in the early 90s when I bought a chrome GT cruiser and raced at the ABA-sanctioned Lemoore track...pointed to #16 in cruiser that year (there were less than 25 riders total in the district at the 20-whatever class I was in)...earned a couple 3rd place plaques...out of 3 riders...raced until the GT got ripped out of my garage...fast forward 20+ years and we're moving to NC and the Burlington, NC track is closest. So, here's my questions:

The Nov/Int/Expert class: This is the 20" wheel class, correct? Not a lot of familiar manufacturers these days (other than Haro, GT and SE Racing), I'm more familiar with Torker, Diamond Back, Kuwahara, Robinson, Redline. Any recommendations for a bike for an old-schooler? I'm 5'10", 190 lbs. (Wish they still made old school Quadangles!)

The Cruiser class: This used to be 24" wheels only. Is that still the case? I see these 29" bikes and don't know what to make of them. Also, is the cruiser class (51-55 is my interest) made up of age-class riders, regardless of 20" classification? In other words, there is no Nov/Int/Expert when it comes to the cruiser class, correct?

The 20", I'm afraid, is going to feel woefully too small...but I also don't want to buy a cruiser and just get smoked every single race by experts and old pro's who've been at it for the last 30 years.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
The main difference nowadays you have to consider is everyone is clipped in in 2020. That can work for you, though. You will accelerate faster and thats fun. Bikes are way lighter too, so even quicker. Cruisers are more stable in air and feel smoother to bumps because the tires are bigger diameter. Your right the 20" will seem smal at first, yet you can muscle them around better and certain skills are easier vs cruiser bikes. Ei; speed jumping and manuals. Sounds like you just need to attain the new school set up all around and spend some consistent time racing. Enjoy it and who knows where youll be in a year or two. Good and fun way to stay healthy which is so important also. I hope something here has helped you out.
Best of Luck.....

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 19:04 Quote
The main difference nowadays you have to consider is everyone is clipped in in 2020. That can work for you, though. You will accelerate faster and thats fun. Bikes are way lighter too, so even quicker. Cruisers are more stable in air and feel smoother to bumps because the tires are bigger diameter. Your right the 20" will seem smal at first, yet you can muscle them around better and certain skills are easier vs cruiser bikes. Ei; speed jumping and manuals. Sounds like you just need to attain the new school set up all around and spend some consistent time racing. Enjoy it and who knows where youll be in a year or two. Good and fun way to stay healthy which is so important also. I hope something here has helped you out.
Best of Luck.....

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 6:32 Quote
If you want a bike that feels bigger than 20"s, you can race OS20" or even 22" wheels (if the inflated diameter is less than 22.5" inches, which most 22" tires are).

If you're wondering what the hell is OS20, read this: https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5891229

OS20 Race Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/655584487968419/

As for Cruiser class, most people race 24"s. A few people race 26"s (including on MTB Dirt Jumper 26"s). Nobody races 27.5" and 29"--those are street cruising bikes.

I personally like to race my MTB Dirt Jumper 26" in Cruiser class (even though I also have a 24" BMX). Having a little bit of cush in the suspension fork really smooths things out. It might detract a little from pedaling efficiency, but not a ton, because most of your crank force goes to the rear triangle of the bike.

Check out this video from a 4x race. (4x or Four Cross is an MTB format that is very similar to BMX racing, except with only 4 riders and the tracks are rougher and sometimes on a hillside).
JBC 4X Revelations - Michal Marosi crazy wallride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yeDW3dHdw

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020917
Mobile Version of Website