Best Chain Checker - Chain wear gauge

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Best Chain Checker - Chain wear gauge
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
Considering picking up a Pedro's Chain Checker Plus 2 or a Park Tool CC-4

I've been using a metal ruler for the 12" stretch but wonder if I'm better off spending $20 for a tool that can do it more accurately.

Anyone have experience with either or a different option?

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 16:35 Quote
Park 100% had the same one my dad bought in the 90s. Quality and easy

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 21:54 Quote
I was working at a bike shop where we had 3 mechanics and about a dozen different chain checkers. Each one had their favorite, but very often I'd walk back into the service are to find 2 or 3 guys standing around one bike trying each checker in turn and debating the results.

Some frustrated Googling led me to this page and the Shimano TL-CN42. Lots of testing and comparison have convinced me that it is currently the best.

I've had a few mechanics complain that because it is Pass/Fail they don't know how worn the chain is. But these same mechanics are happy to waste time comparing the Rohloff, Park, and fancy digital KMC chain checkers over and over again and debate which is more accurate so...

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
That helped me a lot:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/bicycle-chain-wear-and-checking-for-it//

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
photo

This is my favorite park tool chain checker. The other one they sell has this stupid pin that gets bent and then the measurements are off. This one has a 0.5 and a 0.75 side. If you can't get it to fit in your chain - keep riding. If the 0.5 fits, you are almost there. If the 0.75 fits, it might be too late. Simple and trouble free. Will last a lifetime.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 19:14 Quote
Yup thats the one I have had for eons great one. How did you get pics to load?

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 19:30 Quote
Found a picture online, right click, save picture location. Then in pinkbike click on insert photo (not insert pinkbike photo) and copied the address. Presto

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010609
Mobile Version of Website